SSS = fail with AKs and AKo

• Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      Every time I play SSS at NL10 i lose money and lots of it.

I mean im playing 100% word for word to the strategy . Maybe Im just having 100% bad luck . Or did I mis read something here.

But graph says im losing $4.20 a day or -13.74 BB/100 everytime i use this strategy.

AKo and AKs is my biggest money wasting hand . If I fold that hand everytime someone reraised before me I would win money instead of lose.

Now it says ..

Exactly one player has raised before you , go all in with JJ QQ KK AA and AK

or

There was a raise behind you, you go all in with TT JJ QQ KK AA AK

Ok here is what happens when I follow this .

Play hand

Play hand

and I mean even if say I won these 2 example hands , i would only pay for the blinds from folding trash hands .

So I got to wonder how can this be profitable way to play poker ?
  • 12 replies
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Sample size?
    • gravyy
      gravyy
      Bronze
      Yes, you are right. I dont follow the strategy on here, and have not read it either.

Looking at your examples the other guy who beat you had a pair on his hand pre-flop. And if you think probability, a pair on your hand would beat AK most of the times in the long run. That is because the probability for you to see any card on the table is less than 50%. Thats' the way I'm thinking, so All in with AK should not always do the trick if someone else has a pair on their hand. If not, then you have the advantage.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I don't get your second hand. Clearly the guy had TT should win?

Why does the replayer show the AKs wins?
    • Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      I don't get your second hand. Clearly the guy had TT should win?

Why does the replayer show the AKs wins?
      Dunno thats weird /shrugs
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xponentx
      Sample size?
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grailer
      Every time I play SSS at NL10 i lose money and lots of it.
      I mean im playing 100% word for word to the strategy . Maybe Im just having 100% bad luck . Or did I mis read something here.
      But graph says im losing $4.20 a day or -13.74 BB/100 everytime i use this strategy.
      AKo and AKs is my biggest money wasting hand . If I fold that hand everytime someone reraised before me I would win money instead of lose.

Now it says ..
      Exactly one player has raised before you , go all in with JJ QQ KK AA and AK
      or
      There was a raise behind you, you go all in with TT JJ QQ KK AA AK

Ok here is what happens when I follow this .
      Play hand
      Play hand

and I mean even if say I won these 2 example hands , i would only pay for the blinds from folding trash hands .
      So I got to wonder how can this be profitable way to play poker ?
      Here are a few tips from me :
      1) What is the sample size ? Loosing 2 flips means nothing ..
      2) You have 8 players at your table, out of which 4 are shortstacks .. You should select tables with as much players as possible and the smallest number of shortsctacks as possible
      3) Loosing 2 stacks a day is nothing
      4) If you really want to play SSS, prepare for sick swings and hours and hours and days of sick grinding .. Check dandycal // caltabianos blog and then decide .. SSS is no gold mine for easy money
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      You were behind twice, and you lost twice?

Rigged obviously.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      With SSS your playing with very fine lines equity wise in a big majority of cases, this will increase varriance. Its standard swinging 10 BI up and down. I dub SSS "The S&G of cash games" because varriance is so brutal. If you carnt handle it learn BSS where varriance isnt so extreme. Its easyer to fold playing BSS and it also possible to win alot more playing BSS :D
    • Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      I guess maybe I just need to fold AK or just call the raise instead of moving all in with it since I will be behind almost 100% of the time when I make this move .

Unless they are in late position and Im on button or in blinds where the range of hands they would raise with are much loose.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      When I first switched from FL to SSS, I had a bankroll of nearly $1k.

I started played NL10, so $2 BI. First 2400 hands, I lost 18BI, $36.

Sixteen times I got all in with AK against a pair, QQ or lower. 13 times I lost. It's roughly a flip, so I was subject to evil variance. (Evil? More like soulless, unfeeling, unthinking, uncaring, unaware.....)

Next 3.5k hands, I won back 16BI.

Because I was playing well enough, and because of my BR size giving me a cushion to play through and see if this really works, I was able to be quite objective about it. Don't get me wrong, I hated it. It feels like shit to constantly lose when at least half the time you should win. But it will happen. And it won't happen only one time, baby. It will happen again and again in a never ending sequence, so long as you continue to open your eyes in the morning, and sit down at a poker table.

In the end, I played SSS up to NL200, $40BI, with 4.2BB/100, thats PTBB too.

Then I switched to BSS FR, then SH, then SNG. Eventually.

In every variant, I get cruelly beaten, over and over again. I make a profit in the long run. It is a grind.

Sometimes I win cruelly as well. This morning I played in the $250K Full House tourney on Party. Well before the money I have just an average stack, around 25BB. Some guy from early position raises half stack, 3BB. Fishy, but...then CO shoves around 8BB. I have QQ. Got them both covered, so I call, first guy calls, and they both have AA.

Do I have to say the Q fell on the flop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 800/1600 Blinds 50 Ante (10 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 (t14360)
      MP2 (t15293)
      CO (t45860)
      Button (t13480)
      UTG (t37945)
      UTG+1 (t33590)
      SB (t16930)
      MP3 (t27352)
      Hero (BB) (t30240)
      UTG+2 (t13487)

Hero's M: 10.43

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, Q
      2 folds, UTG+2 bets t6400, 4 folds, Button raises to t13430 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero raises to t30190 (All-In), UTG+2 calls t7037 (All-In)

Flop: (t58357) 8, Q, 7 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Turn: (t58357) J (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: (t58357) 5 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: t58357

Results:
      Button had A, A (one pair, Aces).
      Hero had Q, Q (three of a kind, Queens).
      UTG+2 had A, A (one pair, Aces).
      Outcome: Hero won t58357
    • terrygil1988
      terrygil1988
      Bronze
      haha thats a genious hand, id be so mad if i was either of those 2 guys
    • Dephy
      Dephy
      Bronze
      to bad it will only happen 1 in 5hands.