Pablo'SSS 2010 Poker Journey (FTP sucks! Cake Poker NL50 SSS)

• pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Previous lame blog.

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: INTRODUCTION :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:

:spade: Hello everyone, my name is Pablo, I'm 21 years old and I'm from Mexico. I'm currently a student majoring in chemical engineering at a university here in Mexico City. I'm going to give blogging and Poker a real serious attempt in 2010, and so new year, new blog, lots of learning, lots of bad beats, lots of improving and beating limits I hope!

:spade: I've recently experienced alot of dilemma's in my life, and I have come to realize my major is simply not my passion, FAR from it in fact. My true passion is football but I am a bit too old to pursue that, even though I haven't given up hope just yet. And so I came across Poker Texas Hold'em. My other hobby is the Pokemon TCG which I am very succesful at (you can find out more about me by googling: Pablo Meza Pokemon) and currently run a website of that same hobby.

:spade: I've known how to play since 2004 but I was too young and too naive to fully understand the game and obviously to play it legally. Despite this though, I would organise private outings amongst my friends and I would most of the time beat them and win the money. I always knew I had potential to be a winning player, but when I discovered PokerStrategy I realized I had no idea whatsoever what actually knowing how to play Poker meant.

:spade: Here's a rundown by months on how my Poker career has been so far:

• August: SSS'ing and easily going on tilt, hence losing money and not studying therefore not making any improvements.
      • September: Same thing until mid September where thanks to bonuses and rakeback I am rolled for NL5 BSS and decide to make the switch to BSS after a bit of studying.
      • October: Playing BSS maniac style and run into a heater. Thinking I'm good the heater ends and I lose my money on SnG's and bad plays.
      • November: Decide to re-educate myself, study alot more, etc. Major improvements to my game and I beat NL2 comfortably, but NL5 proves impossible.
      • December: Move up to NL10 cause of bonuses and rakeback, and same story as NL5 except the losses are bigger and my mentality is not ready for them. Towards the end of the month I was very unmotivated and stopped caring about Poker.

• January: Decide to give SSS another go, starting from NL25, and I am not switching out from this now. It's either do or die for me, and I believe once I move up to NL50 and am able to use stats I will find it much less variance oriented and will see improvements on my BB/100. So far I have some very good and some very bad days, and I tilted away $50 to a fish who sucked out on me every single time. I hope to beat NL25 with at least 1BB / 100 but this is the only limit I will play in all January, and come February I will evaluate if I beat it and move up or not accordingly. UPDATE (25/01/2010): FTP's new minimum buy-in pretty much killed SSS there. There aren't enough shallow tables available to keep playing there and so it's time to move on. After I clear my first deposit bonus of $49 I'm off to Cake Poker.

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: GOALS :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:

:heart: Short Term
      SSS
      • Beat NL25 in January with 1BB/100 at least.
      • Obtain Gold status on PokerStrategy.
      Self-Study / Psychology
      • Post hands for revision at least once every 2 days, both well played and fish hands.

:heart: Long Term
      • Become one of the first mexican Black Members of PS.com.

:heart: Lifetime:
      • Study, review sessions, watch videos, get involved in discussions, never stop learning.
      • Learn to control my tilt, which I KNOW is my biggest weakness right now.
      • STOP being a curious cat and paying to see other people's cards despite me knowing I'm beat. Happens to me way too often. I don't call with rubbish, but I do with marginal hands.

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: ACCOMPLISHMENTS :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:

:spade: And that's it for now. I hope people will follow this noob's blog in my attempt to becoming a succesful Poker player in Mexico. I will of course try to post hands and interesting events from my sessions on here.
  • 15 replies
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Well here's my first update, after a very nice day.

:spade: 11/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 1185
      :spade: BB's: 120
      :spade: BB/100: 10.13

Played 2 sessions today, 1 morning session and 1 afternoon session. The morning session ended up +20 BB's, which was nice after around 750 hands or so. I have to say playing in the morning is alot harder than playing in the afternoon/evening. European players are definately better at the Low/Micro stakes than Americans and so it's a much tighter play. The session that ended just now finished +100 BB's after a little under 500 hands and in these 1185 hands I ran my AK into AA 3 times and into KK once, so that cut down on my winrate for the day. I wish I could keep playing as I was playing in some very nice tables, but I have school tomorrow and a very long day so I need to get some sleep.

