schris sng journey(2012 Recap)

• Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Hello dear readers of ps.com, new year is coming(in about 6 hours local time) and for a long time i was thinking of starting a blog so i think that time has came.As u get from the title that will be a SNG blong at the platform of full tilt.
      Lets start with a little info about me.I am a 24 years old guy from Greece still trying to finish the university ( !! ), started playing poker 2 years ago .

First year was a cash game year and was trying to build a bankroll but i didnt go further than nl25 sh. I ended up cashing out all my profit last november since i couldnt handle much the swings (got some chances at nl50 but still was too stressful for me at that time to loose 50$ pot in a single hand) so i got tired about this and left with 100$ at FT.I wasnt a loosing player (despite i had 3 deposits of 300$ max) actually i had a small profit, cashed out like 1k but i havent kept any histories to show some graph or stats .After that i decided to give it a shot to sngs.Read some articles ,saw some videos and started at 2$ turbo at ft. Quickly i changed to 6$ without following a solid brm but stayed there like forever.

My main problem was that i didnt have much confidence about my play and didn't have a single guy to talk about that .Allthough i was having more than 100 bis for the next level i was still playing the 6$.I ve played almost every kind of sngs, from regular to super turbo,from shorthand to 45ppl and some mtts but the limit was still close to 6(5-7.5).Then i ve met Atoks from ps and he boosted my confidence(a hail to Atoks ! ) i moved up finally at 11$ with a 200bi br(hey stop laughing i can see u :D ) allthough i wasnt looking at brm at all .

I am still playing the 11$ but now and my br almost reached the 200bis for the next level ( i ve told u to stop laughing ! X( ) but that wasnt about the lack of confidence i just wanted to have a good sample of games at the 11$ limit before i make to the next step . Made a cashout for x-mas shoping like half of my br and i am gonna start university exams after the end of holidays so the real grind will start at february.January will be just some 11$ sngs and then a new start at 22$.

That's all for now ,my second post will be some goals and thoughts of poker in general and a small graph of my last sessions.Life time graphs will follow after the 7th of January since i am at my parent's home for x-mas. I hope u didnt get tired from the length of my first post, i wish you a happy new year and i apologize from the beginning for any syntax and spellings errors .
  • 350 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Schris7,

Great intro, good to see you blogging :s_thumbsup:

Good luck with the sng's, I do quite a lot of them on Full Tilt too ($11 to $55), so will try to avoid you. There's plenty of donkeys out there for all of us strategists, no need to compete directly ;)

For the record, I personally think you've got a great BRM approach and should do well.

Good luck buddy, will follow your progress with interest.

Best regards,

Bart
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Hello again. New year came and since my night plans for going out have been canceled last minute (nice new year start .. :( ) i ve decided to make my second post . As i promised i will make some goals and give some thoughts about how i see poker and a graph of the last sessions i got.

My goals for new year will be like the last year , to gain as much $$$ i can . I dont care much to gain reputation and i dont have goals of becoming millionaire by playing poker , i could even care less if i dont play very good poker since i can make $$ in long term .( and now u re right to ask how u wanna make money if u play bad poker ). To answer that i dont mean to play -ev poker and be a loosing player i just dont care to perfect my poker play to reach high stakes for example. That's also a big leak of me that i got money tilt issues . I had many sessions that i made the right moves but got sucked out and variance hit me many times and despite i know it was bad luck and that variance hits everyone i will still feel sad for the money i ve lost. Let's say i ve made 210$ last week i would prefer to gain 30$ per day than having a 150$ upswing then a 300$ downswing then a big upswing etc.. it really hurts me mentally and i need to work on that . Maybe thats the reason i loose some motivation of playing after i have a big upswing and as u have seen from your own game the sadness you feel when u have a downswing isnt equal to the hapiness you have on an upswing or that's just me ? :)

Now as far as of how i see poker , to be honest i am not the guy that will say "i am in love with that game" .Of course i dont say that someone force me to play poker without my will but i just see it as my only option i like more to make some money. ( now dont start whining that i should stop playing poker and try pac-man but i am expecting an ironic post from ihufa :) ).

I am sure most of you wont even read these long posts and probably you dont even care much about my thoughts for the game and just waiting for some graphs. For those people i will show my first graph . It is my last 120 sngs i ve played from my parent's home and the pc+screen i was using surely had a huge impact since i wasnt used to these and it was for sure -ev.I usually 6 table 9 handed sngs atm but that screen was smaller and i had to 4table but because i was boring i 8table cascading the 4 tables to the other 4 so i was loosing much info about how the opponents were playing( and ive managed to make again a big post :D )

As you can see i had a nasty downswing but luckily i ve managed to overcome it in a session.My br atm is at 1926$.

sngs played : 109
      roi : 5.7%
      itm :38.5%

I dont like my roi at all and i like even less the % of ITM but i have to add the history of the start of the december which i dont have atm to see if i was at my desire roi for the month which i want a 10%+ so i can start 22$ with more confidence .

ps. @EagleStar88. pm your nick at ft if u want so i can check the history between us and see if its profitable to avoid you or not :D :D .
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      hi chris!

found your blog hehe.

good luck with the games. :)

<3
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      hey alittlemorethan2 :D .
      So since i am not in a mood to play these days cause of studying for my future exams and dont wanna mentally to be distracted by the swings of poker i ll post my life time graph according to sharkscope. More details about each limit and in each kind of sng(6-45ppl)i ll have some details after the 7th of january as i ve said in previous post.

i hope i ll start soon grinding again cause lessthanthree is already ahead me and need to catch him up. Also i am looking forward for our first sweat sessions <3 :) .
    • LtoC
      LtoC
      Bronze
      I will follow your progresses very carefully... Don't you have problems with traffic on 27 players on FT?
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      LtoC

I will follow your progresses very carefully... Don't you have problems with traffic on 27 players on FT?
      Actually i have focused on 9handed for the last 1.5 month but ye the traffic wasnt so big at 27 ppl it was much bigger to 18 and 45ppl regular speed .I was just mixing tables in my sessions when i was playing 18-45ppl.
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      So i am back from the holidays but still exams are running next week so i still dont have time to play. As i ve promised i will post my whole december graph and stats and perhaps some days after i will post a more detailed view of each limit i ve played.

tourneys : 293
      ROI : 8.9%
      ITM : 38.9%
      Winnings : 312(391 with rb)
      $/hr : 10.90

I can't say it was a bad month but still i didnt achieve my starting goals which were >10%roi >40%ITM and a sample of >500sngs.

