[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH KK river pairing and opponent still interested.

• justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $9.50
      BU:
      $3.20
      SB(Hero):
      $10.00
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $15.50
      MP3:
      $10.00

UTG: 20/20 10
      River: Am I stacking off?

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K.
      MP2 raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.90, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.9) J, 9, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.35, MP2 calls $1.35.

Turn: ($4.6) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, MP2 calls $3.00.

River: ($10.6) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $4.80, Hero calls $4.75.

Final Pot: $20.15.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and jacks(Kc Ks).
      MP2 shows three of a kind, jacks(As Js).

MP2 wins with three of a kind, jacks(As Js).
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

River card sucks obviously. It's hard to check/fold getting 3:1 but what can he really bet there that we beat? Even QQ wouldn't mess with the top card pairing river too much. Since i don't see him betting anything we beat but there might still be stuff we beat that he can hero call the river with (QQ, for suspicious cally tags stuff like TT figuring we're just bluffing or something) i'd prefer just shoving myself then check/calling. If you really think he's tight and can find it in you to check/fold go ahead. Still hate all 3 options overall tho.

Hope it helps.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      What about the fact of inducing bluffs on the river? Because IMO the only hand calling us is the J or QQ like u said.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

People need made hands to make value plays, they also need air hands to make bluffs. Sometimes they can turn marginal made hands into bluffs, but i wouldn't count on it at nl10. What hands do you think that guy called a preflop 3bet, a flop bet, yet another turn bet, and now feels the need to bluff that river with?

He'd need to either call all the way with a draw like T8s/87s/QT instead of put in a flop raise, which is highly questionable for a tag when you show strength like that, or decide to turn a made hand that he thought was good when he called the turn into a bluff on the river, which is a tough logic leap for a nl10 tag. Some people might do it but being able to recognize that your hand looks like Jx and that this river gives you the opportunity to take your opponent off something better than your 9x is no easy task, coupled with the fact that really nobody expects hero to check/fold his overpair getting 3:1 at nl10.

It's possible, but overall i'm not even sure you can put more combos of bluffs in his range than the 6 combos of QQ, so as usual at small stakes, i'd err on the side of valuebetting myself.

Hope it helps.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Points taken. Thanks :)