choice between limit/no limit

• Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      hi,
      people starting on PokerStrategy are asked to choose between either limit or no limit for their education. is there an option for people who want to learn both from the start or add the other poker variant at a later stageof their education?
  • 7 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Floating!

At the beginning it is better if you learn only one poker variant. Of course you can learn another one later. But if you mix it up from the beginning on there is a danger of getting confused. And this confusion could lead to loss of money. That's why we strongly recommend that you learn only one variant at the beginning.

Best regards,
      Puschkin81
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      ok, so only one variant from the beginning
      from what level on, at a later stage, would you recommend to start adding the next variant?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      That is your decision. At a certain point you will understand the first variant in a way that you think: ok, now I can start with the next variant. But it is essential that you understand one variant sufficiently before you add a completely new variant.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      From my experience i can tell you that once you get used to the first variant you picked you won't like playing the second one so much, at least that's what I experienced when I tried fixed limit,i play NL, so i dont know about vice versa.You get frustrated, play too little hands, play wrong hands you loose money, its just too much trouble learning the other variant and later going back to your first variant, then its all mixed up.Maybe when you have been playing for like years then.
      If you get tired of your variant and want to try something else.What I did is i played sit and go's, even now i think they're alot more fun than cash games.Or you can try a whole different game, like Omaha.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I started in October last year, on FL. I enjoyed it a lot, and after getting used to what I was supposed to do, and learning to fold a lot, I was a +ev player. I played over 100K hands at that variant, and things went very flat over the last 25k, I couldn't win, though didn't lose much.
      I decided to try NL to refresh myself, and after getting used to the SSS, which is recommended for beginners, I found myself +ev at that as well.
      The important thing is, that even after 100k hands of FL, I was still a complete beginner at NL.
      I've continued to play NL, as I find it quite simple, still playing the SSS of course, and it is rewarding.
      If I was to switch to the BSS, I would be a complete beginner again, and would need to study the right plays before I knew what I was doing.
      As Puschkin says, pick one, whichever you feel most attracted to, and learn it. At a later time, if you want, learn another. Read the articles, trust them, play accordingly, and have fun.
      Whichever you choose, be prepared for steady gains rather than anything spectacular, and don't be disheartened by losing, because you will do a lot of it. +EV is the aim, play that way.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      If you're thinking of trying a game other than hold'em, you should make sure to (I know this sounds obvious) learn the rules!

There are an amazing number of omaha players online who think they have a full house with QJT9 on a Q6222 board (that's actually trip twos with QJ kicker) or chase flushes that they don't have a draw to with just the ace of the suit in their hand, for example. Don't be one of them.

About the only widespread game you can play knowing nothing more than you need for hold'em is draw poker.
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      thanks for your reply,
      as a beginner i overlooked the possibilities for sit and go tournaments, for which it seems that NL has looooots more opportunities than Limit (
      i started out playing Limit, 2k hands so far, but now i am seriously considering to switch to NL, the possibilities for eventually playing tournaments being the decisive factor here.