$2.00
      CO:
      $2.13
      BU:
      $4.02
      SB:
      $2.03

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.14, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.31) 4, 9, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, CO raises to $1.99, Hero calls $1.79.

Turn: ($4.29) 7 (2 players)

River: ($4.29) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.29.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and fours(Js Jc).
      CO shows two pairs, aces and fours(As Ad).

CO wins with two pairs, aces and fours(As Ad).
  • 4 replies
    • BRATZE2010
      BRATZE2010
      Bronze
      I might be wrong, but...

I read about playing 22-JJ as cheap as possible, so I would not raise preflop.

In addition the call on the flop is imho only possible if you have a read on the opponent...

Regards
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

JJ is a clear open raise first in, if you start limping JJ then you're not raising anything but QQ+, which really sucks for your overall game. When you get min3bet barring a read however i prefer to just call it and try to flop big.

On the flop against an unknown it's tough, but i wouldn't expect him to shove a worse hand over your donkbet so to me it's a fold. Other option would be to check/call one bet hoping he c-bets AK there and probably check/fold afterward if he continues to fire.

If you have a read that he's nuts and that you can induce a spazz shove with air by donking into him then by all means do it, but usually min3bets from unknown followed by extreme aggression postflop should clearly signify that JJ is beat.

Hope it helps.
    • BRATZE2010
      BRATZE2010
      Bronze
      Hi tamairlarace!
      I am thinking about what you wrote.

Concerning pocket pairs Phil Gordon mentions in his "Little Green Book":
      "When the blinds and antes are small in comparison to my stack size, I try to play my small pocket pairs(two to six) and middle pocket pairs (seven to jack) as cheaply as possible and against as many opponents as possible. I want to flop a set and have the best chance possible that an opponent will make a good (but second-best) hand. With these pairs I´ll either win a very big pot or lose a very small pot."

What do you think about that?
      Regards
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't think Phil Gordon had 100bb+ cash games in mind when he wrote that. It's hard to get big pots going against non retarded opponents if you start by limping preflop, as it says exactly "i have a small pocket pair and i want a set", allowing any good player to instantly recognize what you're doing if you start to put money in the pot postflop.

Especially if you do it in early position where you have a good chance to end up out of position multiway, which impairs your ability to pump up the pot size because the hand might just get checked around, be it by bad players because they don't bet enough, or be good players because they know if they get action from a limp/caller with their overpair they're likely beat. It also robs you of the chance to win the pot uncontested if everybody folds.

Start playing good aggressive poker and always think there are two ways to win a hand. You can actually make it to showdown with the best hand, or you can get everybody else to fold.

Hope it helps.