Improve poker sessions

• Monkeye

What do you think is better if you 4 table NL10 do 2 times 750 hands a day or 3 times 500 hands? I can't find anything about this on the site? Maybe a strange question but on college they told alway it's better to study 4 times a half hour than 1 time 2 hours ;)

2 times 750 hands = more information less concentration
      3 times 500 hands = more concentration less information (but there are much regulars)

Some times it is so hard for me to concentrate than i am watching youtube videos/searching music or reading news articles while playing. I think more people here have the same "problem". Do you have tips how we can concentrate more at the tables?
  • 2 replies
    • Berzerger
      Depends on your own preference really. If you have trouble concentrating for longer periods of time or like to take breaks regularly, it's best to split your poker time in multiple smaller sessions. If you prefer doing it all in one go, play one or two longer ones. That's the great thing about cash games, you can quit whenever you want. You don't have to enforce specific amount of time or hands upon yourself, whenever you no longer feel like playing you're free to take a break.

I'm not going to advise you to play more tables just because you could, but if you have time to search teh interwebz for videos and music, you could be using that time to make decisions on fifth or sixth table instead. At some point in your life you might stack up so many tables that you won't have the time to take a sip of water during your session, that's how far concentration can go. But for now use the spare time you have at the table to observe your opponents' actions, review the previous hand, make notes and collect other info that will help you abuse the hell out of them.
    • xponentx
      This is completely up to you. Everybody will have different ideas on what works for them. There are even programs that can tell you what session length is best for you, based on your hand histories and amount won etc (can't remember the names of those programs right now).

Personally, I 24 table, and find 2 hour sessions are about optimum for me. I can do much longer, but I feel that after 2 hours my results start to sink because I turn into a robot and make some bad plays. Personally, I find anything under 2 hours doesn't give me enough time to 'warm up', and by the time i've got all my tables up I have to start closing them down.