Here are some hands from my sessions. I'll try to post interesting ones like freeplays and steals/resteals as the standard bet/push with premiums of the basic SSS are probably boring to read.

Here fishy fishy!

Known players:     
      SB:
      $28.07
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $9.75
      CO:
      $11.69

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.71 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:heart: , A:club:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.25, BU folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.00) A:spade: , 5:diamond: , 7:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets $1.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.75 (All-In), MP2 calls $3.75.

Turn: ($10.50) A:heart:
      River: ($10.50) 4:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.50

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows trío, ases (Th Ac)
      MP2 shows dos pares, ases y sietes (7c Kc)

Hero wins with trío, ases (Th Ac)

This guy defended his BB with any two literally. He would push AI with crap no matter where the raise came from, UTG or BU he always pushed so I figured A8s was way ahead of his range.

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $29.41

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:spade: , A:spade:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, BB raises to $29.41 (All-In), Hero calls $4.00 (All-In), BB gets uncalled bet back.

Flop: ($10.00) 2:spade: , 5:club: , 4:diamond:
      Turn: ($10.00) J:diamond:
      River: ($10.00) 3:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.00

Hero shows escalera, cinco alto (8s As)
      BB shows carta alta rey con kicker dama (Qh Ks)

Hero wins with escalera, cinco alto (8s As)

Another hand against the same villain in another table. It sucks I didn't leave the table with my 25 BB's like I was supposed to :( . This was my fishy moment of the day.

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $6.34
      BB:
      $20.00

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:diamond: , Q:club:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, BB raises to $6.00, Hero raises to $6.34 (All-In), BB calls $0.34.

Flop: ($12.68) 3:diamond: , 8:club: , 3:spade:
      Turn: ($12.68) 6:club:
      River: ($12.68) 2:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $12.68

Hero shows una pareja de treses (Jd Qc)
      BB shows full house, ochos sobre treses (8h 8d)

BB wins with full house, ochos sobre treses (8h 8d)

AT is not good enough preflop... I know it yet still keep raising with it! My call on the flop was retarded as well, as I knew I was beat 100% of the time.

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $25.47

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , T:club:
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, MP3 calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.60) J:heart: , 8:spade: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, MP3 raises to $3.75, Hero calls $2.50 (All-In).

Turn: ($10.10) 6:club:
      River: ($10.10) 4:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.10

Hero shows una pareja de ochos (Ac Tc)
      MP3 shows trío, ochos (8d Td)

MP3 wins with trío, ochos (8d Td)

So there you go. I had my good moments, I had my bad/fishy moments, and if I could've made half the mistakes I did, I could've probably ended this session at +200 BB's. Gotta keep improving and making less mistakes!
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      2nd post of the year, with a new update for my readers. I didn't update yesterday because of time constraints + homework + early day today I was only able to play my session but had to go sleep right after, so I will include both days here.

:spade: 12/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 849
      :spade: BB's: -19
      :spade: BB/100: -2.24

:spade: 13/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 1143
      :spade: BB's: +50.23
      :spade: BB/100: 4.40

Yesterdays session was very boring, I was card dead alot of the time and the blinds kept biting at my winnings and I wasn't even getting decent enough hands to steal with. Add to that one huge bad beat of my 40 BB deep stack KK vs AK vs 55 and a 5 hit on the river :( . As for today, I honestly got way too many bad beats and if I had HM or PT3 I'd probably be running -$20 or so in the $EV but oh well that's how it goes. I could've easily finished this session at +$40 or more but instead had to settle for 50 BB's which is ofcourse not bad at all.

