[NL2-NL10] Nl5sh QJdd - fd+oesd on flop

• PetterG2
      Villain was playing 26/10/2.3/211h
      No noteworthy history between us.

Is this play ok, or is it just inviting variance? I know I have around 50% against an overpair and 40% against a set.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($15.56)
      Hero ($5.38)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($9.05)
      CO ($10.59)
      BTN ($5)

Dealt to Hero J:diamond: Q:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.15, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.10

FLOP ($0.32) T:heart: 9:diamond: 6:diamond:

Hero checks, UTG bets $0.15, Hero raises to $0.50, UTG raises to $1.85, Hero raises to $5.23 (AI), UTG calls $3 (AI)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I don't think we should do anything but going broke in that spot, we have too much equity against the range of hands he'll felt, and the board is so ugly you never know what you might get him to fold. You're right it's a variance fest, but when you're in great shape against just about anything, it's worth defending your equity. However i usually prefer to bet/3bet that spot for two reasons.

First, it's a board the preflop aggressor is very likely to check back on if he had bare overcards, and if he does and we see a blank turn or worse an overcard that might have hit him, we lose both equity and fold equity against his range.

Second, that lines allows us to be the one making the committing play by 3-betting, which i think is important and makes us look stronger. When we check/raise and villain has an overpair, he gets to decide whether he wants to go broke with it by 3-betting. When we donk, he raises "to protect" because he doesn't really know what else to do and he gets 3-bet to an amount that tells him we're not going anywhere, suddenly it's a whole new deal.

Hope it helps.