Adjusting to Turbo SnG's

• 16 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yes, ICM is the way to go. Just be aware that the variance is huge on the super turbos and there are going to be some sick hands. If you are easily tilted - don't play them.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      ask yourself this

Am i a luckbox?

yes - play turbo's

no - don't

yeah ICM is important.. but in general luck is a huge factor in them and skill alot less.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      but in general luck is a huge factor in them and skill alot less.
      What about MTTs, dude? Are they less skill too?
    • z4tz
      z4tz
      Bronze
      Saying that the luck-factor is huge is kinda wrong.

Look at it this way, yes in isolated single tournaments there is a higher variance. But since you can cover more sngs in the same time you will get a higher volume of play and therefore decreasing your variance. It's not completely even, turbos have some higher variance in total but its not that much as it seems when you start out.

I would say its a matter of what you personally like best.

And yes, ICM is very important of course as in all sngs.
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      Btw- 3 min blinds isn't super turbo. Standard at FTP
    • Deckard33
      Deckard33
      Bronze
      I play FT singles table turbo sngs quite profitably. They tend to work well for my v tag style and avoid my leaks on the later streets.

I'm fairly tight in the first 2/3 levels although I'll limp after limpers with scs and low/mid pps.

Once the blinds are 40/80 I'll open my range as I now have FE from the earlier levels. When the blinds are 100+ I'm usually shove/fold which kind of infuriates the oppos, but I'll mix it up a bit to confuse them.

I contibet 100% of the time as oppo seems to fold around 80% in this format. Also check/raise to any weak contibet is generally +EV.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      The blinds rise so quick its push and fold very quickly. You don't need to be phil ivey to know shoving with A-K is better then 2-7 offsuit.

I dont like turbo's in general. I have played some $1 MT (45player) turbo sng's on stars and those were horrible imho. 90% donkey's and its basicaly just who is the luckiest wins since you have to push quite a few times to reach the cash.

If you like playing against those type of players then go ahead. But i'd rather play against good players.
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      The blinds rise so quick its push and fold very quickly. You don't need to be phil ivey to know shoving with A-K is better then 2-7 offsuit.

I dont like turbo's in general. I have played some $1 MT (45player) turbo sng's on stars and those were horrible imho. 90% donkey's and its basicaly just who is the luckiest wins since you have to push quite a few times to reach the cash.

If you like playing against those type of players then go ahead. But i'd rather play against good players.
      I've never heard such confused garbage, in essence you said I'd rather play V Timoshenko/Ivey/Hellmuth etc. (and I'm talking about to make money not to just go "OMG I'm playin agaisnt ...") instead of 8 fishes. 9 man turbo's can be played very successfully, and are not just push and fold; far from it. Agreed MT SnG's are a bit luck box but STT's aren't
    • Deckard33
      Deckard33
      Bronze
      I don't think there's a huge amount less skill in these sngs just that pre flop and flop skills are more important.

Yeah you do get alot of fish who shove with air but this is of course a good thing as you build your data base of player notes. Sharkscope is a huge help when someone is shoving all the time, are hey running hot or just donks? And it's easier to bluff a profitable player, until he works out you've worked that out.

BRM is important. If you're multi-tabling you can be all in on several tables at once with coin flips. You don't have to accept a flip but I always feel with any tournament game you've got to win some flips to be itm so protect you roll from the inevitable downswings.

Multi-tabling is interesting when you are up against a few of the same players on 2+ tables. Use your rep on one table to help you on the other. I guess this is the same for cash games?
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      there are a lot of skill in it trust me.
      I used to play normal sng, but because it took me too many times, now I play turbo sng.
      The most exciting part is the bubble sometime there are 9 people in the bubble.
      If you master ICM well you do not need to be lucky. The most important thing is to take note of your opponent.
      I will note every opponent I played with when I play no more than 5 tables.

I just note how do they play in the bubble. And If they shove I know what are they shoving for. I never use any kind of software to play poker (except for windows and fulltilt poker lol) , so taking note is important.
      For example a guy always limp with aa in the bubble. So one time I flop a top pair, I realize that guy limp in, so I folded and he turned out to be aa.

So if you know what do they shove with. It is no hard to beat them.

The problem I have is that sometimes I donot act according to the ICM all the times and I paid for it sometimes
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Originally posted by davidgod

The most exciting part is the bubble sometime there are 9 people in the bubble.
      Errr there is never 9 people in a bubble situation as the REAL bubble is 4 people left 3 paid, sometimes you can consider 5 people left the bubble with two very short but never 9. I dont know how you come up with that
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      you know what he means though. there can well be 9 players left when all are in push and fold stages
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      I met this twice in turbo sng
      when the blind is too big but everyone is still there with between 1000 - 2000 chips so everyone play push and fold.
      so it is 9 people bubble :D
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Originally posted by davidgod
      I met this twice in turbo sng
      when the blind is too big but everyone is still there with between 1000 - 2000 chips so everyone play push and fold.
      so it is 9 people bubble :D
      well no, it doesnt matter how big the blinds are its not the bubble
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      well no, it doesnt matter how big the blinds are its not the bubble
      Yeah you're right. There can be 9 people in a shovefest then.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Yeah and I hate those games :D