Coming up the unusual hands from my session:

Known players:      
      Hero:
      $5.90
      MP1:
      $14.75
      BU:
      $22.33

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:diamond: , T:club:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 3 folds, BU calls $0.25, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.85) J:club: , 2:heart: , 2:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.75, MP1 folds, BU calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.35) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, BU calls $1.75.

River: ($5.85) 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.15 (All-In), BU calls $3.15.

Final Pot: $12.15

Hero shows trío, doses (2d Tc)
      BU shows dos pares, jotas y doses (Qs Jh)

Hero wins with trío, doses (2d Tc)

Fishy moment of the day :P

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $5.55
      BU:
      $24.95

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , 7:diamond:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BB folds, BU raises to $24.95 (All-In), Hero calls $4.05 (All-In), BU gets uncalled bet back.

Flop: ($11.35) 8:heart: , Q:heart: , 9:heart:
      Turn: ($11.35) 5:spade:
      River: ($11.35) 4:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $11.35

Hero shows carta alta as con kicker dama (Ad 7d)
      BU shows una pareja de seises (6c 6d)

BU wins with una pareja de seises (6c 6d)

I hate flushdraws :(

Known players:      
      SB:
      $13.70
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP1:
      $31.64

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:club: , 7:club:
      MP1 calls $0.25, 4 folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.50) J:spade: , 6:club: , 3:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero raises to $4.50 (All-In), MP1 folds, SB calls $3.00.

Turn: ($10.50) K:diamond:
      River: ($10.50) 4:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.50

Hero shows carta alta rey con kicker jota (8c 7c)
      SB shows una pareja de nueves (9d 9h)

SB wins with una pareja de nueves (9d 9h)

Finally my 1 million outer hits :P

Known players:       
      BB:
      $3.63
      Hero:
      $6.00

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q:spade: , A:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 5 folds, BB calls $0.35.

Flop: ($1.30) 5:spade: , J:diamond: , T:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BB raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $5.40 (All-In), BB calls $1.03 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($7.36) Q:heart:
      River: ($7.36) 2:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $7.36

Hero shows color, as alta (Qs As)
      BB shows dos pares, damas y dieces (Qd Th)

Hero wins with color, as alta (Qs As)

I just finished counting, and I lost 6 AI's when I was ahead when the money went in, oh well. Thanks for reading!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      When calculating equity I suggest you use Equilator to see how much equity you have when raising for example QJo and got raised.

That way you can mathematically proof and convice yourself to steal/fold your QJo

Good luck and keep us noticed on your progress

See you in the coachings? :)

- Gerv
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      When calculating equity I suggest you use Equilator to see how much equity you have when raising for example QJo and got raised.

That way you can mathematically proof and convice yourself to steal/fold your QJo

Good luck and keep us noticed on your progress

See you in the coachings? :)

- Gerv
      Thanks for the suggestion Gerv. I had reads on the villain that he was quite loose, and so I knew my QJo was ahead of his range, as when I 'reraised' all in for the extra 0.34cents, he really took his time to call, so he 3betbluffed alot when defending his blind. Unfortunately for me I was behind by flipping but oh well, just reload and move on and try to steal tighter against him/her.

Thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately I won't be making it to any of your next coachings :( , as I have started school once more and I have classes 11-3 in my time and your coaching goes from 12-1:30 so no way around it unless you give coachings on different days.

I could attend the basic Bronze ones on Sunday's, but I'm definately more interested in the advanced SSS coachings to improve my game as I feel I have got the hang of the basic SSS already.
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Once again updating after 2 days. Social activities and school yesterday didn't allow me to update, but here I am now with the last 2 day's update.

:spade: 14/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 1062
      :spade: BB's: -75.72
      :spade: BB/100: -7.13

:spade: 15/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 822
      :spade: BB's: +84.20
      :spade: BB/100: 10.24

Both days full of bad beats coupled with cooler hands. The bad beats are of course frustrating, and really try to put me on tilt but I've been playing good and keeping it away from me. You can't do anything about coolers, but it's horrible to see your T's against J's every time :P . I did manage to beat an AA with my AK with a runner runner straight which is always nice, specially against a villain who previously beat my KK with A3s with runner runner flush.