Allthough it seems ev line is so low i still believe that ev line isnt accurated for sngs and i dont pay much attention. It only works for psycological reasons like when i have a better ev line that my current line i can say to myself i am just unlucky(the other way around doesnt work :D )

Despite the fact i am eager to start grinding again i promised to myself i will focus first at my exams which start the next week.They will last 5 weeks but only the first is the crucial one .So i hope after the next week i will start playing again. Of course i won't achieve the goal of 500sngs / month cause i ve already lost 7 days of grinding and i will loose more but i hope i ll manage to achieve at least the iron man points and it would be great to have same roi if not better like the previous month .
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Very nice blog, hopefully I reach your lvl one day
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      good luck with your exams Schris7 :) looking forward to more session reviews when you get some more time
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Keep the blog going... I also mostly stick to SNG's, my favourite format. Full Tilt has been the worst site for me to play on overall in terms of results, although I really enjoy the software. I'd like to hear your insights along the way. That's great that you build your bankroll up so steadily!
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Time for some graphs to tease you a bit until i start my grinding again !

These are my lifetime stats for each limit ( I miss like 500sngs probably some of 6.5$ and 3$). These are mix tables of 6handed to 45handed and both speeds (regular-turbo)

If someone needs to know my stats for a specific limit and type of sng don't hesitate to ask. So overall is something like 3700 sngs for 12-13 months of play . The sample is small for such a big time and i know i have to put more volume . I want to have at least 5k games played until the end of the year .

So if someone wants to know any more details about me he is free to ask . The more feedback i get the more i update my blog :) . Next week probably same day same time i will have at last my first session for the new year !!
      Bronze
      Nice blog, Got to mark this one I love reading SNG blogs.

Nice work so far.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      nice stats chris. think you can move up with confidence looking at that ROI :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Yeah, nice to see another SnG blog - keep it up and good luck with your goals!

nice $/hr :)
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey Schris7 :)

I finally managed to catch up with ur blog (my first day off in this year lol sorry I didn't post sooner :) ). I really like the way u started, the blue text is easy on the eyes :D As far as boosting ur confidence goes, I'm sure I didn't do much more, than told u the things u already knew/suspected out loud, but thanks for the mention, I'm really happy I could help u improve :)

Ur stats are (IMHO) exactly what every player looking at playing SnGs should strive for. U have managed to build a very solid base for ur poker future and that is not an easy thing to achieve. Just look at all the "omg omg wtf onlike poker is rigged!!11!21!" threads. I wish u to continue ur progress, it was obvious to me, that u have what it takes to beat SnGs very early, and I hope u will find the motivation to meet all ur poker goals :) I'll be keeping an eye on ur blog (isn't it fun to blog btw? :P now u know how all the long posts came to be in my blog :D ).

Hope ur doing well with ur exams! Should u need any help with the poker lemme know, I'll try to help if possible! Take care and I'll cya round :)

P.S.: Not much on msn these days cause somehow (don't ask how cause it makes no sense to me) it's MSN that's borking up my internet connection. Tried re-installing it twice and the problem reappeared both times :\
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Ok guys havent update my blog for a while but to be honest there is nothing i can update atm since i am still having exams and studying. I will also think that my first session of the year will be a huuuuge downswing cause atm i am running really HOT at my exams 3/3 at the moment and counting :) . For today i will post my lifetime graph of 11$ turbo 9 handed ( just started them 3 months ago so its not a big sample ) . My graph will probably anger most ppl that are running under ev :D

So... yes i am running almost 50 bis above EV!!. Allthough i have a similar sample at 6.5$ i am running 20 bis below ev there i have changed my game a lot between these two limits .
      I abuse more the bubble and i am not afraid to get crippled . The result of that is that i have more 4th positions now but there is a huge difference at my 1st positions also so more aggresive is better than just keep playing tight to enter the money. ( of course it really matters what opponents u face.)

As u probably know i dont have great respect to the ev line for sngs but.. (there is always a but) what if i am wrong and ev really counts ? that means i am just a lucky bastard who is fighting to survive at this limit and i have that thought(and some worries) somewhere back in my head that my play isnt as good as my stats shows . The only certain is that time will tell but i would like to hear your thoughts. Am i lucky ? Is ev line overstimated ? Am i playing good ? A little of all ? Have to mention though that at my 90sngs where u see the nice upswing it was the first time i had sweat session with atoks (4 wins in 4 sngs =) )so it was the session that boosted my confidence about my play and raised that green line . Coincidence ? Maybe , maybe not u will decide . :P
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      You should filter out the multi table sit n go's as HEM cant calculate the EV line for them.
      It would be interesting to see just your 9 man sng's
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      it is just my 9man :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well even your EV ROI isn't so bad - you're not 'struggling to survive' since your EV ROI looks around 5% which is not so terrible.

But I wouldn't worry too much at the moment - play another 500 and see if it evens out.