Nut flush vs straight flush

• Enomai
      Enomai
      Bronze
      Can't get into the hand evaluation forum for some reason so I hope it's alright to post this in here. Just wanted some feedback as to whether I played this OK. Is there any way I should have folded to the re-raise on the river? Could kinda see it coming but I figured (hoped) he might just be on the 2nd flush.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($3.23)
      Button ($2.11)
      SB ($6.84)
      Hero (BB) ($3.59)
      UTG ($2.77)
      MP ($3.39)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 6, 4, A
      3 folds, Button calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.06) Q, 7, 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, Button calls $0.04

Turn: ($0.18) 8 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, 1 fold

River: ($0.42) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.32, Hero raises to $1.32, SB raises to $4.38, Hero calls $2.09 (All-In)

Total pot: $7.24 | Rake: $0.35

Results below:
      SB had J, 7, 10, 10 (straight flush, Queen high).
      Hero had 5, 6, 4, A (flush, Ace high).
      Outcome: SB won $6.89
  • 8 replies
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      I think this is one of those situations where there is only 1 hand that is beating you and I am always going to call here.

I don't play much Omaha so I may well be wrong but if you fold the A high flush on a board like this every time you will lose so much value when he is bluffing or playing two pair, a set, a str8, or lower flush that I will pay him off every time.

If you have notes on him that say he only raises the river with the absolute nuts then possibly you could fold but even then it would feel very tight.

I don't see anything wrong with how the hand was played - you could have raised the turn perhaps, but that is immaterial as all the chips were going in one way or another.

As I say Omaha is not my primary game I only play it for a break from NL so someone with more experience in that may be able to comment differently.

I just say vnh and reload.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Standard, what you gonna do.

Also don't open limp on the button.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      you can't fold here. it's way more likely to be ahead against an overplayed lower flush than the straight flush both because of hand-combinations and the fact that people play bad.

nice hand.
    • Enomai
      Enomai
      Bronze
      Cheers guys, didn't think there was much I coulda done. Been having a string of luck like that over the last few days. Played just over 3k hands of Omaha this year and so far my non-showdown winnings are actually higher than my showdown winnings! ;/

And Jackalof, I didn't open limp the button, villain did!
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze

Oh sorry, my bad :)
    • Enomai
      Enomai
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof

Oh sorry, my bad :)
      Hehe np. I may not have a firm grasp on the intricacies of Omaha yet, but I know how to play poker! :P
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      This is what is called a setup, one of the best setups on TV can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYwPGMaqMc
    • Svizac28
      Svizac28
      Bronze
      I think your play was perfectly fine. Since board isnt paired, full house isnt possible so you have the nuts. Even though straight flush is possible it's really really rare so you shouldnt worry about it.

Coolers happen sometimes.