[NL2-NL10] NL5 - 33 on BU.

• mdblee

If anyone can comment wether I played this correctly or not I'd appreciate it!
      Both opponents seemed reasonably tight after sitting with them for approx 25 hands.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with 3, 3.
      MP3 calls $0.05, CO folds, Hero calls $0.05, SB calls $0.03, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.2) 3, 8, 9 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP3 bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.19, SB folds, BB folds, MP3 raises to $0.33, Hero raises to $1.19, MP3 raises to $8.91, Hero calls $7.67.

Turn: ($17.92) 7 (2 players)

River: ($17.92) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $17.92.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows a full-house, nines full of eights(9 9).
      Hero shows a full-house, threes full of eights(3 3).

MP3 wins with a full-house, nines full of eights(9 9).
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd raise it up preflop, we're like 180bb deep, it'd be sad if we hit a set and we weren't able to get a lot of money in because it started as a limped pot. Plus MP3 is open limping so he's likely not a good player, he'll probably limp/fold a bunch and/or play weakly postflop with air even if he limp/calls, with position it's hugely profitable to get more money in there.

As played it's really hard to say, usually we're not looking to fold sets, even bottom set, but getting to a point where you're getting 200bb stacks in in a limped pot requires so many reraises that you're usually up against a range that only includes higher sets and maybe huge combodraws, barring a read that villain is capable of vastly overplaying something like a top pair with a minbet/3bet line. Usually people with a draw start calling at some point instead of reraising. The fact that he's probably playing 98 like that kinda forces us to get it in anyway, but if there is any chance he's tight enough not to felt 98 like that, i think it's actually a spot where we can let go of 33.

Hope it helps.
    • michaelqian
      Ouch.... Sorry for the loss, indeed a tough cooler.