How are things? From Ireland by the way

• Clareman
      Clareman
      Bronze
      Hi there,

just wanted to say hello to everybody in this community. Joint a couple of weeks ago but would like to get involved a bit more as the people in this community appear to me as a generally decent bunch.

I am German living in Ireland for good and I love it. It's a great place to live for my family and me. Working hard during the day and my hobbies are paddling, fishing and of course Poker.

My porker "career"(well, maybe a bit big word) started in 2007 and I played for a couple of month. Lost my first $10 worked my way back and stopped. (Don' remember why) I only got back playing more in November last year. Then I came across this site and I find it incredibly well done. A lot of contents which appear to me high standard and the whole set up is outstanding. Now it's time to improve my play and having fun by using the contents of the site and hopefully getting help of the community (that's the plan at least).

As you know playing poker as a hobby with the intention to improve to make a bit money out of it is smiled at by your surroundings until you proof it. ---haven't reached this stage yet but working hard at it.---- Friends and family are kind of smiling when you talk about your plans and almost nobody believes that this can be done really as most people in my surroundings believe Poker is gambling only and they don't see the prospects you have if you take the time and effort to improve. Not speaking of my colleagues which lol if I tell em I had a good session playing for 4 hours, 250 hands (single tabling as I am still having problems with multi tabling) and I won $6 at Fixed Limit 0.10/0.20 tables. But you have to get over it I presume. :-)

Well, I am a small winner. At least I can say that. I have basic knowledge of the game but I find it difficult to implement what I have learned into my game. ---By the way BIG THANKS to Pokerstrategy for providing the Starting Hand Sheets and Strategies for Fixed Limit--- Great stuff, helps a lot. What I am looking for is advice on how to improve. I mean it's easy to work through all the stuff available here but you know, if you don't have a proper plan how and what to learn your learning curve might be only a straight line.

So, maybe you want to let me know how you improved your game and in what way pokerstrategy and the community behind it helped you?

All feedback welcome and much appreciated.

Slain and hopefully talk to you soon...
      Clareman
  • 1 reply
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Clareman,

Great intro, thanks for letting us know a little about you and welcome to the English Community :)

I believe that there are 2x distinct types of poker players, some who look upon it as an income, like work almost and those that just enjoy playing poker at whatever level and with whatever success.

I'm certainly with the latter and have been playing poker for the best part of 20 years with only moderate success, but I have had a lot of fun over this time and that is important too.

As a hobby I think poker is great and the guys & girls I've met in PokerStrategy have been superb... very friendly, very funny, very supportive & great company to be around.

I used to be a -ve cash game player and now I'm a break even/slightly +ve player, solely down to PokerStrategy learning material. I think for new players without my old bad habits, it is even more beneficial with many making considerable amounts of money from their game.

Each to their own, just find whatever level fits your game and fits in with outside life and above all continue to enjoy your poker.

Your very welcome to the community and we all hope to see you active around the forums in the coming weeks/months.

Warmest regards,

Bart