Razz BRB [.25/.50 - BR@139]

• KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      “Razz … a beautiful, beautiful form of poker”
      Ted Forrest, Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide

“It took me, what? Two minutes to realize how to play razz.”
      Kenny Tran on the WSOP HORSE broadcast, later eliminated from final table during the razz rotation.

“Razz is one of the purest forms of poker, because the good players will make the money and the bad players lose the money.”
      Ted Forrest, Full Tilt Strategy Guide: Tournament Edition

Hi, I am thinking of started a new challenge for my self... I normally am playing the NL50 6 max games but I really love razz but have never put the time in to really learn the game in full detail so I thought I would challenge myself by seriously trying to grind out a 2nd bankroll with Razz.
      So mostly I will be 2 tabling but sometimes there just aren't a lot of tables around and I may have to just play 1 at a time. I will use the 300BB rule for moving up and down. (I am playing 8max tables) I THINK!, I will start at the .25/.50 games which means $150 starting BR and move down when I hit $75 & go to .50/1 with $300. Also I won't be using any programs for the most part...at least not yet since I will most likely take advantage of the PokerTrackerStud free trial

How much "variance" is normal? According to what I read, at micro Razz, if you win 2.5BB/100, an expected standard deviation is 16BB/100. (Remember, this is over many. many hands - not a few hundred, at least ten thousand.) At this level, there is a 1% chance of a 235BB downswing. And that, it seems to me, is where the standard advice comes from to have a 300BB bankroll.-Quoted from a Winning midstack Razz player

I will start this challenge with in a week or so just have to move some funds around and deal with school stuff all this week since we just started a new semester.

I would love to hear others thoughts, most people say Razz is the worst game ever :f_biggrin:
  • 9 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      While razz is rather nice, i wouldn't play it for 2.5BB/100h at micro stakes. I would play something else besides hold'em if i can make more money this way.

From what i know the game is rather simple also, which means you won't find a lot of fish.

In my mind the logical thing to do is: if you are a succesful holdem player at least at medium stakes and there are so many regs that you're profit is rather small then try another game.

I would chose another game with decent trafic and give it a go. One of my very very long term goals is to learn them all and hunt the fish. I'm thinking now about HORSE... that should be the hardest game in my opinion.

But if you like so much razz, play razz. Tell us how it went.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by andreibalint
      From what i know the game is rather simple also, which means you won't find a lot of fish.

Yes it is a pretty simple game in theory but at the stakes I will be playing there really are a ton of fish who really don't understand the game fully. Let me give you an example in HU razz, usually the lowest card will always raise the bring in and for the most part we can assume he will have any two cards so if he has XX6 and we have something like A2T we have 55% equity. These more detailed looks into equity is something I never really looked into but I plan too.
      Also I will maybe play the odd Razz Sng (8max or HU) though usually only the HU games get filled.
    • eSGe
      eSGe
      Bronze
      I see RAZZ is more and more popular In Polish forum one member play 50/100$ razz :f_biggrin:
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by eSGe
      I see RAZZ is more and more popular In Polish forum one member play 50/100$ razz :f_biggrin:
      If he knows english tell him to check back later to look at hands that I may post :f_biggrin:
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by andreibalint
      While razz is rather nice, i wouldn't play it for 2.5BB/100h at micro stakes. I would play something else besides hold'em if i can make more money this way.
      I am making money from my 6max NL50 play, but I have less time to focus on the game since school and personal stuff... Also it kinda is nice to play a completely different game once in a while, I am not playing to make money but more for the experince, I could just jump into like 2/4 but I would rather try to build myself up to that limit.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Day 1: So I got in about 200 hands on .25/.50, and the BR is at $156 now

I made a video and did a review and I noticed I have been playing rather tight which I think is okay for now but I have been reading some more stuff on razz and trying to find videos out there I think stoxpoker is the best for razz materials cardrunners has like 3 videos on razz.

After doing some more reading and watching some videos I have noticed that I almost never stole which is something I will TRY to add to my game though I think players will just call me down pretty wide at .25/.50 so it's not something I want to get to crazy with.
    • perfectto
      perfectto
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KidPokersKid
      Originally posted by eSGe
      If he knows english tell him to check back later to look at hands that I may post :f_biggrin:
      I am from polish comunity and also play razz, but I am not The Hero, who crush 50/100 :D

If you want, you can ask him about something in his blog (in polish):
      http://pl.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=54321&page=9

His profile:
      http://pl.pokerstrategy.com/community/profile/Shuma87
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Day 2 I got in about 600 hands , not really a great time but the BR stands at 139 took a hit today as I had two stations on both of my tables and I was just not getting cards for the first half of the session and also I think i as stealing a bit to much as this guy just wasnt folding I dont think he was even looking at my board just looking at what cards he needed to hit some decent hand for SD lol.

I am a little bit rusty I hope to put in a large session soon and try to get a big boost to my BR as long as I am playing my A game I think I am light years ahead of the players at this limit.
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      Interested in this blog. I can see how you can make money at low stakes Razz. I am more interested on how much one can make at higher stakes because of the games simplistic nature, an edge would be very minute. Swings would be crippling no?

but gl and prove me wrong