[NL2-NL10] Nl5 JJ

• amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Villian was 24/5 and had been calling c-bets a lot with a slight piece of board. I know shoving on river was wrong really, but is it acceptable to bet/fold on this board?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $2.18
      CO:
      $5.55
      BU:
      $5.18
      SB:
      $7.94
      BB:
      $3.20
      UTG2(Hero):
      $5.24
      MP1:
      $5.26

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J, J.
      Hero raises to $0.20, MP1 calls $0.20, 3 folds, BU calls $0.20, SB calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.85) J, T, A (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.51, MP1 calls $0.51, BU folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($1.87) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: ($1.87) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, MP1 raises to $3.30, Hero raises to $4.53, MP1 calls $1.23.

Final Pot: $10.93.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, jacks(J J).
      MP1 shows a straight, ace high(J K).

MP1 wins with a straight, ace high(J K).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Bet bigger on the flop, at least $0.65. Reason being he's not folding any piece of that board in my opinion. Ax he's calling no matter what, any pair with a gutshot he's calling no matter what, anything that missed he's not calling with no matter the bet size.

Turn is obviously horrible, i don't mind the check since we don't know how likely that guy is to raise worse hands like two pairs on the turn and getting blown off our boat outs if we're behind would suck. I might even check/fold if he bets huge, i don't think a 24/5 will bet there two pairs very often, so his betting range is heavily weighted toward Kx and we don't get odds to crack it with these stacks if he bets big enough. If you think he's a slowplayer and might just call a blockbet from you or make some kind of minraise, i don't mind trying to see the river for cheap that way either.

On the river i don't think he's bluffing so i would prefer to bet/fold to get value from two pairs hands that might not find a fold. When he raises he has Kx.

Hope it helps.