Why did I end up in 3rd place and not 2nd?

• skateblind
      skateblind
      Bronze
      Hello,

Firstly I want to apologise if this has been asked already, but it is a difficult question to search for.

I recently played a SnG at Titan poker against 5 other players. It came down to me and 2 other players, I had the smallest stack. We all went all-in and I ended up with the second best hand, but I was only awarded with 3rd place, even though the game had finished with that being the last hand.

I have asked the staff at Titan Poker to explain this to me and their reasoning is that the player who came second had more chips than me before the hand had started, so even though he had the 3rd best hand, he still came 2nd because of the chip count.

What I find unusual is that we both lost all our chips to the same player, so when it was time evaluate who had come in 2nd place, we both had 0 chips, but I had the better hand.

Am I wrong?

Thank you.
  • 7 replies
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      you both lost your money to the same player, and you were both eliminated. You started with fewer chips, so you finish in 3rd and he in 2nd.. that's how it works..
    • zhorzh
      zhorzh
      Bronze
      It is the chip count before u went all-in that counts.
      Whenever there is a multiway all-in in a SnG, the finishing positions (and therefore the prizes as well) are determined this way.
      In your case, you had the least chips when you went all in. So even though you both busted out of the tourney, your opp had more chips than you before the all-in, so he finished above you.
    • skateblind
      skateblind
      Bronze
      I do understand that, but what annoys me is that if it was just me and him, I would have won and we would both still be in the game. When it came down to deciding 2nd and 3rd place, the only way to decide would be our cards since we both had 0 chips. I will accept that I am wrong, but I still don't believe it to be fair.

Thank you for the quick answers.
    • zhorzh
      zhorzh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by skateblind
      ... if it was just me and him....
      It is not just you and him. You both lost the pot, so no point in looking at your cards.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      The result is fair simply because it is the main pot which is decided first and any side pots are decided afterwards.

In a 3 way all in situation with for example chip stacks of 100, 300, 500 the main pot has 300 chips (100 from each player) and the side pot has 400 (200 from each of the other 2 remaining players). The chip leader still has 200 chips left.

The main pot is played for first as all 3 players are contesting that. If the player with the fewest chips loses that pot, that player is then eliminated. The side pot is then contested and if the player who was chipleader at the start of the all in situation wins that pot then the other player is eliminated and the game ends.

The important factor is the order in which the pots are played for. At any stage of the process the second best hand is still only second best will lose.

I could be wrong but that is my understanding of how multi way pots are decided and it is how I have worked out numerous multi-way pots while running games in my local pub.
    • skateblind
      skateblind
      Bronze
      That is a good explanation, thank you Fagin. :f_biggrin:
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Thanks, hope it helps your understanding of how multi-way pots are decided.

They can get more complicated with 5+ players involved and some going out, some splitting a side pot, one losing the main pot and a side pot but still making a profit on the hand etc.

They can also be simpler, I have seen a 5 way split pot, lol.

Gl for next time.

PS: these pots are all simple to work out when the poker site does everything automatically. They are a little more difficult when the game is live, the participants are novices and mostly drunk lol