Help me find and make a compilation of big hands versus big hands.

• suaveplayer
      I believe that being able to detect big hands when you also got big hands is crucial if you want to make the transition from being a reasonably good player (not saying I am already a strong player but well, anyways......) to a very strong player. Of course if fold your straight or bottom set or bottom full house all everytime someone re raises you on the turn or river you are going to make lots and lots of bad folds.

So what I want to do is get as many as possible hands from cash games and tournaments where decent players both get something ranging from reasonably good hands like two pair (especially top two pairs like AK or AQ), to sets and bigger hands while another player also got some big hand as well.

It would be better if you provide hands of medium (and bigger) stakes cash games and medium (and bigger) buy-in tournaments, especially those from big live tournaments. It can be your hands or anyone´s, provided both (or all players involved) players having hands that could potentially be the best hand at the showdown.

The plan is to make a assessment of all conditions (for both cash games and tournaments) of the situation, stack sizes, position, action pre flop, action post flop, reads on opponents on the given situation, and everything else you can think could affect the way a hand develops.

To begin, I´d like to mention curious hands where Negreanu lost to quads twice in the show High Stakes poker, once to Gus Hansen, and then to Eric Lindgren.

Vs Hansen.

Vs Lindgren

(notice how nervous Negreanu gets after being re-raised all-in on the river )

Dude folds jacks full at WSOP 2008

Dude gets his quad sixes killed by quad kings when a king hits the turn

These are obviously rarer hands while your most common common big hands would be set versus set and flushes versus straights for examples. The set versus set or big pair against low rainbow flop deserves special attention because a set is the most concealed big hand and is quite common and will often result in and all in situation that can result in a knock out of a tournament or someone losing a stack in a cash game.

I think if you get to the level where you can detect a bigger set and fold your
      bottom or medium set then you sure are on your way to being a great player.

Please make some contributions.
  • 2 replies
    • Wriggers
      I know you said you would prefer medium or big stakes but you also said you'd like some set over set hands, here's one that happened to me yesterday, looking back on it, it was quite obvious he'd hit something better than top pair.

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
      UTG1 raises to $0.40, 4 folds, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.25) 9, 4, T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, UTG1 raises to $1.64, CO folds, Hero calls $1.10.

Turn: ($4.49) 4 (2 players)

River: ($4.49) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.49.
      Results follow:

UTG1 shows a full-house, tens full of fours(T T).
      Hero shows a full-house, nines full of fours(9 9).

UTG1 wins with a full-house, tens full of fours(T T).
    • suaveplayer
      OK, so how would Villain play this hand any differently if he had anything JJ+,

he could at point just have any overpair and think that´s the best hand.

If I had and overpair on that board I would play it confident it is the best hand, unless someone who is not very agressive in general goes crazy agressive and raised pot/all-in, then I could think queens, kings or aces are no good.

It would be good if people with experience in big tournaments shared some opinions. For example, how willing to go broke with bottom set people are in $100+ dollars buy-in tournaments?