I finally unblocked my End of Year Iron Man Bonus, of $75, and recieved rakeback today and ended up positive today so it was a very nice end of the week. I'm currently running at 3BB/100 in NL25 which is pretty decent I guess? Tomorrow will be a difficult day to play on, cause of social activities and 2 football matches to play in, so I might be skipping tomorrow and having a good long session on Sunday.

I'm playing the Daily Dollar and currently in the top 500 out of 4000 or so so I hope to at least make it ITM in this one :) .

And now onto the hands:

Tired of getting abused on the blinds!
      Known players:      
      MP1:
      $15.35
      CO:
      $25.60
      Hero:
      $6.02

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:club: , 9:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, CO raises to $1.25, Hero raises to $6.02 (All-In), 4 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.10

Hero shows carta alta diez con kicker nueve (Tc 9s)

Hero wins with carta alta diez con kicker nueve (Tc 9s)

Still a fish!

Known players:     
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $18.73

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6:spade: , 6:diamond:
      MP3 raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5.00 (All-In), BB folds, MP3 calls $4.25.

Flop: ($10.25) Q:club: , 8:spade: , 3:spade:
      Turn: ($10.25) A:club:
      River: ($10.25) 5:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.25

Hero shows una pareja de seises (6s 6d)
      MP3 shows una pareja de dieces (Ts Tc)

MP3 wins with una pareja de dieces (Ts Tc)

Setup, but couldn't have played it differently I think?

Known players:      
      UTG2:
      $11.10
      Hero:
      $5.00
      CO:
      $17.56

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:heart: , A:spade:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, CO calls $1.25, 3 folds, UTG2 calls $1.00.

Flop: ($4.10) A:heart: , 9:heart: , 5:diamond: (3 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $3.75 (All-In), CO calls $3.75, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($11.60) 2:club:
      River: ($11.60) T:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $11.60

Hero shows una pareja de ases (Qh As)
      CO shows una pareja de ases (Kd Ad)

CO wins with una pareja de ases (Kd Ad)

Always be agressive with top pair and J kicker or better correct? :)

Known players:    
      SB:
      $4.65
      Hero:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $30.92
      MP1:
      $55.69
      CO:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:club: , Q:club: . CO posts a blind of $0.00.
      BB posted big blind of just $0.00 and is all-in.
      UTG2 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, CO checks, BU folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.00) T:spade: , 7:club: , 5:heart: (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.75, UTG2 calls $0.75, MP1 folds, CO calls $0.75, SB folds.

Turn: ($3.25) 2:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $4.00 (All-In), UTG2 folds, CO calls $4.00.

River: ($11.25) 7:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $11.25

Hero shows dos pares, dieces y sietes (Tc Qc)
      CO shows dos pares, ochos y sietes (8d 8s)

Hero wins with dos pares, dieces y sietes (Tc Qc)

And that's it for today. Thanks for reading if you did :) .
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Did end up playing today, and here are today's results.

:spade: 16/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 789
      :spade: BB's: 82.28
      :spade: BB/100: 10.43

Today's session was nice, specially since I won quite a few flips which is always nice. I of course had my fishy moments, but who doesn't? :P

Stupid river :(

Known players:      
      SB:
      $56.58
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP1:
      $28.44

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:diamond: , 3:diamond:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 4 folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.50) 8:diamond: , Q:diamond: , 9:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50.

Turn: ($3.00) 5:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.75, MP1 calls $1.75, SB folds.

River: ($6.50) J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.25 (All-In), MP1 calls $2.25.

Final Pot: $11.00

Hero shows color, dama alta (2d 3d)
      MP1 shows color, dama alta (9d 9s)

MP1 wins with color, dama alta (9d 9s)

Steal gone HORRIBLY wrong.

