Progressing through the limits

• thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Hi

I am Fab originally French but living in the UK for a few years.

I have been playing poker for a few month but never paid attention at playing properly. I used to play on PKR where a player recommended me to PS. passed the quizz and registered my starting capital with FTP.

I tried a few different avenues SNG, MTT, BSS and lost about 1/2 of the starting capital. I then got interested in SSS. I gave it a try and at first although I found it a bit boring, I kept in the +ve with rakeback and marginal wins. After a couple of weeks I stated multitabling.

I then took my capital off PKR and deposited it to FTP.

I did set myself a few goals for december.

• Get silver status on PS
      • Get Bronze Iron Man level for december
      • try to make $100

BTW I had $150 including total on the 22nd of december and only had enough day left to get bronze if I played every day and got 50 ftp.

I started on the 22nd to play NL25 SSS.

I got silver status a couple of days later and managed to get the bronze Iron man level.

more importantly I also managed to make the $100.

For january I decided to up the game a little ( not too much though)

• Get gold status on PS
      • Get Iron Man level for january
      • try to make $300

well I decided to stat my blog cos' I got my PS gold level tonight Hurray!!! 5 days in january :)

on january 3 I reached $300 on ftp account and decided to go up to NL50.

in 2 days I have made over $100 so I am well on track so far. I have read TheLastNail's challenge for december and how he made $20000 and it really motivated me.

I will try to give regular update of my progress in limits. One thing that worries me though, if FTP is to prevent sss strategy on their servers by upping the minimum buying I will have to start another strategy when I am well enjoying it at the moment.
  • 28 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      A quick update :)

The variance has been a bitch this week form $400 I went down to $300 then back up to $400 this morning. I have decided to cash out $100 every $200 dollar made (the wife wants to see some income to justify me playing :D )

I have taken out $100 this morning and the wife is happy :) . Next one when I reach $500 (the goal for this week)

I have mixed the tables NL25 and NL50 for lack of tables available on NL50 this week as well. And I have decided to give a go to some $5 SNG and $2 or $3 dollar MTT as well. I did my first one last night and finished 14th out of 1527 and cashed $18. I was more happy about the position than the cash out but it is better than nothing :)

I also had the best hand ever :)

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.2 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds 50 Ante (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 (t29170)
      MP1 (t11264)
      MP2 (t45247)
      CO (t13485)
      Button (t6665)
      SB (t5155)
      BB (t1155)
      Hero (UTG) (t28370)

Hero's M: 28.37

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, A
      Hero bets t1800, 6 folds, BB calls t705 (All-In)

Flop: (t2810) 7, 8, 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t2810) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2810) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2810
      Main pot: t2810 between BB and Hero, won by BB

Results:
      BB had 2, 7 (two pair, sevens and twos).
      Hero had A, A (one pair, Aces).
      Outcome: BB won t2810

I might have been upset if it was a bigger amount of chips but since it was so small I laughed. the best against the worst :)

I am quite happy of my week and managed a small cashout. I hope he coming week gonna be better
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      I have been reviewing my hands and man they are full of leaks on SSS and I can find a lot of leaks. I will try reducing the number of table for the next few days and increasing then slowly once I have fixed most of them. about 8BI down today after 4000 hands :( . I had a lot of bad luck but a lot of hands that I played badly as well. Without the hands I played badly I would have been well +ve.

I'll work on it from tomorrow.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Just had a closer look. I must be tired :) there are a few hands that I played badly but not that many. So all in all It does not seem that I palyed that bad. I will have another look at my mistakes tomorrow.
    • Teyiebuns
      Teyiebuns
      Bronze
      Hey, sorry to interupt your blog but I had to offer some words of encouragement! :-) I am a new player, only 2 weeks in so far, also SSS, but still NL10. So far 10k+ hands and I'm slightly down (-0.25BB/100).

I would love to be in the position were I was playing NL25 or even NL50 *gasps*. If I could cash out $100 I would proof wrong all the people who said I was crazy! :-P

I am looking forward to following your progress and and success! :-D

Teyiebuns
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

Nice blog! Too bad your wife wants cashouts because it slows down your progress... If you were playing higher limits $100 doesnt hurt the BR too much, but now... Oh well "If the boss says so". :) Just kidding.

Keep it up and I hope to follow you quickly at NL50.

Greetz,

T
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      @Teyiebuns: thanks for your encouragement makes me feel a lot better after tonight session. but well lets on dwell on variance and cheer up. Let's hope that down swing does not last. :)

I finish about 5BI down but nothing too bad. I just dont like to finish on a negative.

