BSS Question

• Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have mainly been playing NL20 SSS on 888, so far (50K+ hands) but I have recently started playing NL10 BSS due to lack of NL20 tables.

I have been wondering when should I top-up? Should I wait until I am below $9 or $8 or even $7.50? Or shlould I just keep topping up to $10? (that would be a pain to do with no auto feature).

I have decided to leave the table if I get over $25 as that starts to push my comfort zone for now so seems to be the right time to go.

Cheers for your imput.
  • 10 replies
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      It would be the best if you could play always with the maximum stack. This way you can win the most if you're going to play for stacks.
      If the site doesn't have an auto rebuy feature like 888.com there is no sin in playing with few big blinds lower than max. Nevertheless, you should rebuy as frequently as possible.
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      I agree with the previous poster as usually having a couple big blinds less doesnt really give you any other advantage than losing some profit when things get rough.(or losing some money if you happen to dronk off)

So yeah, just keep on re-buying. But remember that there lies some danger in that. It's fairly easy to leak a lot of money and just keep on refilling, and refilling and refilling.
    • SuvorovNL
      SuvorovNL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VheroM
      So yeah, just keep on re-buying. But remember that there lies some danger in that. It's fairly easy to leak a lot of money and just keep on refilling, and refilling and refilling.
      +1

You never see yourself short stacked and thus tend to "forget" sometimes that that 1 BI profit after a nice all-in is actually a -2BI loss due to rebuys... I always check my BR now and then while playing to make sure I keep aware of the bigger picture for that session. But yes, I always rebuy when I drop a few BBs below BI.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      BSS is all about maximizing value, therefor making sure you kepe you stack toped up helps. The people who say its easy to forget how much you've toped up...Why does that matter? You shouldnt be keeping track of profit/loss during a session. If your more concerned by the $$$ you have or can lose in comparison to the money you can win then BSS is not for you.
    • SuvorovNL
      SuvorovNL
      Bronze
      It's not about worrying what you lose. It's about recognizing when it's not your day.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Cheers for the feedback folks.

I can see the danger in constantly "topping up" just a few bb here and there on 6+ tables. I expect I will let it drift to $9.50 and then top up although going by last night I only had to top up one table as within the first orbit I tended to be above the max BI (loads of fish at the market, and steals and resteals working well lol).

I was still using SSS on 2 tables at NL30 just to get used to the limit and had to leave 1 table after the first orbit as I had gone from the min $6 up to $18 lol.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SuvorovNL
      It's not about worrying what you lose. It's about recognizing when it's not your day.
      i agree. this is one of the reasons i lose so much of my br. knowing when to quit is important. if you dont it will lead to more tilting sessions in the future
    • immot
      immot
      Bronze
      I would strongly reccomend tou use auto rebuy to max, because when you see tables where you have $9.90 or $9.50 you mind says that you are loosing there and you might change your play. Having always $10 on table makes you more neutral to money loss and thus prevents tilt/bad play etc.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SuvorovNL
      Yes and how much money you lose doesnt matter, if you reconise your playing bad, you stop...Your subconcious will let you know when its time to quite "I'm running so dry", "FFS i hate having to fold this on the river", "Can i just please win a big pot" are all sighns its time to stop. Why stop though if your lossing and playing well/very focused?
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      @ immot - I am playing on 888 and there is no "Auto rebuy to max" feature. The only auto rebuy happens when you are empty!

Having $9.50 on a table does not tell me "I am losing" - it tells me "I haven't yet made the opportunity to win" - yes I have recently read the article on reframing, and as a qualified NLP practitioner, reframing is something I use daily lol

@ PocketAcesJohn - yes all of these statements (and many more just like them) are signs that it is at least time to take a break - which is what I am doing now lol