justkyle88
      Bronze
      $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com
      megabass1979: 54/17 93
      3bet: 9
      4bet: 0
      Never 100% sure whenever how loose I should stack off against these guys. especially being this deep.
      I think 4-betting in these spots are fine but do I just muck it when I'm up against a 5-bet/shove?

Stacks:
      UTG pieman987 ($11.55)
      UTG+1 Sylvestr_12 ($9.85)
      CO emochanshen ($17.55)
      BTN Hero ($16)
      SB megabass1979 ($12.25)
      BB JackobFish ($10.60)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is BTN Q:diamond: Q:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, megabass1979 raises to $1.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $3.75, megabass1979 raises to $8.20, $4.45 to Hero ($12.25)?
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's a simple math problem check your equity against the 17:8 or so pot odds you'll be getting on a shove. Even 120bb deep it'll come down to whether you think this guy can have a hand that isn't QQ+ EVER. If yes you're already priced in to call it off. If however you think he always has QQ+ when he makes that 5bet you can likely find a fold.

However if you don't think that this guy can 5bet or call a 4bet with worse than QQ to begin with, you're probably better off calling the 3bet in position to keep his worse hands in and try to get value out of him bluffing postflop, it's better than turning it into a 4bet bluff.

Hope it helps.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      equity
      Hand 0: 69.219% { QcQd }
      Hand 1: 30.781% { 66+, A5s+, K9s+, Q9s+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+ }

equity
      Hand 0: 63.562% { QcQd }
      Hand 1: 36.438% { 88+, ATs+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+ }

I wasn't worried in 4-betting ofc but like you said, it becomes a problem when he 5-bets.
      I can see the + side of calling the 3-bet IP. Thanks.
      What about if we are OOP? Play check/call on flop/turn/river unless we hit the nuts ofc.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Out of position is a sticky problem. At microstakes i think calling planning to c/c c/f is fine, however as you move up you'll find that it's harder and harder to see a showdown because players are more and more skilled at forcing you out by barreling, resulting in you creating a lot of passive dead money.

Fortunately it often comes with people having wider 3betting/4betting(sometimes 5betting) ranges altogether, which means you can usually exploit that and play QQ profitably by either:

- still calling out of position planning to check/raise good boards for value, getting money from the likely c-bet your opponent will throw at you and trying to end the pot before they have a chance to put you to a guessing game on an overcard turn. Of course if you know your opponent has way more bluffs than made hands and will fire at any turn, by all means check/call the flop and check/shove any turn.

- 4betting and calling it off preflop, counting on the dead money you pickup every time your opponent 3bets light and has to fold to a 4bet, your image that might induce him to 5bet lighter for value, your history of your 4bet bluffing him, and so on.

Hope it helps.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace

- 4betting and calling it off preflop, counting on the dead money you pickup every time your opponent 3bets light and has to fold to a 4bet, your image that might induce him to 5bet lighter for value, your history of your 4bet bluffing him, and so on.
      Would you recommend noting who 4-bet bluffs you each time? or is stats enough for this?
      Cause I think 4-beting would only be opponent dependent.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

4bet stat converges very slowly and is really hard to interpret so unless you can display something like 4bet and folded to 5bet stat it's not that useful. I'm definitely making a note every time i catch somebody 4-bet bluffing and usually assume they don't below nl100 until i see them do it.

Try and make an ev calc by including the frequency with which your opponent 4bet/folds and you'll see you can quickly justify felting a much wider range over his 4bets.

Hope it helps.