Known players:      
      SB:
      $4.92
      Hero:
      $5.94
      BU:
      $4.81

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , Q:heart:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, BU raises to $4.81 (All-In), SB calls $4.71, BB folds, Hero raises to $5.94 (All-In), SB calls $0.11 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Flop: ($14.90) T:club: , 3:diamond: , 2:spade:
      Turn: ($14.90) 4:heart:
      River: ($14.90) 4:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $14.90

Hero shows una pareja de cuatros (Jh Qh)
      SB shows dos pares, damas y cuatros (Qs Qc)
      BU shows full house, doses sobre cuatros (2c 2h)

BU wins with full house, doses sobre cuatros (2c 2h)

Weird hand...

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $6.00
      UTG2:
      $24.44

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:heart: , T:diamond: . CO posts a blind of $0.00.
      UTG2 calls $0.25, 3 folds, CO checks, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.60) T:club: , A:spade: , K:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.75, UTG2 calls $0.75, CO folds.

Turn: ($2.10) J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, UTG2 raises to $2.50, Hero folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.
      Final Pot: $4.60

Oh well, that's how it goes. I only lost 5 all in's today and my game was very tight which I like. Looking forward to tomorrow! Thanks for reading!
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Today's session definately sucked :(

:spade: 17/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 931
      :spade: BB's: -42.00
      :spade: BB/100: -4.51

I encountered ALOT of coolers, and the one hand where I managed to cooler someone, the guy flops a set :( . Sad to say this was dissappointing and I kept hitting the wrong end of the stick when going all in as villains kept hitting 2 outers and 3outers as well :( , but I am I was able to control my tilt, didn't loose my cool, and managed to pull myself back up from -$30 to -$10 which looks more normal. I might also be doing another session tonight but I'm not sure yet. Anyways here are the good/bad/fishy hands of the session:

My only cooler gets cracked :(
      Known players:       
      MP1:
      $29.28
      Hero:
      $7.50

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:heart: , Q:diamond: . UTG1 posts a blind of $0.00.
      UTG1 checks, UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $1.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $7.50 (All-In), 4 folds, MP1 calls $6.25.

Flop: ($15.35) 2:club: , 6:diamond: , J:heart:
      Turn: ($15.35) 5:spade:
      River: ($15.35) 5:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $15.35

Hero shows dos pares, damas y cincos (Qh Qd)
      MP1 shows full house, jotas sobre cincos (Js Jd)

MP1 wins with full house, jotas sobre cincos (Js Jd)

Grrrrr....

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $5.00
      CO:
      $5.46

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K:heart: , K:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, MP3 folds, CO raises to $3.00, 3 folds, Hero raises to $5.00 (All-In), CO calls $2.00.

Flop: ($10.35) 9:spade: , 3:diamond: , T:diamond:
      Turn: ($10.35) J:club:
      River: ($10.35) 7:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.35

Hero shows una pareja de reyes (Kh Kc)
      CO shows dos pares, jotas y dieces (Js Th)

CO wins with dos pares, jotas y dieces (Js Th)

At least this hand helped me recover nicely.

Known players:      
      BB:
      $22.66
      Hero:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $31.53

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q:heart: , K:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, MP2 calls $1.00, 4 folds, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) Q:diamond: , J:diamond: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.75, MP2 calls $1.75, BB calls $1.75.

Turn: ($8.35) 4:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.25 (All-In), MP2 calls $2.25, BB calls $2.25.

River: ($15.10) T:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $15.10

Hero shows escalera, rey alto (Qh Kh)
      MP2 shows una pareja de ases (Ad Ah)
      BB shows una pareja de dieces (Ac Ts)

Hero wins with escalera, rey alto (Qh Kh)

LOL fish!

Known players:       
      MP1:
      $11.53
      Hero:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:spade: , A:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, 2 folds, MP1 calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.85) 2:diamond: , A:heart: , A:club: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.85) J:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $2.85, Hero raises to $3.75 (All-In), MP1 calls $0.90.

