Playing whilst on the Big Blind

• sm9ai
      This is happening to far too much and is getting annoying.

Whilst on the Big Blind people check or bet minimum so say there are 5 people in and I have something rubbish like 5:spade: Q:diamond: . Obviously I check and go to the flop as its free.

Now the flop will come up something like Q :heart: 7:heart: 3:club: or something similar.

Now I have a top pair so I do a pot bet. Most people fold and one or two will call.

Then the next card comes out and are equally rubbish so I raise to all in, only to be beaten by some one with two pairs of 7's and 3's.

Now what should I have done. Obviously if I had bet 4BB they would have folded, but there is no way I would bet with my hand, so should I have folded?

Should I just check my way through the Big Blind hand?

Another frustrating hand,

I had JJ so I bet 4BB, everyone folds expect one.

Flop is 9,9,8. I have an over pair so I bet the pot, with one caller.

Next card is a 4. I raise to all-in and its called

Final card is a K, and guess what the other player had a K3. What on earth were they doing in the final pot! unbelievable.

So any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

On another note I now have 150 points so I should start earning points twice as quick now :D
  • 5 replies
    • Werdna
      I'd say you were just unlucky...

of course you're going to lose hands now and again that you don't think you should but in the long run you will win more hands then you lose using the strategy. At least that's what I've noticed, having played only 500 hands or so.
    • degnic
      I guess you're playing SSS as you're going all-in so early?
      top pair with bad kicker isn't worth going all-in, many times people limp in preflop with KQ QJ QT which all has you beat. I would check flop and make a half potsize bet on turn if no-one bet and turn card isn't :heart:

about the JJ, just bad luck. on a longer run you make good profit from people who call you with that kind of hands.
    • sm9ai
      Oh yes, sorry this was using SSS.

Good point about people limping in. Might have to adjust my big blind strategy slightly.

Not bashing the strategy at all, in general the SSS works fantastically well. Just playing on the blinds seems to be my week link.
    • Kknight
      My big blind play with the SSS was a leak for me for a while as well. I found myself getting outkicked with top pair (and even several times with trips) far too often. I've gotten to the point where I play the big blind EXTREMELY conservatively unless I have a monster. If I hit top pair with no kicker, I'll occasionally call min-bets to the river, but usually I'll's just not worth it...especially in a small unraised pot.

• Kknight
      Case in point:

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed)

UTG ($3.95)
      UTG+1 ($8.10)
      MP1 ($12.10)
      MP2 ($9.15)
      CO ($10)
      Button ($8.45)
      SB ($10.80)
      Hero ($1.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4:diamond: , 6:spade: . CO posts a blind of $0.10.
      UTG calls $0.10, [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], CO (poster) checks, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 3:spade: , Q:heart: , 7:heart: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.40) 5:heart: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]
      SB checks, Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]UTG bets $0.3[/color], CO folds, SB folds, [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $1.65[/color], UTG calls $1.35.

River: ($3.70) T:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]

Final Pot: $3.70

Results in white below: [color:#FFFFFF]
      Hero has 4d 6s (straight, seven high).
      UTG has 9h Th (flush, queen high).
      Outcome: UTG wins $3.70. [/color]

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Especially since I should've known better.

Rethinking it through now, I'm thinking maybe I should've led out on the turn for $0.30 and folded to a raise. Ah well...