This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Adjusting to Games

• Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      I have taken a short hiatus from poker for the last couple of days to think about the game a little more. When I return to the PLO tables I want to go at it again at full force. But in order to be successful, I need to have a specific strategy.

I am still playing PLO10, but I am long overdue for moving up to PLO25. I would like to beat PLO10 once and for all and move on. Here is an outline of my strategy:

1.) I will forcus on 6max games, but only play at tables where there are at least 4 opponents.

2.) I will minraise from all positions except BU and CO, if I play the hand. I learned this from a Tribun Caesar video where he said that if you minraise, often people won't re-raise you unless they have a really strong hand. If you limp, people will raise you a lot with a lot of holdings. Since you just want to be in the pot, minraising is the cheapest option. I think this is a reasonable thought process, so I have been following it.

3.) I will play tight overall, but from CO and BU I will raise most hands that I will play. I will isolate with marginal holdings if it seems like I can get HU in position against a weak player.

4.) I will play quite straightforward. I don't know how much value there is in using more advanced concepts such as reverse-floating or bluff re-raising with a bare ace because the villains have to fold a better hand. I think I have lost a lot of money trying moves like this. Some villains fold, I have seen this, but a great many call too much.

5.) I will give credit for the nuts in many situations. This is perhaps the most tricky aspect. I have seen people stack off with EVERYTHING! It obviously sucks when you find out that two people went all-in and you had them beat all along with middle set. However, I have also felt stupid when I went all-in with middle set and faced top set.

6.) I will assume people don't bluff that often unless I see it. I think people do bluff a lot. However, it's difficult to know how they bluff unless you see it. I think it's foolish to think someone is bluffing unless they give you a good reason to believe they might be bluffing.

Please give me some feedback on my strategy and perhaps add some things that I have not considered. Everything here seems pretty straightforward but I think if I plan it out "on paper" it helps to remain focused when playing and avoid tilting.
  • 1 reply
    • NietzscheF
      NietzscheF
      Bronze
      I like the way you are adjusting at this low plo limits, the mini raise is something I will adapt from now on!

The thought of being less agressive preflop from EP is sure saving you $$ cause at this limits people call with anything and to go broke with AAxx is happend to me, 2 many times on pretty dry boards.

Im hoping to beat plo5 in a good sample size, and move on from there. I really cant stand not to be a succesfull player at plo5, plo10 and plo25, since I made good $$ on plo200 and in Heads up sessions.

Good luck, hoping you doing well!