Do you really follow ICM's suggestion?

• davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      I trained with pokerstrategy's ICM trainer a lot. But I could not say I follow the ICM's suggestion.

I will play more aggressively in the beginning of bubble, and play much more tight in the middle of bubble. And I found out that it run better than just follow ICM's suggestion.

When it comes to 3 or HU , I just use SAGE strategy.

Is my feeling is wrong, or my strategy is reasonable?

Who can tell me .

I think my biggest problem is that I steal much less blind than the ICM's suggestion.

Is the most people in the middle to high stake SNG have the ICM sense of they just play according to their feeling?
  • 5 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      You should follow ICM unless there is a strong reason not to (blinds increase, bubble or chip leader abuse, etc). Still confused? Read Moshman.

Basically ICM doesn't consider future play (doesn't care about your next hand) and player skills. So, if you know in the future you need more chips you need to push even though ICM says fold (you'll otherwise go under 5BB) or if a player is super bad don't push (he's either folding every continuation bet, folding to a raise, going broke with nothing, etc..), try to exploit him.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      ICM doesn't tell you to do anything it is just a model that gives a $ value to the chips that you have. The ranges in the ICM trainer are the nash equilibrium ranges that are unexploitable by your opponents but this does NOT mean they are the optimum ranges against all opponents. One example, the nash ranges suggest to push ATC in SB because BB's nash range says he has to call very tight. If in reality BB is calling much looser pushing pushing the bottom of your range would become -EV$. Also, if players are calling too tight (tighter than the nash ranges) there will be +EV$ opportunities to push wider than the nash ranges. Overall, following the ranges in the ICM trainer is a good start but unless your opponents are perfect there will be better ranges.
    • Kaner333
      Kaner333
      Bronze
      solid post there by gun
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GunFlavoured
      ICM doesn't tell you to do anything it is just a model that gives a $ value to the chips that you have. The ranges in the ICM trainer are the nash equilibrium ranges that are unexploitable by your opponents but this does NOT mean they are the optimum ranges against all opponents. One example, the nash ranges suggest to push ATC in SB because BB's nash range says he has to call very tight. If in reality BB is calling much looser pushing pushing the bottom of your range would become -EV$. Also, if players are calling too tight (tighter than the nash ranges) there will be +EV$ opportunities to push wider than the nash ranges. Overall, following the ranges in the ICM trainer is a good start but unless your opponents are perfect there will be better ranges.
      Thank you. I am agreed
    • DiegoFueng
      DiegoFueng
      Bronze
      get sng wizard