[NL2-NL10] post-Flop

• Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7:heart: , 9:heart:
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 3:heart: , 4:heart: , T:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, UTG+2 calls $0.40, MP2 raises to $0.80, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.89 (All-In), UTG+2 folds, MP2 raises to $1.70 (All-In).

Turn: ($4.39) 5:club:
      River: ($4.39) 9:club:

Final Pot: $4.39

Double checking this, I don't think I did anything wrong here.
      I got a free flop, got a flush draw, put in a pot size bet and then re-raised.

Should I have folded when MP2 reraised me?
  • 9 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      No. Definitely not! You played the hand very well!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I beg to differ, dont play your draws aggresively as a shortstack , rather check/call a bet if you get decent odds with the exception of a monsterdraw (OESD +FD) where its ok to put all your money in on the flop.
      Thats because even if you catch your draw you dont have much money behind so that you can get paid off.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I don't like this line either. Semibluffing in an unraised pot with a board like this is fine, but when you push you're not getting the fold equity you so desperately need for this move and your draw is too weak. Bet less and fold to a raise or call if the odds compel you, bearing in mind that you're not drawing to the nuts.

Also, don't post results.
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks.

I was thinking re-raising was maybe a bit too aggressive.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      From our rookie SSS postflop article:

"If we have a made hand on the flop of top pair or better or a drawing hand like a flush draw, OESD, or monster draw, then our goal is to go all-in."

That's definitely +EV!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      That article isn't speaking of free plays iirc. Usually you'll be committed with a draw as a short stack after raising preflop and c-betting, but the same is not true here.

The all in risks $1.30 to win $2.70 (ignoring UTG+2), which is admittedly close, but not +EV here. Remember that you have less equity against a set or any hand which contains a heart larger than 9, and are nearly dead against a bigger flush draw. Some work with pokerstove shows this as around neutral or -EV if we make slightly pessimistic assumptions.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      indeed , that article is talking about situations where we are the preflop aggressors and have already put a big portion of our stack in preflop. Obviously in that case its worth pushing with a draw. But in an unraised multiway pot , especially with enough people behind you waiting to act , its not good to push a draw with 8-9 outs.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      "If we have a made hand on the flop of top pair or better or a drawing hand like a flush draw, OESD, or monster draw, then our goal is to go all-in....."

..unless we have reason to believe that we have insufficient FoldEquity.

Here we have a four handed pot in which we were not the aggressor pre-flop. The board is drawy rather than scary and at NL10 there are many passive callers.

Check the flop.

Should I have folded when MP2 reraised me?

Roughly EV neutral. Less variance by folding.
    • random3
      random3
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/en/strategy/193/2/ - here is the section about freeplay from BB.

As howard and uc said, this is definitely to weak of a hand to play this aggressive. Even with A-high flushdraw you cant do this profitable in the long run.