[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH 9To Top 2

• justkyle88
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

BB: 13/12 68
      Not sure if my raise on flop is big enough.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, 9.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) 9, 3, T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $1.75, Hero raises to $4.10, BB calls $2.35.

Turn: ($9.05) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6.05, BB calls $6.05.

River: ($21.15) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.15.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, tens and nines(Th 9s).
      BB shows a straight, queen high(Jh Qc).

BB wins with a straight, queen high(Jh Qc).
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

I kinda like it actually, since we're pretty much never folding no matter what. We can't give bad implieds to an OESD unless we effectively jam the flop, in which case they'll fold. overpairs/sets will 4bet the flop most of the time. I'm pretty sure a 13/12 is barely ever raising a top pair in that spot.

A smaller raise gives stuff like KQ a chance to make a bad peel and find itself committed on K/Q turns, and we also give 87s/QJ the chance the see a turn that makes them a pair+draw hand instead of a better hand than us, with which they might find themselves committed to calling a turn shove from us. I'd probably make it a little bigger just to ensure i can give hands like KQ/87/QJ 3:1 odds on a call when they hit a combodraw/top pair on the turn. Maybe $4.6?

As played very bad turn obviously since when he just calls the flop we're pretty much up against QJ that now beats us, KQ that won't call the shove, and 87s that is rare to begin with and might not even call it off. Maybe sometimes we get an aggressively played top pair, or a weakly played overpair. It's probably still better to shove and get it over with in hero's shoes because we can't fold and the only worse hand that might possibly improve on the river without beating us is now KQ, so there isn't much of a point in seeing another card.

Hope it helps.
    • justkyle88
      Thanks. really liked this one. :)
      We decided on a $4.60-$4.80 flop raise.