River: ($10.35) 4:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.35

Hero shows trío, ases (Ts As)
      MP1 shows una pareja de ases (Qd Ks)

Hero wins with trío, ases (Ts As)

Oh well, I'm unsure to play later on today, but it's no biggie I'll decide later on depending on how I feel. I'm pretty tired from 3 football games played in under 30 hours, and with the kind of luck I had today, it just feels like it's not a very good day to play on. I wish the bad beats/coolers would spread out more lol unlike today where I had loads of them. Anyways thanks for reading!
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Another day, another update, another swingy but nice session :s_grin: .

:spade: 18/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 803
      :spade: BB's: 66.20
      :spade: BB/100: 8.24

Well I ran into a very nice heater and I had made nearly $30 in under 500 hands. I didn't know this as I wasn't looking at my results and I try not to do so until the end of the session. I then started losing some pots and I still find it hard to get away from AQ. I'll show a hand where it was so obvious I was beat but I still decided to push on the off chance of flipping with all the dead money but oh well. I kept on playing to make the 100 FT points of the day, and I ended up +$16 which is still really nice. Still 13 more days to grind in NL25, but I'm feeling confident I'll be moving to advanced SSS soonish.

Anyways here are today's interesting hands:

Yey no bad beat here!

Known players:      
      Hero:
      $5.35
      MP2:
      $26.85
      BU:
      $5.80

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:club: , A:spade: . CO posts a blind of $0.00.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1.25, 2 folds, BU raises to $5.80 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $4.10 (All-In), MP2 calls $4.55.

Flop: ($17.30) 6:spade: , K:spade: , 6:heart:
      Turn: ($17.30) 5:club:
      River: ($17.30) 2:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $17.30

Hero shows dos pares, ases y seises (Ac As)
      BU shows dos pares, dieces y seises (Th Tc)
      MP2 shows dos pares, damas y seises (Qc Qs)

Hero wins with dos pares, ases y seises (Ac As)

Eh fishy moment of the day :( Shouldn't have risked my 'deepstack' to the donkbet.

Known players:       
      BB:
      $10.63
      Hero:
      $7.20

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with K:club: , A:club:
      Hero raises to $1.00, 6 folds, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.10) 5:spade: , J:heart: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $1.75, Hero raises to $6.20 (All-In), BB calls $4.45.

Turn: ($14.50) 7:club:
      River: ($14.50) 7:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $14.50

Hero shows una pareja de sietes (Kc Ac)
      BB shows dos pares, damas y sietes (Qh Qs)

BB wins with dos pares, damas y sietes (Qh Qs)

I had overcards and OESD, too bad I was dominated and only had my OESD outs AND he had one blocker :(

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $5.10
      CO:
      $21.23

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:club: , J:spade:
      5 folds, CO calls $0.25, BU folds, Hero raises to $1.25, BB folds, CO calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.75) T:heart: , 8:spade: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, CO raises to $3.00, Hero raises to $3.85 (All-In), CO calls $0.85.

Turn: ($10.45) 2:heart:
      River: ($10.45) 2:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $10.45

Hero shows una pareja de doses (Ac Js)
      CO shows una pareja de doses (Qh As)

CO wins with una pareja de doses (Qh As)

Need to get this AQ leak out of my game! Stupid push :(
      Known players:     
      Hero:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $6.61
      MP1:
      $16.64
      BU:
      $7.99

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.85, MP1 calls $0.85, 3 folds, BU calls $0.85, Hero raises to $5.00 (All-In), BB folds, UTG2 raises to $6.61 (All-In), 2 folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

Flop: ($11.95) 5:diamond: , 4:spade: , 7:heart:
      Turn: ($11.95) J:spade:
      River: ($11.95) 6:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $11.95

Hero shows carta alta as con kicker dama (Ad Qh)
      UTG2 shows carta alta as con kicker rey (Ks Ac)

UTG2 wins with carta alta as con kicker rey (Ks Ac)

Checking my stats just now, I realize I didn't play the standard tight 7/7 VPIP PFR but rather played 8.1/7.9 which means I was doing some things wrong. I'll have to study this session further and figure out what leak I have that made me play a bit looser.

