How do Pokerrooms scan your computer?

• One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      Like the subject says"How do Pokerrooms scan your computer?"
      When you read the users aggrement for most rooms its says they can scan any program being used while playing. So my question is: How do they do this and how deep do they get into your computer? How would they tell I have exchanged a HH database with another player or bought one. If I am also doing my banking at the same time can they see this info too?
  • 15 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      they only scan for those illegal programs, which you are not allowed to have at all or only aren't allowed while playing.

pretty sure your asking this cause of the whole red pro incident (forgot the name to lazy to look up -.-) I don't think it was through a system scan. It was other players who said he cheated by sharing databases..
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      pretty sure your asking this cause of the whole red pro incident

Yes and from reading the EULA(?) from some poker rooms. I just want to know if they have software that detects unusual programs running or a larger amount of hands than the last time you played and how deep can they go? Do they check everyone or randomly select players?
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Since you install their application on your machine, they can access anything they would like to... It is only known to poker sites how deep they use this feature..
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Dont worry for a big poker companies they wouldnt steal your data or financial info even if u have over $1 million.

They makes billions yearly, or at least hundred millions. Good imagine and trust is much more expensive than your let say $1,000,000.

"Why you wanna kill a goose when it can lay u a golden egg daily".
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      err, don't they just have a look at the list of programs currently running? i'm pretty sure that's how stars do it -- at least it's what makes most sense...
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Scotty from 2+2 said they can't check your browser or running programs whilst playing because its in breach of their privacy act.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      You agree that Full Tilt Poker may take steps to detect and prevent the use of prohibited EPA programs. These steps may include, but are not limited to, examination of software programs running concurrently with the Full Tilt Poker Software on the User's computer

Thier EULA says they can check for other programs running while playing at thier room. Now this quote is from FTP but most other sites have the same policy.
      I was smart and have a PC only for poker and other nonimportant browsing and a laptop for banking, important files with a good security program so I have had no problems as of yet, although I have read in other forms and with recent events at FTP of peoples accounts being closed because of downloaded HH and prohibited Programs being used and have never found out how the poker rooms go about detecting these programs. Like the other posts and forms there is always mixed info about the extent that the poker rooms go to to find prohibited Program or even HH from data mining.
      Hopefully one day we will know.
      Bronze
      Press cntrl alt delete.

See those processes?

Thats what full tilt can see and stars and all the rest.

They can not check your browsing history they can not check your cookies etc etc.

I posted this before but it was a long time ago so I will do it again to refresh people.

Open up shark scope with your browser then press cntrl alt delete and see your processes....

You will see Internet exlorer there as well as the current page that is opened.
      If you are using Tabbed browsing then it shows the tab you are currently in.

They have automated programs that check your proccesses against a list of things
      that you should not be using. If you are on Stars, and you are running say Poker Edge
      and they see it, you get a warning to shut it off.

Im willing to bet money that it is an automated scan and not someone sitting there manually checking
      thousands of peoples proccesses at random.

So fear not, they can not dig too deep they can only check the surface.
      They can only see what you see when you press cntrl alt delete. Nothing more.

As for hand history databases, they have no way to tell wether you have purchased any or not
      by running any kind of scan. They can however catch you data mining if you are running the
      software that does this.

As an add, I know in the past Stars just warned you to turn it off... Maybe they are like Tilt now,
      and just ban your ass and take your money.

But the simple thing to do is not use data miners or things like poker edge and voila no worries.

I have never heard of a case of someone getting banned for simply using the shark scope web page
      I am just showing you that they can see if you are doing it, and they can see the programs running.
      But just because I have never heard of it doesnt mean it hasnt happened.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      Thank you 8979687. I will try this later and see what is going on.

Personally I just use HEM so I have no fear or problems.

I have never heard of a case of someone getting banned for simply using the shark scope web page

I think I have read(I think2+2) of a person being banned by FTP for having the PTR page open while playing.
    • reimund
      reimund
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Justin37
      Dont worry for a big poker companies they wouldn't steal your data or financial info even if u have over $1 million.

They makes billions yearly, or at least hundred millions. Good imagine and trust is much more expensive than your let say $1,000,000.

Sorry but that's not entirely correct.
      Of course Pokerstars or Fulltilt or ... would not do this themselves as a company.

But as every company they have employees and these employees are working still there because they are not rich.

In fact most of these poker companies are located and managed on some offshore locations (like curacao , antigua, etc.) and there they pay minimum wages to the employees.

So now imagine you are an employee of Pokerstars and you have the access data of your credit card or your bank account.

If you are hones you would do nothing.
      When you would be broke, you might be tempted.

To my knowledge the poker clients (poker software on your PC) are able
      to

- scan all your files on the harddisk (for example your email, private pics)
      - scan your computer memory for running processes
      - take screenshots
      - check your browser history

When you download the poker system you normally have to confirm their terms.
      Most of us don't read the terms. But by confirming them you accept that they might do what I've mentioned above.

But there is an easy solution:

I keep my poker clients on a separate virtual machine ( google or wikipedia for VMware or virtual machine).
      This way they see only what I have there (hence other poker clients)
      On my host machine (the main computer) I have all my private stuff.
      This they cannot see even when they want.

Installation of Virtual Machines is easy and the software is free (example vmware server)
      So I don't have to worry if an employee of a poker company is honest or not.
      I just don't give him the chance to see my private things.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by reimund
      Originally posted by Justin37
      Dont worry for a big poker companies they wouldn't steal your data or financial info even if u have over $1 million.

Sorry but that's not entirely correct.
      Of course Pokerstars or Fulltilt or ... would not do this themselves as a company.

But as every company they have employees and these employees are working still there because they are not rich.

In fact most of these poker companies are located and managed on some offshore locations (like curacao , antigua, etc.) and there they pay minimum wages to the employees.

So now imagine you are an employee of Pokerstars and you have the access data of your credit card or your bank account.

If you are hones you would do nothing.
      When you would be broke, you might be tempted.

to

- take screenshots

When you download the poker system you normally have to confirm their terms.
      Most of us don't read the terms. But by confirming them you accept that they might do what I've mentioned above.

I keep my poker clients on a separate virtual machine ( google or wikipedia for VMware or virtual machine).

Installation of Virtual Machines is easy and the software is free (example vmware server)
      Sorry but they can not check your browsing history or cookies.
    • orcwarhero
      orcwarhero
      Bronze

to

- take screenshots

Wow that sounds like Punkbusters...man that was a system hog.

http://www.evenbalance.com/

I like the VM idea. I have always wanted to look into that, but just like Linux I never found the time. Now I guess I have an excuse :)
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze

One possible solution. The downside is the mindnumbing amount of resources that software uses. I just keep it simple and use a separate pc for my poker adventures :D
    • reimund
      reimund
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger

One possible solution. The downside is the mindnumbing amount of resources that software uses. I just keep it simple and use a separate pc for my poker adventures :D

Depends on your hardware.
      With a quad processor and 4 GB Ram you can easily run 2 - 4 Virtual Machines at the same time.

So it would be a waste of resources to run a second PC then.

When you have 2 older PCs, your solution might be better.
    • JazzyJasper
      JazzyJasper
      Bronze
      I also use a VM on a mac for all my poker needs, running windows 7

I have to do it nonetheless to run HEM. Now i read this thread it's a nice bonus knowing I'm 'protected' :)