SSS discipline

• HerbGuy
      HerbGuy
      Bronze
      I played my first SSS based on the PokerStrategy.com starting hand charts and I have to say it was very tough folding AJs, KJs, AQ(EP), A10, 66, etc.

Does it get easier :)
  • 7 replies
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      yeah it gets easier, but its always tempting to play hands not on the charts. Just remember that with those hands there is greater than a 50% chance of someone behind you holding a better hand, thats why you dont play them.
    • HerbGuy
      HerbGuy
      Bronze
      The other thing I found was that the first few times I raised I just won the pot without a flop. Then later when I would raise with say AJ, 77 or something like that folks would re-raise (assuming I was just stealing all the time), then I would need to fold since they didn't fit the raise chart. It was frustrating just losing that money all the time uncontested
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      SSS is a game of long term averages. When they reraise you sometimes you will have AJ or 77 - but sometimes you will have AA or KK too. And when your opponents find themselves hitting your monster hands, you will win more money than all the small losses you make by folding weaker hands.
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      SSS is a game of long term averages. When they reraise you sometimes you will have AJ or 77 - but sometimes you will have AA or KK too. And when your opponents find themselves hitting your monster hands, you will win more money than all the small losses you make by folding weaker hands.
      Thats the idea, sometimes it doesnt consistently go that way for u X(
    • HerbGuy
      HerbGuy
      Bronze
      Sure, I can see your point. So if I feel these guys are always going to re-raise behind me should I just adjust my strategy and just assume they will re-raise. So in these situations I could just play the chart like it is a re-raise situation and not play with 77-99 or AJ, AQ?

Or should I just stick to the chart as it's laid out even though it's very likely they will raise me?
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      If you are still under 20k hands then you should be playing the basics...fold to the re-raises behind you unless you have what the chart state you can go all in with.

One major thing many new SSS players do which is a major leak, is to want to do more than what the SHC tells them to. They do not want to have thier blinds eaten, thier 77/AJ re-raised, folding thier hands to MP raisers, etc....
      Most think SSS is just an easy strategy make a decent small profit at poker. Which is true if you use basic SSS at the micro limits and advanced SSS at the low limits, IF....you add alot of other skills than just playing a small number of hands PreFlop.

Stick to the basics till you have enough stats /notes on a particular player that you know is tactics/range can be beaten by the lower end of the SHC. Also when you read the advanced SSS articles, do not go out and apply them right away. Start applying them on people you have stats/notes on so that you can have that slight edge...which is what SSS is about.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HerbGuy
      Sure, I can see your point. So if I feel these guys are always going to re-raise behind me should I just adjust my strategy and just assume they will re-raise. So in these situations I could just play the chart like it is a re-raise situation and not play with 77-99 or AJ, AQ?

Or should I just stick to the chart as it's laid out even though it's very likely they will raise me?
      You should stick exactly to the chart as it is laid out, dont deviate from it at all. Keep raising these hands so that when you do have a monster, your opponents have no idea what they are running into. When you fold to their reraises they are more likely to keep reraising you expecting you to fold, and when you get KK or AA you are likely to double up.