Disipline, patience and tilt.

• Frirkh
      Frirkh
      Bronze
      Hi, i love playing poker, but I have a problem. Even though I think I make good decisions most of the time, I keep losing. I think it is because I lack patience and go on tilt way too easily. Sometimes even though i know i am beat, and I still go all in. And even though i know and starting hand is not good enough i still play It.
      Do you guys have any suggestion about how i can solve these problems.

How do you stop going on tilt?

And how can you learn patience and disipline

FrirkH
  • 15 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      stressball, not caring about results but rather about your game, taking a break every now and then, set a stop/loss :)
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Gold
      I think everyone came through this.. How long have you been playing ?
      You ll b able to protect urself from tilts soon enough..
      But, way to improve it ? .. Improve your game and stick with your reads, do long-term profitable decisions rather than thinking about outcome of each hand..
    • Frirkh
      Frirkh
      Bronze
      I have been playing for about 6 Months :( it is actually feels kind embarrasing that i have not got a grip of this yet.
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Gold
      Forget about that. Dont feel embarassed..
      This site is the best to help you!
      Everyone here is really friendly so Im sure someone will come along with new tips and tricks for u to make it work..
      Gl;)
    • Frirkh
      Frirkh
      Bronze
      Somebody mentioned taking a break to cool off. Does anybody know any other techniques to deal with the emotion of tilting or steaming.
    • wquinn636
      wquinn636
      Bronze
      Play with a more conservative bankroll so you concentrate on making the right moves and don't need to worry so much about results. Experience helps too. The first time you take a seriously bad beat it messes with your head, but the hundredth time it happens you don't really take any notice.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      lol don't do it, that's a pretty good start.
    • HannesNL
      HannesNL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      lol don't do it, that's a pretty good start.
      ya indeed, if you think you are beat just fold. The only reward you get from that is making money, which is a pretty nice reward.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i have been playin for a few years and i still have this problem.
    • Frirkh
      Frirkh
      Bronze
      Well maybe you can never really get away from this problem.
      But in the last couple of days i have come to think, that if you just accept reality and luck as a part of the game then you will not go on tilt.

"Skillful players often moan because there is too much luck involved in poker. They feel it gives those "suckers" too much of a chance.
      But those players would not be there if it was not for this luck factor. Just why would they play if they knew for sure they would lose"?

Quote Doyle Brunson

I like his view on this after all he is problably the most experienced player ever. :D
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hi m8t every 1 goes on tilt now and then, I find the best way to deal with it when I feel I'm going on tilt is to take a break go make ur self a cuppa and come to ps have a bitch about it then get back to the game.

Hope this help (it help me when I started and I still go on tilt from time to time)

so relax play ur game let the fish play theirs as u can't change it and in the end they give u there money. :D
    • straightless
      straightless
      Bronze
      You answered yourself already mate.
      Start to make RIGHT decisions on PF already (u said u often play bad hands..). Be disciplined with your starting hands! Make a PLAN how you will play your hand when @ flop and postflop ofcourse.
      Try to multitable. Play as many tables as you feel comfortable with it. Too many tables -> this is madness! With not enough tables I get bored..
      Loosing a hand, if you played it correctly it's no biggie, keep on tellin yourself you'll win a long run -> Proper MINDSET is important!
      When loosin' against donks and stuff dont get angry TRY to stay COOL, convince yourself even to laugh, just laugh a little at opponent :)
      Take some fresh air when grinding, DO sports, DO mindgames (there is ton of them on net), DRINK a lot of water while you sit in front of comp long time(google it how important it is for your brain if you found my statementt funneh) ohhhh :)
      Observe tables and players lines as max as it's possible! Try to do good reads, FOLD when you know you're beaten.
      Nevah fold a Winner! AA is just a pair you kno! Nevah bluff a calling station....!
      Hehe, there's plenty of such a rules. I wish you all the best, play well!
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Frirkh
      Somebody mentioned taking a break to cool off. Does anybody know any other techniques to deal with the emotion of tilting or steaming.

hmm like 2 hours ago i rammed my fist into the wall.. still hurts like hell :( and ive been only playing for 1 or 2 weeks.. (sick )

lost 4 SNG's becaus of the AK and just totally freaked out ! (preflop against 55 66 99 and KK 3 were bb and 1 sb). I was standing (i dont know why but when i go allin i go stand) and had todo something.. lol

the SNG after that (was playing with the other hand) i got 3rth.. so maybe a tip and play with the other hand ? :x
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Taking a break when you get hot is key. It's hard to do that in a tourney or SNG though. Psychologically, if I get the worst end of a bad beat, I really try to make a point of laughing it off and typing in NH or GG in the chat box, instead of calling the guy a donk, idiot, or questioning how they can play cheese like J2 offsuit in early position. It sounds too simple, but I find that helps interrupt the rage/anger response a bit... laughter does block some of the stress hormones your body releases.

I also remind myself right away of times I've sucked out as a dog in a hand, which everyone does more often than they might like to think. Obviously you want to be in a position to suck out less often than a fish, but everybody still sucks out pretty regularly. Remind yourself it all comes back around, and if you are the better player, the good will come back around your way more often than not... even if it takes awhile to see those results. Of course, if you are tilting off your chips, the reverse will be true... so remind yourself also that a stupid play made in anger will cost you both immediately and over the long run.
    • s1ndr0me
      s1ndr0me
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Frirkh
      I have been playing for about 6 Months :( it is actually feels kind embarrasing that i have not got a grip of this yet.
      I wouldnt sweat it, It took me at least 6 months to start consistantly winning at the nanos. I'm still only playing NL10 over a year later. Even had to deposit a few times. Now with good BRM (read anal brm) I haven't deposited since dec 27th 2008.

If you can participate in the PS live coachings as they are worth the membership to this site alone

Keep reading, keep your eye on the prize and it WILL slowly come together.