BU:
      $1.95
      SB:
      $28.50
      BB(Hero):
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $10.00

CO is raising with a very wide range in late position.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 6.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, CO calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.05) K, A, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.36, CO raises to $4.00, Hero calls $2.64.

Turn: ($10.05) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5.00, Hero calls $5.00.

River: ($20.05) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.05.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Tough spot really, he'd have to be insane to be bluffing on that flop since it should smash your 3betting range without history, and yet his value raising range would be rather tight unless he's flatting preflop with AK/KK+. Not everybody even calls 44 preflop, most people would flat AQ on the flop. That leaves us with better spade draws, preflop slowplayed stuff and maybe some spazzes but his raise is totally committing so him bluffing isn't very likely at all.

Bottom line is without history i think we're screwed and i don't really want to go broke there on the flop with no fold equity whatsoever and a tainted 9-outer at best. That leaves calling, but what do we expect? We have to fold on non spades turns, on spade turns we can't really risk him checking behind and seeing a 4th spade coming so we'd probably jam ourselves, and yet he could very well have a higher flush leaving us drawing dead. Even then if he indeed slowplays some KK+ preflop he still has boat outs.

I think it's a fold on the flop against somebody who has a clue as sad as it looks, he's not screwing around on that board and our prospects in the hand are mediocre at best. If he's horrible/insane i don't mind your line, he'll probably show up with enough crap Ax to make it +ev.

Hope it helps.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      How would you have played the hand? Fold/call rather than 3bet pre?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't think the 3bet preflop is bad per se, tho it's probably premature when you only know that he's "opening a lot from the CO". It only tells you he steals a lot, not what he does when he gets 3bet. If he's calling a ton of 3bets in position you'll get in trouble more often than not with a hand without high cards where it's really tough to know where you're at.

I might call depending on how he plays postflop, if he's easy to push out when he has nothing and/or he easily stacks off light when he gets a piece. Otherwise i think you're better off folding it. Too many people get caught 3betting pretty stuff at low stakes and then going broke postflop when they get a piece because "i have to go with my hand now", when in reality this argument is meaningless until you start running into players against whom you actually have to balance and protect your ranges. At nl10, nobody cares that you're exploitable if you don't go broke after c-betting that board or anything, so there is no reason to go through with these marginally -EV situations when the metagame advantages you get from them are way above your opponents' heads.

Hope it helps.