SSS preflop play

Bronze
      1) How strictly should one follow the Starting hand chart?
      e.g.
      a) I'm MP3 with QK or AJ and no one raises before me. Do I really fold? (It's just one position away from being playable according to the chart)
      b) I'm UTG2 with AQs - do I really always fold?

2) Should I try to steal blinds and how is it done when playing the SSS?
      3) Does a min-raise count as a raise? ( eg. should I fold my late position AJ or AQ to a 20cent raise on NL10?)
  • 14 replies
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      1) How strictly should one follow the Starting hand chart?
      e.g.
      a) I'm MP3 with QK or AJ and no one raises before me. Do I really fold? (It's just one position away from being playable according to the chart)
      b) I'm UTG2 with AQs - do I really always fold?

2) Should I try to steal blinds and how is it done when playing the SSS?
      3) Does a min-raise count as a raise? ( eg. should I fold my late position AJ or AQ to a 20cent raise on NL10?)

follow the chart strictly until u get experience and understand it better. the chart and strategy overall are really spot on imho. start getting experience using stats also asap! because stats > chart

u dont have to fold AJ or KQ in mp3, i raise AJ from MP but usually fold KQ.
      AQs on my level (NL100)is very profitable to play from any position. although i only call a 3bet from loser 3betters.

steal the blinds from co and bu as often as u can get away with :)

on NL10 a min raise is uaually a sign of weakness or bad player, i would use stats to confirm this. at higher limits a min raise is used more often and not a sign of weakness.
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      What is the best way to use stats?
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by prevolsek
      What is the best way to use stats?
      the first thing u learn is when to steal. u check the sb and bb fold to steal stats and if they are 80%+ it is profitable to steal from the button with pretty much any 2 cards at microstakes. u can also steal from the cut off but then u have to be carefull the button is also tight.

stats are good for identifying villan types like calling station, rock, vulture, fish etc so u can play against them more effectively.

the biggest improvement using stats for me was using pfr % to determine if i should play against a villans raise before me.

as u gain experience with stats u can read how villans play and exploit their weaknesses.
    • SuvorovNL
      SuvorovNL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindarstats are good for identifying villan types like calling station, rock, vulture, fish etc so u can play against them more effectively.
      Which types can be identified and what do they mean?

Calling station: calls every bet you make?
      Rock: ???
      Vulture: Bets when you check before him (=sign of weakness)?
      Fish: Overall stupid player?

Any others? Thanks! :)
      Bronze
      So far I've been playing strictly following the chart, which basically means I'm almost always folding. You say it's ok to raise with AJ from MP or steal blinds, but that's not what the basic strategy suggests. I don't quite know what you mean by experience, because all I'm doing is playing like a robot programmed to do all and everything like the chart says - I don't feel myself becoming more and more experienced as I continue playing like this. How do I tell I'm ready to make changes to my strategy? The way I've been doing this so far has given me mixed results and I keep stuck at NL10

By the way - by "stats" you mean the information one can access using the pokerstrategy elephant software, right?
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SuvorovNL
      Originally posted by Ishindarstats are good for identifying villan types like calling station, rock, vulture, fish etc so u can play against them more effectively.
      Which types can be identified and what do they mean?

Calling station: calls every bet you make?
      Rock: ???
      Vulture: Bets when you check before him (=sign of weakness)?
      Fish: Overall stupid player?

Any others? Thanks! :)

a rock is a very tight player
      a vulture is a lose aggressive player

get yourself some stat software it pays for itself fast :) different villans react in different ways and can be manipulated.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      So far I've been playing strictly following the chart, which basically means I'm almost always folding. You say it's ok to raise with AJ from MP or steal blinds, but that's not what the basic strategy suggests. I don't quite know what you mean by experience, because all I'm doing is playing like a robot programmed to do all and everything like the chart says - I don't feel myself becoming more and more experienced as I continue playing like this. How do I tell I'm ready to make changes to my strategy? The way I've been doing this so far has given me mixed results and I keep stuck at NL10

By the way - by "stats" you mean the information one can access using the pokerstrategy elephant software, right?
      my experience of NL10, i was slow to get out of this level because the villans are so random and unpredictable and i got sucked out a lot as they tend to stay in the hand. once i got enough to move up it was easier as at NL25 the players play more like real poker and less like random idiots.
      i recommend u try to play NL25 as soon as u can. u know u are ready when u want to do something to improve rather than just fold :)
      1st step is to learn stealing. then add bits of advanced sss a bit at a time to increase your profitability.
      i recommend u just buy holdem manager as u will want this program in the future if u think u will play a lota poker!
      Bronze
      1) Why holdem manager? (what's wrong with elephant?)
      2) For what should I use such a tool as holdem manager? How is it helpful?
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      it is not helpful in lower limits, you should focus on improving your game. plus lower limits are beatable without stats. Once you get comfortable and experienced you may start using such software if you like.
      Bronze
      Improving how? I have memorized the chart, I know how to calculate pot odds (I'm not too fast, though). What else should I know at lower limits?
    • SuvorovNL
      SuvorovNL
      Bronze
      Yeah, I would like to know that as well. People call everything with nothing or just bet 2c all the way to the river to win a whopping few cents with KK... It's difficult for me to tell if I am doing something wrong or if I should play differently against them. :D
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      read the silver and gold SSS articles but most of these things are obvious enough anyway if u have watched other players play at the tables.
      Bronze
      I couldn't even agree that it is easy to play in, say, NL10 More often than not I have this super-tight table image, because of which I usually don't get called, or even reraised. And when I do get reraised, I usually end up with JJs or QQs against KKs or AAs. Moreover, my postflop bluffs don't seem to go too well either. Is it really just a big downswing, or is there more to be learnt in NL10?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I have started with NL10 and in just over a month reach NL50. I have started by just following the chart. It is the best way. I was getting bored with only 1 table open so I opened a few more. I Was playing 6 tables but still was making a few mistakes. I have found that a good medium for me was 4 tables at the moment. it is not too boring and I have time to think about my decisions. Although the more you play the more the variance balances out. And the more experience you get the more you will know when to play AJ or KQ OOP and when not to. I think that if you have to ask then you should not play them. If in a situation you think you can play them then try it.

good luck with your play.