Poker on Ubuntu // Linux with VirtualBox

• jackleo
      jackleo
      Bronze
      Following configuration will be showed for windows xp in virtual machine.

Most of poker software will work with virtual box :) all you need is just get to Ubuntu Software Center and enter VirtualBox, then install VirtualBox OSE.

WARNING! you should have atleast 1 Gb of RAM, and atleast 10 Gb of free HDD space :)

After installing VB launch it press NEW and follow the instructions :) i recommend to give atleast 10 Gb of free HDD space and atleast 512 Mb of RAM, 64 Mb of video memory. Use dynamically expanding storage mode.

After finishing press SETTINGS > CD/DVD-ROM and there mark to mount CD/DVD drive. OK.

After it, insert windows cd, and press START in VB (may need to highlight virtual machine). After launch press F12 and C to boot from CD drive :) then follow the install as usual in any desktop machine. Don't worry about format or other functions, use as it would be separate computer.

After windows is completely launched you may need press CTR+ALT+DEL to let go your mouse pointer, you'll understand what i mean.

Go to Devices (while running windows), and press install guest additions.

It will download ~300Mb iso file, mount it and launch it, follow installation process. Restart virtual machine.

Now you can easily leave window, resize it in any size you like.

On the bottom right corner press file icon, add folders you need to share. In virtual machine press supper+e (win+e), on the left expand my network places, and expand entire network, there expand VirtualBox Shared Folders and you'll find your files :)

Now install poker software as usual and just play it :)

Internet should work by default, if not use google there all needed answers :)
  • 6 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I'll try with a Debian and vmware. I'll let you see if it works.
    • jackleo
      jackleo
      Bronze
      i know that it work on Open Solaris
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      I wanted to thank u as first person so

TY :)
    • jackleo
      jackleo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fakedurrr
      I wanted to thank u as first person so

TY :)
      Np, just happy to help :)
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      This is a really good guide for setting up something I knew nothing about ! I've been getting along with WINE, I wasn't even aware of an alternative.

Thankyou so much for this, now I can have my HEM back !
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      useful information, thanks a lot!

is there any problem isntalling the original windows in another pc?

my father bought vista or iginal and would like to know if i can use this windows for the vb.

thanks again!

i had the virtualbox, then unistalled and installed the ose. when i tryed to run, this error appeared:

Could not load the settings file '/home/usuario/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml'.
      Cannot convert settings from version '1.9-linux'.
      The source version is not supported.

Código de Resultado:
      NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
      Componente:
      VirtualBox
      Interface:
      IVirtualBox {557a07bc-e6ae-4520-a361-4a8493199137}