[NL2-NL10] NL5 AKo

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Villain stats is 14/10/2, over I think about 100 hands.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $1.00
      UTG2:
      $6.07
      MP1:
      $1.95
      MP2:
      $3.48
      MP3:
      $4.70
      CO:
      $2.85
      BU(Hero):
      $5.00
      SB:
      $2.55

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.63.

Flop: ($1.67) 7, 9, J (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

I would have cont-bet about $1.2 if the J had not been there. I was worried he might have had JJ so I just checked behind this time. Right move or not?

Turn: ($1.67) 3 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn check? Or bet?

River: ($1.67) A (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

I still had a feeling JJ is likely so I didn't want to get involved too deep and just flat called. I thought he probably had AK as well, but I was wrong.

Final Pot: $3.67.

Thanks a lot
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Not quite sure why you 3bet so huge in position to begin with, it makes for weird stack sizes postflop on top of everything else against that 70bb guy so i really don't see a point in doing so, especially if you don't intend on c-betting most flop. By that i mean, if you think he's calling your 3-bet way too often with hands like pocket pairs or broadways, then you should pretty much c-bet any flop just to capitalize on all those hands that can't call even on such a seemingly bad flop. Anyway, standard $0.5-ish is fine for me.

On the flop as a default i don't mind check back, we still have some equity so getting check/raised wouldn't really suit us too much, especially on a board that usually hits a standard 3bet calling range.

Turn is hard to say, against some players when they don't bet they don't have a better hand that can call a bet almost ever, so i wouldn't mind making a delayed c-bet to get like small pocket pairs and whiffed overs out of that pot, possibly take him out of a split since it's not impossible for a 14/10 to flat AK preflop.

On the river it's really hard to give him anything we don't beat. A set would lead the turn most likely, so would two pairs and Jx. He'd have to either really sucks at playing better hands or have peeled preflop really light with something A9. So in theory we can probably put in a raise there, with AQ possibly calling it, AK possibly folding to it. In practice, i don't think that guy is folding AK, and he might not call with AQ, so it's really thin value to balance out with the times he just played a big hand very tricky/passive. It's your call from there :)

Hope it helps.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps I'm raising preflop too big, but I almost always raise it 4 times the original raise.

Normally the original raise is $0.2, so I raise to $0.8, I figured that 0.17 is close enough.

I also didn't think he would fold AK, so I thought I'll just call and save some rake.

I thought that if I raise, AQ would fold and I win the same as if I call, only better hands would re-raise me all in.

In the end he showed JJ. I was more expecting AK but wasn't totally surprised at JJ. I was happy and I'm sure he was disappointed as I didn't pay him off that much. :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just stick to 3x his raise in position and 3.5x-4x out of position, add a x for cold-callers in-between and you'll do fine.

Hope it helps.