@Tampaloeres81: thanks for visiting my blog, and yes I need to keep the missus happy :) .
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

5BI is nothing ofcourse. But I don't like to end a session with a loss either. It really gives a nasty feeling. Maybe this is an attitude issue which needs to be resolved. Cos you can play every hand perfectly and still loose thanks to our friend variance. So if you played your session ok, then why feel bad about it...
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      man I wish variance was my friend, If you could introduce me I would appreciate :D
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Silver
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      Hi,

5BI is nothing ofcourse. But I don't like to end a session with a loss either. It really gives a nasty feeling. Maybe this is an attitude issue which needs to be resolved. Cos you can play every hand perfectly and still loose thanks to our friend variance. So if you played your session ok, then why feel bad about it...
      i also dont like ending a session with a loss either. but its something we have to come to terms with in the long run.

the more i think about it the more it ruined my day. so i decided to do some swimming in the middle of sessions everyday to keep my mind clear.

games improved alot since then whether i book a winning session or not
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      i had a very short session about one hour with 16 tables open. Well I can only say thank you Tampaloeres81 for talking to your friend variance about me :D .

well to say it short I was running hot. I lost very few hands even when I was behind preflop. (it is so nice when the table turns sometimes)

My steals were seldomly getting called. My rubbsih big blinds were hitting trips (ie hole cards 47, flop 44J ) etc...

So I finished about $60 +ev.

I have started a $5 sng as so far I am doing pretty good on those. 9 and have a 54% roi about. It is such a small sample that it might not be reliable so I keep going and will keep updates on those as well on this blog.

As for the 1st SNG of the night (There might not be that many since I am exausted ) which is happening as I am wirtting this blog only 4 players and I am chip leader by about twice the amount of the second player. ( well not quite any more lol but stil chip leader by quite a bit)

anyway that is it for now and might get back later after the sng session or tomorrow
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Well I can only say thank you Tampaloeres81 for talking to your friend variance about me :D .
      :D hahaha.

Good to hear that you run good :) Garphs???

Why do you mix up between SSS and SNG? Sometime I also play some SNG just for fun (which is important too!) People say it is best to stick to 1 strategy, so you can master it easier.

Greetz,

T
    • ksh198
      ksh198
      Bronze

GET A FUCKING STACK. you think TNL got good by being a SSer? don't think so.
    • Orvara
      Orvara
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ksh198

Wow easy tiger. He´s just starting his poker adventures. That´s right TNL don´t shortstack but many other players started by playing sss and then moved on to other variants of poker.

I say to thazar, good job so far and we demand graphs
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      No need to get all worked up!

There is no harm in seeking a little inspiration.

SSS is a easy way to start the pokercareer, and there is no harm in playing it. Makes it harder for us BSS'ers to win the moniez, but hey we should be up for the challange ;)

I say keep up the good work thazar and keep us updated!

Best regards,
      vonki
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Originally posted by ksh198

Hi ksh

well at least you voice your opinions

I am playing SSS but as you know on ftp they won't allow it for long so since I quite like ftp I will need to change strategy anyway. I don't think their is a need to be rude though.

I just take it as a stepping stone for my poker adventure. But it is fun to see those big stack get worked up when you get double up :s_cool:

@vonki & ovara: thank you for your comments and support

@Tampaloeres81: some graph to come later on; I checked my AI graph an it is interesting. going to eat now will expend later
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      as promissed some graphs

or at least an attempt at the moment to post some as it is the first time.

those are the graphs for yesterday's session:

and then is my all in performance for the day before to compare :D

I am not sure if i understand well the mmoney expected won... Is it like in a perfect world where AA would always beat KK? If I was favorite at the time of the all in and the green line is the actual result?
    • LiquidCity
      LiquidCity
      Bronze
      It's not a perfect world.

I hope I can explain it a bit, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you go preflop all-in with AA against KK you will win the pot about 82 out of 100 times = 82%.

If you can max. win 10$ (so a 20$-pot) with AA vs KK preflop all-in, the EV will be 82% of that amount. This means your EV-winnings will be 8.20$. --> Your Expected Winnings-graphic will move 8.20$ up.

So that's the blue line. The green line is your actuall winnings.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Hi

just had a 13BI down swing in a 1h30 session. I think I must have slightly tilted at one point as well. But well My rakeback and the work of hte week is gone :) .

I will have to reflect on the next course of action

I had JuiceQuadre on my right at one table. I am always happy to see fellow stategists around me. I dont really know why but it does. ALmost said hi but then worried to get flamed as a short stack so I did not lol

I am gonna give a try to some sng and see if I can cheer up on that side
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      here is the AI graph for my SSS session today.

also my SNG session did not start great but we will see I still got under half my stack left :D

By the way the time I uploaded the picture I doubled up so I am still on trck for the 1st sng :) .

Youhouhou!