Noob questions

• Teyiebuns
      Teyiebuns
      Bronze
      Hello :-)

My questions (if you be so kind x) are:

What is a "Hud"

Is it that thing that shows number next to people on your poker client, and if so, is it definitely legit? Is this allowed by the Poker clients. I currently have 'Poker Tracker (only 50 day trial :-( ) but no other software.

Should I be using anything other than Pokerstars and Pokertracker (to track my own losses :-P Not to track players, I'm not that advanced yet).

Thanks
      Teya x
  • 1 reply
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Teya & welcome to the community,

Hud stands for "Heads Up Display" and yes it basically overlays stats next to your opponent names.

Software such as PokerStrategy's Elephant, Poker Tracker & Holdem Manager are legal to use with most poker platforms (not cake from memory) and you should not encounter any problems on PokerStars.

To cut a long story short.... Your Poker Tracker keeps a track of your own playing history and shows opponent stats for only the hands you played against them. This is perfectly acceptable.

What PokerStars and the most other platforms do not allow is any software that tracks hands you were not directly involved in ("datamining"), calculation type software that actually suggests how you should play a hand or certain websites that tell you the complete previous playing history of an opponent.

A full list of approved and banned software appears on the PokerStars website, but as long as you stick to PokerTracker/Holdem Manger/Elephant, you should be fine.

In terms of other things to record, obviously keeping a track on what games you are playing and how much you win/lose would be handy to review over time.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Bart