[NL2-NL10] NL4 77 all-in on flop

• t3d
      t3d
      Bronze
      Hi all, This is my first post and I would like to know if my decision was correct. Thanks in advance .

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $6.73
      BB:
      $5.52
      UTG2:
      $6.78
      MP1:
      $4.54
      MP2:
      $3.09
      MP3(Hero):
      $5.31
      CO:
      $5.46
      BU:
      $5.04

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7, 7.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.04, MP2 calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.32, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.28, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.28.

Flop: ($1.04) T, 8, 7 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.74, MP1 calls $0.74, Hero raises to $4.99, SB folds, MP1 calls $3.48.

Turn: ($10.99) Q (2 players)

River: ($10.99) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.99.
      Results follow:

MP1 shows a flush, queen high(Q A).
      Hero shows three of a kind, sevens(7 7).

MP1 wins with a flush, queen high(Q A).
      Hero wins with three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Raise it up preflop over the limpers, they have nothing more often than not so we don't mind pickup up the pot right now, sometimes they'll call preflop and fold on a lot of flops, sometimes they'll make a pair and we'll get their stack with a set. Even if they do have something they are bad so we can outplay them. Thus we need the pot bigger in position with a hand as strong as 77 to make more money off them. Overcalling the isoraise is fine.

I'd play the flop the same way with so much money in the pot already, folding when we have the best hand so often against an overpair and some random draws / weak pairs is criminal, and by just calling we risk both losing action from draws if they miss and getting outdrawn if they hit.

Result-wise you got it in with 70% equity which is incredibly good, shit happens. Make a note that MP1 played it horribly all the way and move on.

Hope it helps.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      "Raise it up preflop over the limpers, they have nothing more often than not so we don't mind pickup up the pot right now, sometimes they'll call preflop and fold on a lot of flops, sometimes they'll make a pair and we'll get their stack with a set."

Do i understand correctly: Because of the dead money we plan to raise and c/bet most flops. If we get any resitance we will give up the hand unless we have a set. We expect to make money like this because all the times we will pick up the pot preflop or on the flop plus those very rare occations when villan hits the flop and we hit our set makes it +EV.

How would you have played this hand if all involved had double stacks?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pretty much yes. Some players never raise, but most will still open raise good hands even if they open limp with the other 90% of the deck, so by default just assume they have crappy stuff like K5s/65s, stuff that might fold to a preflop raise to begin with and will miss most flops anyway, forcing them to check/fold to our c-bet after giving us even more money.

As for the 200bb deep thing, i doubt it makes a big difference at nl4. Anything worth going broke with for 100bb will go broke for 200bb without thinking too much about it. Since there are cards we'll hate on the turn we still have to raise, i'd make it big like $5 to deter people from just calling and go broke all the same.

Hope it helps.