OOP donk bets vs SSS

• Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I have noticed recently that when playing SSS on NL20 my raises from MP2, MP3, LP1 and BU are increasingly being cold called by one of the blinds (invariably a big stack). They will then donk bet about pot on the flop frequently meaning I have to fold with possibly the best hand.
      I am sure that this is simply an explitation of SSS and am looking for ways to counter this. Has anybody else found a way around this or got some idea of what my calling range should be?
      Obv I shove with an overpair or if I have hit but with A :heart: Q :heart: on a K :spade: 8 :club: 10 :club: flop I would normally fold to this type of bet even though I may be ahead.
      I have called a few times with "just" an A high and been way ahead, and a few times with TPTK and been behind. I also called once with JJ on a 998 flop to find Villan had 44, the 4 on the river was immaterial as I was just happy I made the right call.

I have over 18k hands at NL20 SSS with +2.59BB/100 so am possibly becomming very readable here. I plan to move up to NL30 and NL50 in a week or so and would like to have a better idea of how to react if this pattern continues at those limits.

Cheers for any help on this one and sorry if the post is a bit long.
  • 4 replies
    • Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      Seems pretty simple .

.. you Raise and try to go all in with

every top pair, if you have at least a jack as a kicker
      every overpair , 3 kind or better
      every OESD or Flush draw if you raised before the flop

Every other hand you fold.

So if they donk bet you , just move all in with your made hand / draw or fold.

When you said you called with JJ that was not correct SSS play , you correct action was to raise the donk bet

I dont play SSS but I printed out the material so it's in front of me .
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi,

thanks for the reply. When I said I called the donk bet, the call put me all in as he bet pot and I had less than pot left.
      I called all in to a donk bet last night with AK on a 10 high board (I will admit to being on tilt slightly having folded to 4 or more of these type of bets over the previous 10 mins, costing me over 1 BI). Villan had A4os and had missed completly, I took the pot and for some reason he seemed angry - got me off tilt and cheered me up no end lol.

I agree with your assessment of when to make the call/push AI ott and would normally call/shove in those situations.

I guess I just got irritated at repeatedly raising pre to have the sb or bb flat call then bet me off the pot when I miss (which was seeming to be 7-8 out of 10 flops). Raising in LP with 10, 10 to see a K high flop that gets bet means I have to fold even though I may still be ahead, and I seem to be dropping a lot of cash this way.

Cheers
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      dont get so caught up in what the strategy tells u to do. like all strategies, SS strategy has its weak spots and this is one of them imho. u are obviously a good player if u are spotting these things now. its very important to know how to deal with all these niggly spots as u move up the limits. from NL50 and higher its a big advantage to use stats to help u make better decisions.

its better to make decisions on a player to player basis in spots like this. simply because if he donks u he will be successfull 66% of the time if u just fold when u dont hit. this makes it a very profitable spot for him.
      a lot of the time the donker will have top pair here, but as u find, a lot of the time, he wont. check his bet oop stat, agression factor, PFR, check raise%, steal % and steal limped pot %, these stats will help determine what hes likely to have. after the hand make a note on him!

if u dont have these stats available well now is the time to get them as they well help make your journet up through the limits successfull :)
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi Ishindar,

yhanks for your post, some useful advice there.

I have PT3 and have been using it for 3 months now (58K hands so far). I have been focusing on using it to track my progress, review hands etc and having just achieved GOLD status and accessed the articles regarding stats, I am beginning to look at my opponents stats and how interpreting them can help my decision making in various situations.

My first true use of opponents stats was tonight when I focused on the fold bb to steal and att to steal. I found it really helped me to make about 40 - 50% more steals than I would normally, (I knew this was a weak area of my game which is why I started here), and I was also able to resteal a few times in situations that I would not normally have done.

Later this month I will probably look at rearranging the HUD to make the stats I need easier to see quickly but I want to get more proficient at knowing which stats I want there first.

Any further advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers