Brian Townsend Suspended for 1 Month at Full Tilt Poker

• KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      This is not my work this was taken from another site
      December 22, 2009

Isildur1 has had a stranglehold on online poker headlines since bursting on the scene in early November. Most of the talk and buzz has centered around the record shattering action he has brought with him to every game he has played. In fact, of the 8 largest pots in online poker history, he has been involved in all of them, winning 4. However, in this case, he is not a news maker for anything he actually did. Rather, he is in the news because of the planning his opponents have done in order to try to take him down. In comparing notes, Full Tilt “Red” pro, Brian Townsend has been suspended for one month for what amounts to studying Isldur1’s tendencies with other fellow players.

It seems as though Full Tilt Poker may be protecting the player who almost single-handedly has caused a surge in the amount of traffic to the site as players have flocked to his tables in the hopes of witnessing something special.

Earlier this month, over a span of over 17,000 hands, Townsend managed to take Isildur1 for $1.6 million. It was revealed shortly thereafter that Townsend and others had had lengthy conversations about Isildur1’s tendencies after they had a large sample size of his hands. Apparently, discussing hands in this manner violates Full Tilt’s Terms of Service and is seen as a type of collusion. Other players read Townsend’s comments and immediately reported them to Full Tilt and after a short investigation into the matter, the one month suspension was handed down. The official rule that was broken states:

“Players are not permitted to use the hand histories for hands that they have not personally participated in.”

It seems as though Full Tilt is willing to go out of their way to protect this mystery player as this unprecedented action shows how aware they are to the impact Isildur1 is having on their site.

What are your guys thoughts on this?
  • 28 replies
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      he wants his monies back and i dont blame him
    • dwainbro
      dwainbro
      Bronze
      it's a shame what they did..

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2009/12/pokernews-exclusive-isildur1-speaks-about-the-4-million-7714.htm
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      I think they should give back Isidur1 at least half of money he lost to those "players" and ban them for a little longer. It really is shame what they did.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Hell isildur should be pissed and proud at the same time. I mean - he comes and beats them in a straight game. Then they gather and study his game and exploit him with an unfair advantage.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      isildur doesnt care. his ego is too big to "beg" back for his money
    • SirVanek
      SirVanek
      Bronze
      Anyone thinking that isildur didn't do the same before the debut is naive and doesn't live in the real world.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      this is dumb, I dont see anything wrong with working out how a player plays.
      I stop short of actually swaping databases but working out how a player plays with your friends? thats stupid to say that is not allowed. Might as well ban pt and hem
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I stop short of actually swaping databases but working out how a player plays with your friends? thats stupid to say that is not allowed. Might as well ban pt and hem
      It is reported that they actually swapped and shared hand histories, and Townsend actually compiled a database.

However they seem to be banning him for discussing with a group, and analysing how he plays together which appears to be in breach of the rules.

-Jack
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Unfortunately this is not the first time that Brian Townsend has violated a poker sites rules...

Check out: Brian Townsend using Multiple Accounts at FT and Stars

The bad part about it is that if any of us we're involved in either of these offences, we would probably be banned from the site entirely and our funds forfeited. Here is a guy that knows better and has admitted to violating the rules on both occasions and he is just getting a slap on the wrist...
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      It is reported that they actually swapped and shared hand histories, and Townsend actually compiled a database.

However they seem to be banning him for discussing with a group, and analysing how he plays together which appears to be in breach of the rules.

-Jack
      So.. erm.. if I go to Cornholio's FTP FLSH coachings each week, and, erm.. he plays against players and I listen to his perspective and take notes from watching his play... erm.. and post questions and have all the other FL legends attending the coaching comment on those questions... erm.. and then play those players myself, umm.. no breach of FTP rules there, right?

Right? :(
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008

-Jack
      So.. erm.. if I go to Cornholio's FTP FLSH coachings each week, and, erm.. he plays against players and I listen to his perspective and take notes from watching his play... erm.. and post questions and have all the other FL legends attending the coaching comment on those questions... erm.. and then play those players myself, umm.. no breach of FTP rules there, right?

Right? :(
      They datamined and sshared that with each other its against ftp rules
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by KidPokersKid
      The official rule that was broken states:
      “Players are not permitted to use the hand histories for hands that they have not personally participated in.”
      Why do people not read :f_biggrin:

I'm pretty sure it would be like Townsend, Hastings and like Cole South (though cole south played him after I think) who would be sharing their HH's, im pretty sure they know each other pretty well IRL.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      What I meant pokerkid is, is it against ftps rules if i came round your house and looked at you pt3 or hem?

Actually sharing databases i dont agree with
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heffron89
      They datamined and sshared that with each other its against ftp rules
      No they didn't, or at least that's not what they have publicly come out and said.

Brian Townsend compiled the database, analyzed Isildur's play and then, based on that, made recommendations to Hastings & South on how to optimally play against him. FTP have come out and said that this in itself is not a breach of their rules, as it is completely normal for high stakes players to discuss strategy and how to play vs. different players. What IS against the rules is Townsend's illegal obtaining of the database in the first place, and hence why he is banned.

So technically this means that Hastings did not do anything wrong as he did NOT actually have access to the database. All he did was discuss with Townsend and not even during his session with Isildur.

Obviously it's a fine line and we only have their public statements to go by, but we can't just speculate and make our own story just because they are friends, and unless it can be proven that Hastings had access to the same database then IMO it's a case of innocent until proven guilty.

Edit: If there's any money Isildur is entitled to get back then it is Townsend's.
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      interesting post.

what I don't get is, Townsend's not the only online player who datamines, but why the heck did he allow himself to get caught? wrong "friends"?

I think the reason FT just suspended Townsend is because they can't defend the fact that their own pros violate the site rules...that's why this issue has to go public...Townsend also fronts cardrunners, just imagine how some members there would react "I pay cheaters to teach me how to play poker"...I won't be surprised if people start asking for refunds...and in FT, those other players who lost to these pros, they might start complaining too...

if it's true that Isildur1 claims he's simply talented (the no-poker-book-tracker-forum type of player) then I hope he gets back all his money...and gain more respect by winning some sort of title (do TV!) this new age poker software wars sometimes get to me, call me old school but players who win through their own raw talent/intelligence deserve more respect...taking out the 'mystery' in poker somehow makes it just another online strategy game...I'm just saying :f_frown:
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      he's just had his red pro status removed for a month.

the isildur interview was obviously fake
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      can't blame him. And no this isn't fair for the people who think it is.

Imagine alot of people sharing your handhistories with eachother and then abusing the shit out of you. I bet then you would say it's unfair wouldn't you?

I doubt he will get a refund, don't see how that could be possible. Although just a 1 month ban.. he's getting away with this very lightly if you consider the fact he won 4Million dollar from isildur1. If you see how he has crushed durr at the high stakes i really don't see that happening if he hadn't cheated.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Lol, why is that even a rule @ FTP?
    • paranoid1974
      paranoid1974
      Bronze
      I know that Townsend and Hastings are both members of cardrunners, I'm not sure of Cole. I think part of the violation was that they were datamining with prohibited software and then sharing the info with each other to come to an unfair strategy against Isildur.
      Being that this was Townsend's 2nd violation of site rules, a 1 month suspension was a total joke. At least a 1 year total ban would be more in order.