Anyways thanks for reading!
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Sad day today. the day FTP updates and kills all hope of SSSing there for now. I'm working out the details now to be able to make a small $50 deposit throught Neteller and then be able to cash out my money. hopefully FT will give me an extra first deposit bonus for an extra $50 and so I can be out of there. Now the question is where to move on to?

Anyways I have until Friday to decide where to move, as that's when I will get my rakeback for the week which should be around $30, totalling my FTP adventure to a nice $510 earned out of PS.com's $50 recieved back in the first days of September. I will then wait until next Friday, to recieve what I make from playing a little from today until next Monday, while hopefully being settled already in another site and order stuff from the FT shop so that it doesn't get discounted from my last minor rakeback. I'll do a full FT recap on Friday and today is my last update until I settle into a new site as I will use this time to analyze sessions, study, watch videos and improve my game in order to start NL50 succesfully with advanced SSS.

But anyway today I played in those 'shallow' tables and they were quite soft, BUT there were at most 3 available at one time, and so I opened up a NL50 one as well and had Elephant running at the same time for the first time. It was weird but nice playing with stats, and so much easier to identify the fish from the SSS regs like myself. The fold BB to steal stat was definately nice to have with me. Didn't play much though due to this low traffic.

:spade: 19/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 210
      :spade: BB's: 59.80
      :spade: BB/100: 28.48

Easy push since TT+ probably plays it differently.

Known players:      
      SB:
      $5.09
      BB:
      $18.03
      Hero:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9:heart: , 9:club:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, SB calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.00) 4:club: , 6:diamond: , 2:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.50, Hero raises to $4.00 (All-In), SB folds, BB calls $2.50.

Turn: ($11.00) J:diamond:
      River: ($11.00) Q:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $11.00

Hero shows una pareja de nueves (9h 9c)
      BB shows carta alta as con kicker rey (Ad Ks)

Hero wins with una pareja de nueves (9h 9c)

I'm a fish cause I limp, but I know only to continue with 2pair or better.

Known players:   
      Hero:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $14.26
      MP3:
      $11.80
      CO:
      $37.11
      BU:
      $10.35

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:spade: , 8:heart:
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BU calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 9:diamond: , 8:club: , 5:diamond: (5 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.00, BU folds.

Turn: ($4.25) 2:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $3.75 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.25

Hero shows dos pares, nueves y ochos (9s 8h)

Hero wins with dos pares, nueves y ochos (9s 8h)

The only stack I lost today, which I could've easily avoided but no worries.

Known players:     
      Hero:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $7.16
      MP1:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $18.50

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:club: , J:spade:
      UTG2 raises to $0.75, MP1 raises to $10.00 (All-In), MP2 folds, MP3 calls $10.00, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.90 (All-In), BB folds, UTG2 calls $6.41 (All-In).

Flop: ($32.41) K:diamond: , K:club: , 5:heart:
      Turn: ($32.41) A:heart:
      River: ($32.41) 6:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $32.41

Hero shows dos pares, reyes y jotas (Jc Js)
      MP3 shows full house, reyes sobre ases (Kh Ac)
      UTG2 shows dos pares, ases y reyes (Jd Ad)
      MP1 shows dos pares, reyes y damas (Qs Qc)

MP3 wins with full house, reyes sobre ases (Kh Ac)

And that's it for now. It'd be nice if my readers want to chime in with opinions on sites other than Stars (which I don't have tracked) to move for NL50 and then once that is beat, I'm hoping to move to Pokerstars eventually.
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Another post, mainly for myself as a reminder and to be able to link to the first post of my blog. My future goals to study for the advanced SSS for NL50 and beyond hopefully.

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: ADVANCED SSS STUDY MATERIAL :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:

Basic Level

Articles
      • None

Videos

Bronze Level

Articles
      • None

Videos

Silver Level

Articles
      • None

Videos

Gold Level

Articles
      • Short Stack Strategy: Advanced Pre-flop Play
      • Shortstack-Strategy: Sklansky-Chubukov numbers and preflop pushes
      • Shortstack-Strategy: Adjusting the reraise-ranges
      • Short Stack Strategy: Steals and Resteals
      • Short Stack Strategy: The Isolation Raise
      • Short Stack Strategy: How to React to Flop Raises and Donk Bets
      • How to Use PokerTracker Stats

Videos
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: NL 25 SSS SUMMARY :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:

Well it's a little earlier than expected (31/01/2010) but it's all Full Tilt's fault.

