[NL2-NL10] NL10 set on the flop

• wquinn636
      wquinn636
      Bronze
      Tricky situation here, villain appears to be your typical TAG but there weren't a lot of hands logged.

Hero is BU with $11.03
      MP3 has $8.40

Preflop: Hero is BU with 4:spade: , 4:diamond:
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.35, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.35, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.85) 5:heart: , 4:heart: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.85, Hero calls $0.85.

Turn: ($2.55) 9:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.50, Hero raises to $9.83 (All-In), MP2 calls $5.70 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($16.95) K:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $16.95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, fours (4s 4d)
      MP2 shows three of a kind, nines (9d 9s)

MP2 wins with three of a kind, nines (9d 9s)

Do I re-raise him on the flop?

The board looks a bit drawy, but with his range I only see him having four outs at most if he's holding an ace. If he has two hearts he probably has the ace for a gut-shot too so he's going broke against a re-raise anyway. Being in position I opted for the call to see if he fired another barrel. Right decision or should I be protecting?
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      I'd probably raise on the flop. Sure the board may look drawy but I don't think he is ever holding 36 lol and even 33 is pretty rare and then even if he has hearts he will still look you up probably. But by calling and letting him bet at you again he only bets $1.5 and if you had raised on the flop you could have made it say $2.5 so you are getting much better value imo by raising and you also protect.

Also if the board looks draw-heavy to you it's probably gonna look draw-heavy to him more times than him actually holding a draw on this board. Therefore you might find him shoving his overpairs a lot of the time - which is obviously what we want.

I think on the turn his bet a lot of the time there is a overpair and I don't think there is any point in doing anything than going all-in there.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      with drawy board and against potsize bet I think raising flop is better, since he would bet/call flop and c/c turn a wide range of hands that you get maximum value.