[NL2-NL10] Flopped set on mono board

• Fagin

I played this hand last night and as I am relatively new to BSS I am hoping for a second opinion.

Cassava Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 460029
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $12.31
      UTG+1: $14.17
      UTG+2: $9.31
      MP1: $1.55
      MP2: $23.59
      CO: $2.03
      Hero (BTN): $13.05
      SB: $12.46
      BB: $4.14

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with 8 :club: 8 :spade:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB raises to $1.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.75

I was going to call and setmine but as everybody folded I thought I would use the 88 for a steal. The Sb re-raise was awalkward to read as I only have 46 hands on him. I decided to just call and re-evaluate on the flop. I didn't want to raise and commit too much with a weak pair pre flop yet I felt the 88 was potentially too strong to lay down pre flop.

Flop: ($2.40) 8 :diamond: 3 :diamond: 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.35, Hero raises to $3.40, SB folds

Loved the top set but hated the 3 :diamond: s. Read him for a standard c-bet and decided the raise would let me know if he was serious about his hand and if he had a :diamond:

Final Pot: $5.10
      Hero mucks 8 :club: 8 :spade:
      Hero wins $2.80
      (Rake: $2.30)

Any thoughts would be appreciated ie:
      was the bet too strong?
      Was it perhaps too weak and could have been called?
      Should I perhaps have called despite the dangerous board as I probably have 7 clean outs to the nuts

• 4 replies
    • LukasGunther
      I have a feeling he had AK that didn't hit. How come the rake on that pot was so much?
    • MaestroOfZerg

4betting preflop is way overplayed 125bb deep without history so calling in position is the way.

On the flop we really can't risk a 4th diamond coming in. Both because it could kill our hand, and because it will certainly kill our action against worse hands. Raising the flop is the standard play, we're hoping he has something like a big pair he can't lay down or a big diamond and shoves over our raise, if he has anything else (except the occasional lower set if he's 3betting small pairs) he's not putting any more money in there unless he's crazy aggro anyway.

I'd probably make it a tad bigger just to make sure he gets a push or fold decision with a big diamond. It also helps against some players that will call there with stuff like AA no diamond planning to stack off on a blank turn, by raising the flop bigger we give them better odds to call it off on the turn. Around $4 sounds fine.

Hope it helps.
    • Fagin
      Thanks for the feedback, I probably should have bet more to put him off but I seem to remember being unsure wether I wanted a call or not.

He said in chat that he had J :spade: J :club: but no way to know how true that was.

@ LukasGunther - I just replayed the hand in PT3 and it shows the rake as .25c - an error in the HH converter prhaps??

Not sure what I would have done if he raised or even flat called and shoved the turn but I think I would have been prepared to go broke with the set.
    • wquinn636
      Presuming he flat-calls, the ugly card comes down on the turn and he shoves you're looking at calling around $7.80 into a $16.40 pot. 2/1 odds. With 10 clean outs to the full house you're only a 23% shot, so it's up to you to decide whether you think the chance your opponent's pulling a Clerkmeister bluff is enough to make up the difference.

I don't think he's flat-calling out of position on that board without a diamond so I'd probably lay it down. Well, I'd call, but laying it down might just about be the better option. Absolutely filthy situation.