Bankroll / Level question

• fenderboy993
      fenderboy993
      Silver
      Hi,

I have been playin the turbo sit n gos on FT fora while now. Played about 600 at $2 until i had enough to move to the $6.50. Played 400 of them with ROI around 15%. I know this is a very small sample size so i could still be a losing player theoretically. It is for this reason i am asking for advice about moving up.

My bankroll currently stands at $600, 50 buy ins at the next limit. I have no intention to move up yet, but im wondering what is the key element of deciding when to move up, bankroll or ability at the lower buy ins? I guess its the latter. So should i carry on playing the 6.50s until i have played 1000 or more and then see what my ROI is, or would it be safe to move up whenever i have say 75 buy ins? Also i have very little knowledge of the jumps in ability at different buy ins, tbh im more successful at 6.50s than 2.25s but again could be variance.

Thanks for any advice :s_biggrin:
  • 10 replies
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      hello

I have heard and read that you should feel that you are beating game. It is also recomended to have 100bi bankroll, you can also try shots to next lvls, when you are multitabling. You can mix your level game + higher level games. Or you can use all your winnigs to buyins of higher limit.

Riddlah
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi fenderboy,

I'm not a coach, so can only give you my own experiences as a Sng reg.

Firstly, I'm liking your approach and attitude to BRM, with this approach you should go far ;)

I agree with you that whilst PokerStrategy suggests 50BI for sngs, the higher you go up the bigger "buffer" you will need.
      I personally think 75BI for $11's & even $22's would be fine. Beyond $22's, I would stretch this further and look to have 100BI before moving up.

In terms of your question.. Bankroll or ability before moving up, I'd actually say both. You need to have the BRM sorted out of course, but I also look to be able to comfortably (consistently) beat the current level before I move up.

In my experience those games up to $22 are pretty soft and easy to beat. The opposition starts to get better at $22 and above and your game needs to be pretty solid before approaching these.

My own ROI drops slightly at each higher level, as you would perhaps expect, but your stats at the moment look good so far.

The only other thing I can think of that might help is that don't go rushing to multi-table loads too soon, this can spell trouble. Especially when moving up a level, drop a couple of tables and play comfortably in an unrushed manner while you adjust to the players.

Oh and look out for regs & make good notes on them/colour code them ;)

Lastly... Avoid EagleStar, he's a bit of a donkey, but can on occasions play really well :f_cool:

Good luck my friend, would be interested to hear others views.

Best regards,

Bart
    • fenderboy993
      fenderboy993
      Silver
      Thank you very much for the two replies :D

Eaglestar thanks for some very helpful advice, it really is appreciated :s_biggrin:

Fenderboy993
    • onepark
      onepark
      Bronze
      um... im doing 100 BB on $2 sng...

i think im gonna stick with it since i had bad exp n had BIG down swing that cost me half of my bankroll..
      :)
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      if you can mentally handle the swings at a higher BI level 70 should be fine (but the absolute minimum imo)

i personally prefer 90-100BIs because when you have a 20BI downer you can still compete.

you will have 20BI downers probably 2-3 every 1k games depending on variance. so its all about personal preference and obviously your roi and ev roi and whether you think you are beating your current limit.

if you do decide to move up. see you there ;)
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      if your 600$ br is all what u want to spend on poker you should aim 100BI+ ... it is similar to being profesional where i advise to have 150-200Bi ... more is better.. but i thing that 100Bi is well enought...

leveles are just imaginary bariers .. u cant think way that players at 22$ are far better than 11$ ...they not .. they maybe play little bit better but if you are good player u should not have problem to beat them ..it is only question of time when ...

btw aim for around 3k sample size ... play like 3k sng at one level and then move up ... or if you are running hot try few shots at higher level
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      I found this to be very helpful:

http://www.pocketfives.com/jennifear/bankroll-management-and-cahout-strategy-for-sng-mtt-sng-mtt-players-3682554
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      If u wanna feel comfortable at any limit ,200 buy ins is minimum.And 80% of people doesnt stick to it and swings makes them move down the limits really fast.Even if u have RB.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      I think when moving up in the lower limits your ability should be the main focus, move up when you feel confident. 50 BI is fine if you have a solid game, as eagle star said it doesn't really get too tough until $22+ which is when you'll need a larger buffer. 15% over 400 games is pretty reasonable but not a huge sample size. I like to play about 1000 at a limit before judging whether I'm a winning player but more is better.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      Its not about being a solid player or killing the current stake.You can still be in a downswing in the micros even if u are the best if you bank roll cant afford a swing of 40 50 BI downswing which isnt that big because100+buy downswings are facts.