MP1 da1317 ($1.62)
      MP2 djakmen ($1.94)
      MP3 Especulador7 ($0.83)
      CO bidens14 ($2.49)
      BTN Goakiller ($3.97)
      SB Hero ($1.79)
      BB fishpie666 ($1.95)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 10 players) Hero is SB Q:spade: A:spade:
      narbedymen calls $0.02, 2 folds, da1317 calls $0.02, djakmen calls $0.02, 1 fold, bidens14 calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.14, 1 fold, narbedymen calls $0.12, da1317 folds, djakmen calls $0.12, bidens14 folds

Flop: 4:spade: J:diamond: K:diamond: ($0.48, 3 players)
      Hero checks, narbedymen checks, djakmen checks

Turn: Q:club: ($0.48, 3 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, narbedymen folds, djakmen calls $0.30

River: J:spade: ($1.08, 2 players)
      Hero checks, djakmen checks

So I raise from SB to try and pick up blinds and instead picked up 2 extremely loose passive callers (>80% VPIP, no PFR). Flop misses and turn gives me a pair and I try to take the pot since it's unlikely a K wouldn't have bet the flop. Should I have made that turn bet?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I agree with your actions tho i'm not doing it for the same reasons.

Picking up the blinds preflop is fine, but against two 80+ vpip guys it's not a likely outcome, which is why we wouldn't do it with a garbage hand. So our main goal in that spot is to get a big pot going with them calling our raise with trash hands, preferably stuff that we dominated. I might push the size a tad higher but no big deal.

Flop can be a c-bet or a check depending on how volatile your style is, certainly building a pot there with a backdoor flushdraw, a gutshot to the nuts and an overcard can't be that bad against guys who won't raise unless they have you smoked, just higher variance.

As played on the turn I disagree that anybody with Kx would bet the flop. Your opponents are loose passive, checking and calling is what they do. Checking behind top pair is very common for these guys, which is why when they bet or raise you can usually assume you're looking at two pairs+ already. However they'll still call you with diamonds/Tx/Ax/Jx/Qx on the turn, so there certainly is enough value to balance the times you're value-owning yourself against a passively played top pair.

Checking the river is fine, suddenly Jx beats us, Tx/Ax/diamonds aren't calling anymore, no real value in betting.

Hope it helps.