NL HE and what has/will happen/ed to it

• Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      I've watched the most recent Jonathan Little video and in it he made a comment about the future of poker. Basically, he expects something similar to what happened in the US to happen all over the world. But I'm not too sure I agree with this view. I believe that most people in the US gave up on poker because it was pretty much made illegal for them to play online poker. He went on to briefly describe brick and mortar games but I feel that online illegality played a crucial role in why there aren't as many fish in the US games anymore.

While the games that run overseas are comparably larger to those that run in Europe (at least looking at from my local point of view) and therefore need more money to buy in. Thinking about it, it's unlikely that a player will get a lot of play time in a brick and mortar game if he uses a bankroll of 2000$. However if a player can use that money on the internet games his options become considerably bigger. I also believe, that many people enjoy building castles out of pennies and most of the fish that we do encounter at online poker games come from lower limits because they usually last longer due to slightly more experience/bankroll they have accumulated.

While I agree the future of online poker lies with other games and not only Texas Hold'em I believe that online poker would have a far brighter future if it was not outlawed in the US (duuuhhhhh). But here are the points I'd like to see discussed:
      -would there be more fish and less skilled players in NL HE games, if online poker was available to US players?
      -would brick and mortar games still be as soft as they used to be a few years back?
      -would online poker be better off if it had a free and open market all over the world (let's disregard the need for monitoring and regulation to simplify)
      -will poker, as a game, ultimately become unprofitable for an average player who spends an average time playing poker on average limits? or will the influx of new players cope with the demand for fish(iness)?

Personally, I believe we will see the US market open again and once the Asian markets become more accessible/serviced there should be a second and even third "spring" for poker (if not more due to various other factors like economy shifts, etc.). For me though it all rests on the ingenuity and determination of the online poker providers. Kind of like it depends on each player if they are willing to learn and improve to progress from being shark-feed to winning players.
  • 4 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      How is it illegal in the US when all the time I see ppl from the US playing?

I guess some states have banned it.

I think they are going to allow it once more and then the Chinese are going to join and it's going to be so many people involved.

But yes, other games than hold'em will become popular too.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      -would there be more fish and less skilled players in NL HE games, if online poker was available to US players?
      If you're asking whether players from any given country are generally worse, then no. But the majority of poker players are long term losers, so if a country as big as USA were to allow its citizens access to online poker there would be a large invasion of new fish and a proportionate increase of winning players. A positive turn of events.

Originally posted by Atoks
      -will poker, as a game, ultimately become unprofitable for an average player who spends an average time playing poker on average limits? or will the influx of new players cope with the demand for fish(iness)?
      Average player=losing player. If you mean average winning player, the natural response would be leaning towards a yes because, for one, this site is training players to become better, with over 2.5 million members and growing. I don't think that's the case though.

Poker is becoming increasingly popular and more players sign up on platforms every day. Most of them don't even realize what it takes to be a winning player. They are unable and/or unwilling to improve their game, and that mentality isn't about to change worldwide. Okay, I admit, the average player is getting better, but by the time he's caught up with your level you will already have years of experience on your side, so I don't think online poker will become unprofitable any time soon.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      @mishka: u'd see even more players if there weren't restrictions in the US legislation about online gambling. That's why iPoker, OnGame and others don't allow US players.

@Berzerger: I should've specified the point about more fish a bit better. I believe there would be less players wanting to improve their skills if there was more bad players around. A player would run into a good player now and then and discard the experience as something that doesn't happen to often. I believe a normal player wants to improve more when he meets good players more often. People are simply lazy and don't want to learn until it's absolutely necessary for them to continue what they enjoy doing.

I feel one of two things is going to happen in the not too distant future:
      A) A new company begins to make a serious effort at servicing markets that aren't as open yet and puts a lot of effort and resources into doing so, resulting in a new big online poker room/network

B) One of the well established IT companies with virtually unlimited funds moves in on the poker scene (most likely with a takeover of one of the poker rooms/networks) and begins an aggressive campaign to service the undeveloped and developed markets resulting in a massive online gambling room

I find it rather amazing that option B hasn't become a reality yet. The online gambling market is a very lucrative market that doesn't need a lot of maintenance or upkeep for the return in profits that it offers. To me it's also rather interesting that the gambling service is rather undeveloped and I feel there are a lot of ways to improve the offers that are currently available.

Either way, online poker/gambling is to see another golden age of growth.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I did some research for the US. It turned out online gambling is NOT prohibited. However what's prohibited are the bank transactions to the gaming houses. Thus the offshore gaming houses are forced to restrict access for the US residing people.

What a retarded law. I hope they fix it. This also explains the Americans on Full tilt as it's US based.