BSS: Weak PocketPairs, when to call raises PF?

• c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      The SHC v1.1 states that with smaller pocketpairs (= TT-) you should call raises preflop, if the amount to call multiplied by 15 is smaller than the minimum of your tablebankroll and the tablebankroll of the raiser. Considering the good implied odds when hitting a set, this seems to be a good advice to me (and often enough works well for me too). However in many cases the situation is not that clear to me, and i wonder how to correctly play if:

1.) The tablebankroll of the raiser is to small to justify a call based on implied odds but there is a third player calling that raise who has a bankroll that is big enough. Are the implied odds still justifying a call in that situation? Or does the fact that he called and did not raise change that?

2.) On the microstakes that i play (NL$5) it is a quite common situation that almost everyone (like 4-6 players) call that raise, which really inflates the pot. Does that affect the implied odds in way that a call is justified? Or would it be correct to fold, because the probability that someone will hit his flop increases?

3.) When i do not hit my flop, it is not unusual on the stakes that i am playing at currently that people just do a minimum bet after seeing the flop. These bets usually give me good potodds (like 1:10). Call that or just fold with a smile?
  • 2 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi c4t0r!

1.) Yes, in this case it is profitable to call the raise because you get enough implied odds from the third player.

2.) The more callers preflop the more profitable it is for you to call as well because the potsize - callsize ratio becomes better and better the more limpers (players who just called the big blind) are in the pot.

3.) There is a very important rule, when you play with small pocket pairs against two or more opponents: If you don't hit you have an easy fold.

I recommend to (re-)read our "odds&outs" article. This article is very important and very useful for playing NL BSS.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Continuing with small pairs when getting very good odds is sometimes possible. They may be best (but usually not in any situation where you're getting the odds and you'll need to pay more to get to showdown), your two outs may be good and may have implied odds attached (check what draws the two remaining cards of your rank complete to discount!) and you may have an opportunity to steal the pot. But for a beginner giving up is absolutely the right thing to do as you'll lose more money by continuing when it's inappropriate to do so than you stand to gain.

There is an additional benefit to playing small pairs in large pots: it takes very little betting for your opponents to be committed, so you'll get your set to showdown and stack at least one player (these are the micro limits after all, stacking three players is entirely possible) more often and most of the money goes in on the flop, which is the result you want with sets.