[NL2-NL10] KK deep with hideous flop. Protect or get more value? (NL25)

• pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $12.08
      Hero:
      $10.55

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.71 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:heart: , K:spade:
      Hero raises to $1.00, 5 folds, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.10) T:spade: , 8:spade: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero...?

I honestly was clueless here. If the board wasn't monocoloured I would of course have gone broke here. Stats are irrelevant because of very few hands.

The bet from villain is too small to be significant, but with such a horrible flop, I think it's either way ahead or way behind. I have the 2nd nutflush redraw here but I think I often am behind of A :spade: x on this flop. I was clueless on what to do here, and I didn't know what was the most +EV line in this situation to get the most value out of my monster hand against this horrible board. Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • AnnaKurnikowa
      AnnaKurnikowa
      Bronze
      I like this situation =) If you just calldown you have a problem in each case - if the flush appears the turn, one of the following spots will become reality:

1. he has the nutflush, you can't fold (stack gone)
      2. he has no flush (you don't win any money)
      3. he has a worse flush and will fold on action (you don't win any money)
      4. he has a worse flush an will call all in (Q, J, T) (you win a stack)

as you see the possibility that you win a stack with your flush is just very low - the opposite is the case. When the fourth spade appears, you are isolated against the nutflush if the opponent calls your all in.

On the flop you have 9.55$ left. The pot is 2.6$ on the flop - I like the potsizebet here so you can ship it at the turn and thus protect from the nutflushdraw. If he is willing to chase his draw he'll do it in any case - don't make it too cheap for him.

You like to go all in as soon as possible because you either have the best hand or the best draw in this situation (just in the case he did slowplay AA with A of spades you're crushed :p). Even against a set it's ok to go all in here because that's just a small part of his range.

If you have the best hand you want to protect as much as possible (go all in as fast as possible) or if you have the best draw you want to get the highest chance to win and thus you want 2 drawing cards (turn + river) instead of just 1 (river) to complete your draw (go all in as fast as possible).

So imo the best line is the potsizebet as an answer to his mindonk. If he 3bets you - ship it! If he calls you, ship it on the turn. The only turncard that you won't like will be an A that is not spades, but that's also fine to play.

Cool spot! ship it, baby ;) And happy new year

AK
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Since shoving flop is overbetting because the pot is so small, I'd raise to potsize ($3.6) as well so I agree with Anna :) !

I don't like calling down since you are sure to lose value, you have pocket kings with the 2nd nut flush draw !

- Gerv
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Thank you both for the comments. Since I was clueless what I did was shove over the top as I figured I'd be committed anyways if I reraise to anywhere near pot size and would maybe generate a bit more fold equity since my opponent wouldn't have the option of revaluating turn and seeing if he hit anything from his range.