MP2 Woz_god ($7.77)
      MP3 xLOVEx33 ($2.20)
      CO Samael73 ($15.31)
      BTN Hero ($5.82)
      SB amac92 ($15.27)
      BB zitoun_31 ($3.94)

Pre-Flop: ($0.09, 9 players) Hero is BTN 5:diamond: A:spade:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, 1 fold, zitoun_31 calls $0.18

Flop: 7:heart: Q:diamond: A:diamond: ($0.51, 2 players)
      zitoun_31 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: 10:spade: ($1.11, 2 players)
      zitoun_31 checks, Hero checks

River: Q:club: ($1.11, 2 players)
      zitoun_31 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

I blindsteal from BU can get a caller. He donks on the flop and I put him on Ax. I decided to play pot control on the turn and check behind figuring AQ/AJ would bet and AK would've likely 3bet. River bricks flush draw and any gutshots and he throws out a block bet. I figure Qx would go for more value and any Ax that beats me would have bet on the turn and bet larger on the river so I call for a chop/bluffcatcher.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If you put him on Ax on the flop why do you call? You only beat 3 of these and end up chopping with them quite often anyway. I think he has also a lot of Qx, probably along with broadway gutshots and maybe some straight draws. I like raising there the first time, if we're ahead we get value and if we're behind it's not the end of the world, we just shutdown.

Also we get information on two different levels. First we get to see how strong he is there, if he has two pairs or a set, maybe also a very good Ax, he'll 3bet and that will be the end of it. If he just calls we're either slightly outkicked or we're ahead of his draw/Qx. Second we get an idea of how strong his donking range is for future hands, as people who donk into the preflop raiser usually do it quite often. When he donk/folds or donk/calls and checks down chances are it's mostly weak stuff, if he donk/3bets there then there is stuff he considers very strong in his donking range. That allows us to adjust better in the future.

I'd also check back the turn as played, and on the river calling is standard with those odds since some draws missed, but i wouldn't read too much into his bet sizing. He bet exactly the same as he did on the flop, so it's most likely his standard bet size will everything, which aside from telling us he has no idea of what pot odds are, isn't really that useful from a hand reading point of view. You'll see Qx and better Ax hands a decent amount.

Hope it helps.