Soundgarden Reunion!

• 22 replies
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      That's some good news right there! Although I liked Audioslave more, due to the fact that it was a combination of Soundgarden and Rage against the Machine.
    • zhorzh
      zhorzh
      Bronze
      Oh Yeah!

Definitely one of THE bands of the 90s
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vhallee
      That's some good news right there! Although I liked Audioslave more, due to the fact that it was a combination of Soundgarden and Rage against the Machine.
      How can you say Audioslave>SG and RATM? Music isn't like poker (maths) where a hybrid of two great bands makes an even better one. Kind of like how AK isnt better than AA or KK haha.

Anyways, glad to see at least some PS members have good taste in music.
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      SG, Rage Against the Machine...Blahhhh Blahhhh Blahhhh....

They're No Back Street Boys :D :D :D :D :D

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

LMAO :D
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Is Chris Cornell with them? He is the band.
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joronamo
      Originally posted by vhallee
      How can you say Audioslave>SG and RATM? Music isn't like poker (maths) where a hybrid of two great bands makes an even better one. Kind of like how AK isnt better than AA or KK haha.

Anyways, glad to see at least some PS members have good taste in music.
      In this case, the combination was successful imo. This is why I said that. I don't appreciate hybrids in music, but this one was one that I liked.
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Although you are entitled to your opinion, in the music world it is just a fact that SG and RATM are much better than audioslave. You cant even compare.
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Don't get me wrong - I never said that Audioslave was better than Soundgarden or RATM, I just said that this combination was good, unlike other hybrids. They did their thing and it worked out quite nicely imo. It is not a matter of who's better, since we're talking about pretty much different areas in music that they covered.
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      it's also a non contestable topic, opinion, is opinion...no1 can be right or wrong...

:)

Sabo :club:
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      THE BEST COMBO was Temple of the Dog which split into SG and Pearl Jam
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      You are so freakin' old. :f_p:
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Thats wrong, Soundgarden was already formed before Temple, it was just a tribute to good friend Andrew Wood who OD'd. Pearl Jam was also together before Temple, they just hand't released anything yet because they were starting out. Ten was released a few months after though. THe reason Temple looks like a combo of the two is because PJ's Stone GOssard and Jeff Ament were in A band called Mother Love Bone which had ANdrew Wood in it. Chris Cornell was a good friend with Wood hence the combination of the two. They were all from Seattle.

At Vhalle: Pretty sure you did say Audioslave was better, otherwise I wouldnt have gotten so offended :P .

@ Sabo: Again wrong, no one is entitled to their opinion when it comes to this stuff. Its a fact SG and RATM were better than Audioslave. Its a fact that a commericialsed supergroup post '96 cant be better than its predecessors!

NOTHING AFTER 1996!!!!
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      You think hes old, Im 19 but Im still Generation X.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      You think hes old, Im 19 but Im still Generation X.
      No, I know he's old. It's a fact. :f_cool:

Re the Soundgarden v Audioslave question, without Chris Cornell's voice, both groups would just be a bunch of muso's.

Still, I can't find a way to disagree with your sentiments on the modest amount I've heard from Audioslave. Soundgarden were one of the groups that brought me back to rock music after the hair bands of the late 70s/80s ruined it for me.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze

@ Sabo: Again wrong, no one is entitled to their opinion when it comes to this stuff. Its a fact SG and RATM were better than Audioslave. Its a fact that a commericialsed supergroup post '96 cant be better than its predecessors!

True. Audioslaves music was ok, but kind of generic and unoriginal. Nobody could ever accuse SG or RATM of not being original.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze

Re the Soundgarden v Audioslave question, without Chris Cornell's voice, both groups would just be a bunch of muso's.

I cant agree with this - I think Chris Cornell is overrated as a musician. Cornell has a great voice, but Soundgardens sound was always driven by Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron, both brilliant musos who would have found success with any number of lead singers. The talent in Audioslave also clearly didnt lie in Cornell.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461

I cant agree with this - I think Chris Cornell is overrated as a musician. Cornell has a great voice, but Soundgardens sound was always driven by Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron, both brilliant musos who would have found success with any number of lead singers. The talent in Audioslave also clearly didnt lie in Cornell.
      Maybe I've overstated things, but I've always felt that distinctive voices - in whatever instrument - elevate the ordinary to good, or the good to great. I've no opinion on Chris's musicianship, but he does have a distinctive voice. I've never felt that about the use of any of the other instruments in that band.

Sorry to drive off topic slightly, but you occassionally get bands where you have multiple distinctive voices. Then you can get exceptional:

Freddy Mercury/Brian May
      Robert Plant/Jimmy Page/John Bonham/John Paul Jones
      Sting/Stewart Copeland/Andy Sumner
      Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour
      Bono/The Edge/Larry Mullin Jr

Apologies for the hijack. GO SOUNDGARDEN!
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze

Maybe I've overstated things, but I've always felt that distinctive voices - in whatever instrument - elevate the ordinary to good, or the good to great. I've no opinion on Chris's musicianship, but he does have a distinctive voice. I've never felt that about the use of any of the other instruments in that band.

Sorry to drive off topic slightly, but you occassionally get bands where you have multiple distinctive voices. Then you can get exceptional:

Freddy Mercury/Brian May

Man Matt Cameron is an amazing drummer. Probably one of the most underrated of all time. His use of the Toms is amazing. Ben Shepherd is am amazing bas player. He has the most weird fills and compositions in his bass lines. As A bass player I appreciate this alot. If you are not into music that in depth and are just a consumer I dont expect you to understand. Kim THayil is amazing too.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze

Freddy Mercury/Brian May

Man Matt Cameron is an amazing drummer. Probably one of the most underrated of all time. His use of the Toms is amazing. Ben Shepherd is am amazing bas player. He has the most weird fills and compositions in his bass lines. As A bass player I appreciate this alot. If you are not into music that in depth and are just a consumer I dont expect you to understand. Kim THayil is amazing too.
      Right, you tryin' to get my dander up, boy? :f_mad: :f_p:

Jus' kiddin'. Truth is in high rotating SuperUnknown I was NEVER GRABBED by the bass playing or drumming. Compositionally the songs are solid, the musicianship is clearly very good, but I can honestly say I've never been dragged into the bass lines or drumming to any degree the same way I can say I've been dragged into by other bands.

I'd take Omar Hakim over Matt Cameron any day btw. I've always figured Stewart Copeland to be the most underrated drummer, but that's me.

Anyway, I can tell you LOVE Soundgarden, so I'll leave ya to it. Enjoy the tour when it happens and I hope you can get to it!