I'm moving out of FTP once I clear a last bonus of $49 and recieve my last rakeback. I had a good run there, the rakeback + nice bonuses allowed me to build up a very nice bankroll which will let me take full advantage of the first deposit bonus of Cake and the experience and skills developped are of course priceless. Here is a total rundown for my NL25 SSS course:

:spade: 09/01/10 - 25/01/10
      :spade: Hands: 9282
      :spade: BB's: 328
      :spade: BB/100: 3.5

Graph:

Stats:

Today I had a -1BI session. I'm going nuts waiting on my first deposit bonus to be activated so I decided to open up the few shallow tables on FT. Ended up positive in NL50 and down 1 BI in NL25 due to tilt as I was playing SH for a long time before the table filled up and this one guy kept hitting monsters every round and I lost 1 flip against him but oh well, no biggie.

I know 9k hands are a very very small sample, but the trend in the graph shows it was clearly not an upswing, but rather a steady move upward, as backed up by my BB/100 winnings. I'd love opinions on my stats, as I think they are pretty much optimal, and without using a HUD I don't think the fold SB/BB to steal can be improved much if you stick to the SHC completely which I always tried to do. 8.1/7.6 seems pretty good for a SS with an ORLP of 14.1 which indicates I was stealing. Huge aggression factor as you always cbet and a nice W$@SD of 52.9%. I'd say these are pretty good but I'm sure other people can comment on them.

Well anyways thanks for following me so far if you have, and I look forward to my Cake experiences, although it's too bad I won't be able to post as many hands here or in the evaluation forums due to no tracking by Elephant and the best I could do right now is use the 15 trial period of HM as I already used yp the 3 months from PT3.

My plans for February are to unlock the first deposit bonus between SSS NL20/50 in Cake and hopefully get enough Gold Chips to get myself the Xbox360 package they have available. Afterwards, hopefully staying in the positive in terms of winnings plus the bonus, I'll be gold, have analyzed/studied alot of advanced SSS studying material and move on to Pokerstars and settle down there for maybe an attempt at Supernova and later on SNE if things go well.
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Had an absolutely terrible day today, of a 10 by in's loss. I lost 4 straight flips in a row which put me on tilt and made me lose a few more buyins by playing stupid, and then I lost another 3 with KK vs Ax's when the A hit the board, AK losing to J9 and 96... and add to that the 4 coolers I got. So frustrating, I shouldn't even be playing in FT anymore but my stupid bonus hasn't activated yet. Such a dissappointment, losing more than half the money I had generated in a single session... I was so close to $600 and now I'm close to $500, I want to move out of FT ASAP.

A very dissappointing day for me, I thought I was making good progress and it all goes down the drain in a single session... I know it's variance but it hit me too strongly...
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Heya!

The only thing I can see is that you have to steal more (15% -> 30% at most/least)

Also you have to work a bit on your restaeling thing!

But remember, it is all about how you play your hand!

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      This sums up my luck as of yesterday and today. Instead of making today a +$60 day, right before I'm closing my session I get KK...

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $16.87
      BU:
      $48.19

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:club: , K:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, CO folds, BU raises to $3.35, 2 folds, Hero raises to $16.87 (All-In), BU calls $13.52.

Flop: ($34.09) 9:club: , 6:spade: , Q:heart:
      Turn: ($34.09) 2:heart:
      River: ($34.09) 8:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $34.09

Hero shows una pareja de reyes (Kc Kh)
      BU shows trío, damas (Qs Qc)

BU wins with trío, damas (Qs Qc)

BS :( Literally 2nd to last hand of the session, so tilting...
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i lost an almost identical hand on nl25 except it was for a $95 pot.be happy that u were not full stacked