BSS Question

• Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
      Hello.
      I just received my starting capital and have been following the strategy religiously - so far in half a day of .01/.02 I have turned the $50 into $65 so not a bad start.
      But my question regards an interesting situation I found myself in where I am not sure whether I made the right move or not.
      I was in middle position 3 limpers in front of me I look down at A-Q suited.
      I glanced at my starting hand list and it suggested to make the fold, so I did.
      Flop came A-9-Q rainbow and the guy on the button bet the flop very aggressively.
      I feel I missed out on a decent pot here, is there something missing in the chart like when your facing multiple limpers?
      Many thanks
  • 9 replies
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to Pokerstrategy :)

As a beginner you should keep folding there, because it is easy to get into trouble on the flop against a hand which dominates you and you will usually end up either winning a small pot or losing a big one. When you get some solid postflop skills you can start playing hands like this.
    • Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. Very happy to be here:)

The thing is I actually back my post-flop skills(especially at this level), like knowing when i'm ahead/behind and putting my opponent on a correct range. Pre-flop play is most definately my weakness. I have a fair bit of MTT experience but have only started giving cash games a serious go since visiting this site. It already feels as if i've learnt so much in such a short time and look forward to some heavy continuous grinding :]
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      The SHC is just a basic guide. Stick to it while you are learning, and once you get the hang of the strategy, you can move away from it (there's actually a more advanced (looser) SHC in the Silver section).

While your preflop skills are not that great, it's better to stick to something solid. The SHC will, on average, provide you with the most +EV situations for play, barring any further information like stats/reads on your opponents.
    • Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply.
      Just got another little situation I didn't know what to do in...

UTG raises 4x BB. UTG+2 flat calls.
      I'm in middle position with A-Ks. Do i re-raise or flat call?
      My reads are that these guys are calling stations and will call anything which would spell trouble if I re-raise, get called and miss the flop.
    • Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
      And one more..

I am UTG and have QQ. I make it 4xBB. Folded around to middle position who re-raises 4.5x my original raise. Where do I go from here?
      Thanks again
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
    • Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
    • Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
      But serious lol. I'm playing these games for several hours a day now koz i'm so sick off MTT's so i'm pretty keen to know the best thing to do in these seemingly marginal situations :f_cool:
    • Bryce87
      Bryce87
      Bronze
      I found out the expensive way to re-raise when the pot has already been raised with a caller(s) when i'm sitting on A-K. Flat-calling lost me pots to crap hands so I know now a fair sized re-raise is in order