This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Struggle at $2/4SH, hints for development???

• funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Hi!

In december I switched to $2/4SH at FT and later played $2/4FR and $3/6FR.

I did not like my results on $2/4SH after 20k hands... -$938 or -1.2BB/100.

As well $3/6FR (12k hands, -$971 or -1.31BB/100
      -> lot of bad luck here... bellow 10 AA and KK each, as well hit sets on flop only 1:14)

And in total on 44k hands -0.67BB/100...

Fortunately these these losses were covered by rakeback and some other winnings, but overally I do not like spending 100 hours for nothing :s_frown: .

My question is: Is there so significant difference between $1/2SH and $2/4SH??

I am able beat $1/2SH at about 3.5-4BB/100 (net, rake excluded), so that means approximatelly 1-1.5BB/100 on FT/Stars, or close to 0BB/100 on sites like Party (where rake is close to 4BB/100 now :s_evil: , $0.05 per $1 in POT).

I still have feeling that I do not handle swing very well when it comes to $2/4 and where I can overcome $200 on $1/2 quite OK, $400+ on $2/4 or $3/6 makes me quite nervous...

Any hits for further development? (at the moment going through videos on Stoxpoker...)

I decided to switch back to $1/2 and play $2/4 only at bodog (60% rakeback), where games tends to be very soft... but runs very seldom, as well chashed out $400, so my BR is $2k6 now.

Regards

Funktor
  • 12 replies
    • DukeFreedom
      DukeFreedom
      Black
      Originally posted by funktor
      My question is is there so significant difference between $1/2SH and $2/4SH??
      IMO yes, definately. And it's insane.

100k $2/4 result -1.7 BB/100
      100k $1/2 result +1.5 BB/100

on Party.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by funktor
      My question is is there so significant difference between $1/2SH and $2/4SH??
      I'd be surprised if there was at FTP to a significant degree - only from observing looseness of the tables there, not from personal experience as yet.

Is it a table/seat selection issue? And obviously still a small sample size to draw any real conclusions as yet.

As for further development, I guess it is the same sort of stuff - focusing on hand analysis and making sure you have a strategy for reviewing theory. Try to get in touch with other winning players at your limit or higher for hand/theory discussion. Never stop working on your game from the basics up to reduce the possiblity of leaks developing / detect previously undetected leaks. Never give up.

My two cents anywhom.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Unfortunatly I cannot comment on the difficulty level of $2/4 but from my experience psycological aspects are as important as the increased skill level when moving up limits. I experieced it in my first few K hands at $1/2. With very little stats on opponents or reads on them I just asumed that they were all better players than me and I was going to have to squeeze big bets of them.

In reality, when stats and reads started to formulate I figured many werent any better than me, but due to my midset I had possibly playing worse which had contributed to my losses, as well as a slight bad run.

Best of luck cracking 2/4!

PS. how do yuo get the sick rakeback? I want in!!!!
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      Hi Funktor

For me the switch from 1/2 to 2/4 was (and still is) the hardest moveup ever.
      I'm so happy that it has lower rake. That and rakeback basically prevent me from moving down. I still add one or 2 tables of 1/2 occasionally because there are just SO MUCH MORE fish there.

I don't have much advice to give other than that you just have to take your game to the next level.

I have seen that on other forums ppl have beat 2/4 and 3/6 over large sample sizes for 2 BB/100 and more. For example this one:
      http://www.pokertableratings.com/stars-player-search/unguarded

Seeing that this is possible, it makes me want to improve my game really hard. 2 BB/100 winners also have a lot less problems with the psychological part of poker cause the downswings they experience are a lot easier to cope with.

So my goal is to strive for higher winrate and the rest will follow. But I figure you already knew that...

Anyway I'm on stoxpoker as well and imo this is a VERY useful addition for players like us.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Also, does playing at party poker decrease your winrate so dramatically? Im playing there on .50/1 been trying to move to 1/2 and was thinking about moving anyway, does it really eat up so many BB?
    • DukeFreedom
      DukeFreedom
      Black
      Rake on Party at $1/2 is extreme indeed, but you get a lot back if you go for the 30% rakeback bonus and it's certainly beatable.
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      I do not know how much is rakeback now on party with new system. But in past it was true, that $0.5/1 was way tougher than $1/2 as it was possible get like 60% rakeback if someone went for $3k bonus.

But if you think about game with same skilled oponents your edge is same... the only diference is rake paid.

And if you pay one time 2BB/100 and other time 4BB/100 this makes difference 2BB/100 hands in winrate. This makes easy equation... (gross winrate - rake + rakeback ) per 100 hands with additional consideration how often are you paid that rakeback/bonus/promotions.

Funktor

P.S.: That sick rakeback was on Party... combination of Gladiator + bought bonuses + some bonus I was issued by party because I did not showed up for some time :D .
      P.P.S.: But anyway I rather prefere have bigger edge in net winrate (gross winrate - rake) and have less in bonuses. You will overcome swings much easier and with lower bankroll.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      okay, i realise we are going slightly of topic but as the discussion has start, what sort of % rakeback do you get when the 100% 600$ FDB at stars or FTP (i dont think you recieve rakeback (27%) when clearign this bonus) but what would this equate to?
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      RB with FDP on FTP is around 40%, slightly more. With regular succeeding the Ironman requirements you get around 30% RB all together (when you clear FDB.)
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      You get 27% anyway so being iron man adds just 3%?
      I think it's a lot more if you take into account the mid-year and end-year bonus.
      It depends on your limit of course cause these bonusses are a fixed amount.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      It's not my calculation... it was some FTP player here that calculated that, but I forgot who, maybe he'll check in. :)

Waiboy seemed like calculation-happy guy judging by his Titan/Mansion posts... maybe he'll do it for us? :D
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berkstajger
      It's not my calculation... it was some FTP player here that calculated that, but I forgot who, maybe he'll check in. :)

Waiboy seemed like calculation-happy guy judging by his Titan/Mansion posts... maybe he'll do it for us? :D
      Whoa... steady on there cowboy.. :f_eek:

You're thinking of the legend of CoreySteel. I'm just a happy poster with no meaningful information in any of my posts.. long may it continue! :f_confused: :f_cool: