Thinking about quiting poker

• Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Hey friends.
      In last 2 days I almost lost half of my chipstack,and run into very very bad coctail of bad beats, bad decisions and into some strange state, where I start to believe that something in universe is agianst me- TILT.
      I play 2.25$ SNGs and usually ITM 1/4 of times, but within this 2 days I played more than 30 sngs and lost every HU I was into, I bust out of buble zillion times,mostly couse of my bad decisions and impatience-want to push guy with lowest chipstack out as soon as possilbe.
      I have some need to play more and more in hope to cut my losses, but I figured out that the best way to cut them is to move away from computer.

I simply dont know how to regain my confidence back, so I am at the point where I am thinking to take what is left to me and leave poker world, and start doing Internet marketing thing.
      Maybe I am not the right kind of person for this game.

What do you think about this guys?

Cheers
  • 4 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Well it depends. You could try playing lower variance games like DON's or cash games. But you still have to be confortable with the idea of losing money on the short frame.

The idea is to remember this is a GAME so you basically want to have fun. And the advice i always give is play a lot (but stop when you feel you're tilting) and analyse your results at the end of the month!

I was somewhere in the same bucket when losing in 3 days around 30%-40% of my bankroll (if i were to take a part time job as a student around here, this percentage would mean my salary for 2-3 months). But eventually everything goes around.
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Hey,

I'm sorry for your results but that happens to everyone. How long have you been playing poker? That will happen to you a lot, you can be sure of that. It may start with a couple of bad beats or of some bad decisions and quickly escalates to tilt. And after that it's downhill.

I know it's very frustrating losing 10-20 buy-ins. Or even 50% of your bankroll. But IF you really like the game and think you can improve and maybe some day turn a profit then don't give up right away.

The only advice that I can give you (and that I honestly can't seem to follow...) is to stop playing for that day or a couple of days. And in that time get a bit away from poker stuff. Then after a couple of days get back to poker starting with some articles and videos and then try opening up one or two tables IF you feel confortable with it.

This is the second best way you can get through this. The first is to really talk to someone that's already gone through the same problems. And if you don't have a real life friend to talk about this then turn to this community like you did. Post more questions, ask for more advice, post graphs, hands, create a blog, etc.

Don't worry too much. And good luck.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yes, patience is tested. Poker is a grind mostly.

Just a note on your post regarding bubble play. Pushing the short stack out isn't the best way to attack a bubble. He is the guy with least to lose, and will call more loosely and more desperately. Leave him alone unless you have big hands.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      A good way to prevent tilting your roll away is what I like to call your pain threshold.

Say you pain threshold is 10 buyins, it hurts to lose 10 but you can deal with it.
      Thats when you stop playing.

This is because as the loses turn from 10 to 12 to 15 you become numb to the pain, losing another 10 wont make you feel any worse but it sure will kill your roll in no time.

This helps to prevent tilting and it realy works for me.

Hope this helps