[NL2-NL10] Nl5 QQ

• amplifyd
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, Q.
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.15, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.67) 6, A, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.42, CO raises to $2.22(All-In), Hero calls $0.80.

Turn: ($6.11) J (2 players)

River: ($6.11) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.11.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and queens(Qc Qs).
      CO shows three of a kind, aces(3h Ah).

CO wins with three of a kind, aces(3h Ah).

Was it right to c-bet? I think my bet was a little too big anyway.
  • 2 replies
    • AAkthxbye
      My opinion:

Preflop is fine. The 3bet is largeish, but you're in a bad position so I guess you don't mind taking it down before the flop too much.

I would definitely contbet, but a smaller amount, say a little over half a pot. Like $0.85-$0.90. Maybe even less to represent an ace and disguising it as value bet. And if he shoves I'm folding.

Your line here is fine I think. Due to your large contbet you're pretty much committed to call his shove in the unlikely case he holds a smaller pocket pair (not 66). With a smaller contbet maybe you still could've folded? Even more likely with a smaller 3bet preflop?
    • MaestroOfZerg

It's sad. One of those spots where you really need an idea of how villain is playing. How does he play Ax against a check from you, how does he play Ax against a bet from you. Basically, how can you get him to tell you what he has.

Some fish have an enormous range for limp/calling so they won't have an A most of the time, yet you can induce a shove from worse hands by betting small with the intention of calling it off, or even check and let them go nuts with whatever they have while accepting the loss the times he indeed has Ax.

Others have a much tighter limp/calling range and usually can't let go of pocket pairs and Ax hands mostly, so against them we're not so happy. If we bet they'll shove Ax, they might call one with a pocket pair but they'll mostly give us the A and fold. We'd prefer checking and we can get away if they bet when they're passive.

As a default i'd probably just c-bet half pot and call it off against an unknown fish, already a lot of money in there and you never know when they'll spazz out with something you don't expect. But by betting huge you deter them from doing anything stupid, you usually want to give your opponent the opportunity to make mistakes.

Hope it helps.