English as Foreign Lang. Exams

• Sczcepanik
      Sczcepanik
      Bronze
      Hi there! :f_biggrin:

I am planning to take an international exam to certify my English as a Foreign Language in the next months...

I would like to ask you guys for some info about :

- The recognition of these certifications in EU and US/Canada
      - Which one would be better in general (both for study and work intends)
      - The main differences between each one
      - General tips if possible / feedback

At this moment I really don't know for which one should I attempt:

:spade: Cambridge ESOL
      :spade: IELTS
      :spade: TOEFL iBT
      :spade: TOEIC

Since only Cambridge ESOL doesn't use a score grade system, is there a huge difference (difficulty involved) from CAE to CPE exams?

Are "grammar in use / reading-writing" tests challenging? (I mean, can a really dumb native fail it? LOL)

Which of them have "speaking and listening" tests? (I want a complete one!)

Well, sorry for bothering and TIA for any reply! :f_grin:
  • 20 replies
    • kodjakas
      kodjakas
      Bronze
      i have done the TOEIC test and it is very very simple. I part : you have to discribe what is in the picture and some grammar II part : listening. Evrybody who has learnd English in highschool should do the test easily.

As you can see my english isnt good at all :D :D .
      But the test is quite long ... about 3h if i remember correctly

( i am from Estonia btw)
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      You actually study for an English exam? The simplest language in the world?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      IELTS/TOEFL is the most ''recognized''. Above that is the International Baccalaureate.

Cambridge ESOL was like a lower more easier one to do I think, at least I got the opportunity to do that earlier than any other certificates ?(

I can't help you with the contents of the examination, I recommend to visit the websites of those institutions and find out how they examinate the students.

My International baccalaureate (2 years) consisted out of 2 essays (90 min. -> 1k words), 1 oral exam about literature, 1 team exam about culture and a creative assignment about global issues.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Actually English is one of the hardest languages in the world as nothing makes any logical sense. silent letters for no reason, a million different words all meaning the same thing etc.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      it just seems easy to us b/c it is our first language
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Actually English is one of the hardest languages in the world as nothing makes any logical sense. silent letters for no reason, a million different words all meaning the same thing etc.
      Yeah, it's aphonetic, so what? Russian is an almost perfectly phonetic language, yet incomparably more difficult. And English doesn't have as many synonyms as you might imagine. With a vocabulary of just 100 words you can make yourself understandable in most situations.

Originally posted by fun101rockets
      Fourth for some of us.
    • Sczcepanik
      Sczcepanik
      Bronze
      With a vocabulary of just 100 words you can make yourself understandable in most situations.
      I know I can survive with my currently skills outside my country, but the point is about using it in a professional way.

Just imagine if you need to assist a Japanese guy whose second language is English, about stock market issues. How can you handle it, if you don't master a "perfect" spoken and written English with a wide vocabulary? (Of course, based on a non-native worker.)

In fact, I started this thread because many multinational companies require exams in order to prove your English proficiency. And of course, I have no idea of which one should I do. :f_biggrin:

Thanks once again! :f_thumbsup:
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      I've already worked on prepparing student for taking the CAE exam, and it demands a pretty decent level of English, but I don't think any dumb native could possibly fail it. The CPE seemed significantly more difficult, with very specific vocabulary and grammar issues. I only glanced through the CPE books though.
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      I took FCE exam 2years ago.. n hey..
      +Ppl know that, they ll believe ur english is more than enuf for starndart stuff..
      +rly simple
      -its relatively costly i guess
      -no hot chicks there
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      http://www.princeton.edu/admission/applyingforadmission/international_students/

If you attend a secondary school where English is not the primary language of instruction, and if English is not the primary language spoken in your home, you are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). To register to take the test in your country, go to http://www.toefl.org.

We encourage applicants attending schools outside the U.S. or Canada to complete their required standardized testing by the December test date if possible (SAT Reasoning Test or ACT, and two SAT Subject Tests, and TOEFL, if applicable).

or
      http://www.yale.edu/admit/international/toefl/index.html
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I'm gonna do IELTS in march and it's pretty much accepted by all unis etc.... the only problem there is is that it costs bloody 190€!
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      what? you mean all you guys on here, speaking and writing in better english than 90% of the english people I know (probably including myself) are not actualy english? ?(
    • MarkasKR
      MarkasKR
      Bronze
      I had TOFEL long time ago... (4 years actually). It looked quite hard to me that time... My results was 493 (490 to pass) from 650 if I remember correctly. I took that exam to have a possibility to study at LCC International University. I am going to graduate this year. :]
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I am Dutch Joshquan :P

Yea Primzi, the price is premium yes but considering the EV of it in the long run, it gives you the cutting edge to be admitted or not for an university if we are internationaly speaking.

I paid like 600eu for 2 1/2 year for International Baccalaureate + loads of fun^^
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      what? you mean all you guys on here, speaking and writing in better english than 90% of the english people I know (probably including myself) are not actualy english? ?(
      I'm not =D
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      No, it really is easy compared to other languages. I took three semesters of german classes and it's about eight million times harder. Portuguese is also a lot harder.

On topic: I think TOEFL is the best to take. At least that's the test people I know usually take, and it seems to be quite complete and widely accepted.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      What makes English easy is that there are words are rarely conjugated profusely like in many other languages. Basically, the almost total absence of gender makes English so much easier than any other language in the world.

And of course, because we all are in contact with the language on a daily basis, wherever we venture, makes it easier to learn it without putting any effort into learning. It just happens through repeated exposure.
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      IELTS is the best suggestion
      reason:
      1,there are plenty of weak opponent (fish)in IELTS so you can achieve good socre.Nowaday more and more people were take IELTS test, it is profitable to compete with those guys who have no sense of English.

2,the traffic in IELTS are prety good, you don't need to wait serveral month to start an test, the IELTS test is like a SNG you can attend it every week.

3,the rake back strategy is very good at IELTS, if you registered a test and find out you can receive your money back

4,they offer very convenience and many deposit methods

5,There are a lot of ielts test strategy on the internet. The easiest way is recite all the answer of ielts test, which you can find on internet. The ielts will use their task again and again. if you recite every answer of the questions you are possible to make good score.

6,they offer mixed test you can take listening writing oral reading 4 skills ,so the variance will be lower.

7,the rake is reasonable, just 200 dollar in my country

8 they offer good service

9 not the least, but is the last, they get wide recogintion

but the bad thing is that they do not offer first deposit bonus, which means if you take ielts test first and deposit money in their company, you don't get bonus.

So that is my opinion, I got ielts 6.5 socre before, it is ok , but I am not the pro in IELTS :D
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I am a native english speaker but i dun no spek propa