How big you play and how much you should earn each day for a pro poker player?

• davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      I am from China. Currently i am playing 15 or 30 dollar sng
      But it is a risk in my bankroll because i just have 400 bankroll.

how much you play , in china normally people play 1 dollar or 2 dollar sng or nl5/10

and to be a pro poker player you just need to earn 15 or 20dollar each day, and that equal to a normal white collar officer's sallary.

How about the situation in your country?
  • 45 replies
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Holy commies, and I thought eastern Europe was cheap... An average Belgian earns something like 60 euro net a day, 100 a day is pretty awesome. Winning one stack a day at NL100 should be doable, so I guess that's the bottom margin for poker pros in central Europe. In theory anyone who can make enough money to live off poker can be considered a pro. But a pro is not a synonym for good player, not in my dictionary at least.

Word of advice, use a more conservative BRM before you create another topic that contains words like "insane bad beats" and "broke".
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I am currently playing NL30 and i am hard working to cearch BR of 1500$ to start playing again NL50(i was one over it but then i was forced to play back at NL30).

I surely doubt i will be ever pro player but i will be when first of all i will have in my bank account money from poker that gives me comfortable life for 3 years without earning a single dolar. Right now that should be around 90k USD.

So this is 30k$ per year/12 and this is 2500$ per month.

Further more. Lets say i am capable to play aroun 20000 hand per month so to reach that i i need 12,5$ in 100 hands.

So i think i will become pro when i reach NL400 and i play 3 years with minimum of 3BB/100 hands.

This is my calculation.

I think i am at least 25years away:) )))
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Around here life is pretty cheap (Romania, EU) so a 10% roi at the 20$-30$ (even 10$ if you play a lot) should be more than enough to have a decent life.

And that's the first step i want to make...

But who started playing poker for a "decent" life?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      $15 / $20 to be a pro? That's it, I'm moving to China!
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      this is sick.

in australia minimum wage is about $17/hr which is about $16/hr USD

so to be earning a half decent salary for my country from playing poker you need to be putting in some solid hours in at least mid stakes. NL200 + or NL100 if you are a crazy rake bot.

and 33$ SnGs at least but more like $50 with %8+ roi

damn this exchange rate go back in time to when it was 0.5usd:1aud then my poker account would look much better :P
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      China FTW.. luv it there :heart:
      Where do u live Da Wei ? :P
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      Although $15-$20 per day is the normal graduate salary most people from a western country shouldn't be living on that. The rent on my flat in Beijing each month is that and it's not even very central. If you want to replicate western living standards in Beijing i would say you need at least $40-$50 a day (rent+expenses). I went out to a club on Christmas Eve and prices were comparable to London, $30 entrance fee, $300 minimum spend if you wanted a table that you stand next to (you don't even get to sit down). This was christmas eve so it was meant to be alot more expensive that usual though.

But you can make $17 an hour here teaching English which is pretty funny. Be relatively rich (compared to alot of the locals) and all the qualifications you need is being a native speaker although lose all respect amongst the professional expat community :P

Are you in Beijing as well davidgod?
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      in croatia, you can rent a place and live sorta normally, aka food on table+possibly minor reserves of cash each month, if you earn $20 per day

that depends on the city you live in, as in some cities $20 per day would like leave you almost or even half of the money earned to spend on something else besides life expenses. yes, we arent as numerous as chinese folks but our life standards sure aint close to those of someone from western europe :P
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Poker is so much better when you live in a 3rd world country :D

Here in Brazil the minimum salary is about $300/month (even though it's basically impossible to live with one, unless you live alone and don't care much about having fun). Someone making $1500/month in poker earns more money than some people with a university degree.

Back to the topic! You should play smaller stakes, there's no need to suffer a risk of going broke. Take your time and use a good bankroll management (50 buy ins at least) and you will be at the stake you want in no time.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Damn I wish I didn't live in the UK :( To think, with a few hours a day you could actually make a decent living on NL25 :o
    • warmedia
      warmedia
      Bronze
      in canada you would need approx 70$ a day to make a living of poker and have a decent salary
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I need to make like $200k a year to survive :(
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      But that's like 52 hands for you isn't it?
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      ZOMG :D
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I almost feel a little sad for you :(

Here the average monthly salary is like 500$, maybe even less now. Do you want to have a crappy part-time job as a student? Then you're lucky with 2$/hour.

But still, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5oYNXJB3g&feature=related minutes 2-3:30.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      dam the uk, the average salary is £25k so about $40k or about $3000 a month before tax
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GooRukYONG
      China FTW.. luv it there :heart:
      Where do u live Da Wei ? :P
      lol You can speak Chinese, don't you .
      I come from Guangzhou which is the capital city of Cantonese province, near to Hong Kong.
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by csnmf
      Although $15-$20 per day is the normal graduate salary most people from a western country shouldn't be living on that. The rent on my flat in Beijing each month is that and it's not even very central. If you want to replicate western living standards in Beijing i would say you need at least $40-$50 a day (rent+expenses). I went out to a club on Christmas Eve and prices were comparable to London, $30 entrance fee, $300 minimum spend if you wanted a table that you stand next to (you don't even get to sit down). This was christmas eve so it was meant to be alot more expensive that usual though.

But you can make $17 an hour here teaching English which is pretty funny. Be relatively rich (compared to alot of the locals) and all the qualifications you need is being a native speaker although lose all respect amongst the professional expat community :P

Are you in Beijing as well davidgod?
      My mother is from Beijing. And I have been there for at least 20 times. Yes, in beijing everything is very very expensive. Sometimes you will find something even more expensive than western countries.

In the city I live, things are also a little bit expensive.
      But in most normal cities, everything are cheap.
      In some small cities a lot people earn $200 dollar a month, and in the village maybe just $100 a month or less.
      So sometimes a meal in the restaurant in Beijing or Shanghai, or Guangzhou means their a week's salary.

And yes if anyone is a English native speaker, he can earn decent money in the big city by teaching English, and absolutely no certificate is required. :D
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      you guys are pretty lucky. In switzerland the average pay for a student's job is about 17-20USD/hr (there's no legal mimimum wage). The crappiest little 1-piece studios are usually upwards of 400$/month.
      I think the average salary is somewhere around 4000$/month. An engineer fresh out of university would get about 80k/yr

by the way, before going pro, i'd recommend having *at least* 3 months' worth of living expenses saved up (preferably more), and a very nitty BRM. something like 200BI for SNG's, or 100bi for NLSH. You should also be able to make at least double what you actually need per month, to have a little financial security, especially since winrates decrease as the games get tougher...

Also make sure to make enough money to be able to go out a lot, cause life without work or school is pretty lonely ;)